Cross canada trip this Summer

huzzsaba

This Summer (End of June-Beginning of July) the plan is to drive across Canada with the family from GTA to Edmonton to visit my parents, followed by Calgary and Banff. Then make the trip back.

We will stick to driving through Canada only so on the way there, we will be stopping overnight in hotels in Sault Ste Marie, (hopefully do some nightime walleye fishing :Gonefishing: ), Thunder Bay, and then a town called Moosomin in SK. Finally reaching our destination in Edmonton. We stay in Edmonton for a few nights and then continue to Calgary for a night then spend 2 nights camping in Bow Valley Provincial park right outside Banff.

On the way back the plan is to make stops in Medicine Hat,Winnipeg, and then 2 nights camping in Sleeping Giant Provincial park. Then finally another night in Sault Ste Marie before finally returning back home.

Feel free to share some tips or must see places on the way. We usually keep our own food, so anything besides food or drink related attractions would be great. Also any fishing tips would be appreciated especially if anyone is familiar with Bow Valley PP and Sleeping Giant PP. I believe both places we have campsite right on the water so hopefully that should help catch a fish or 2.

I have been dreaming of making a cross Canada trip for the longest time. Hoping to make the best of it :D .

Edited by huzzsaba

This Summer (End of June-Beginning of July) the plan is to drive across Canada with the family from GTA to Edmonton to visit my parents, followed by Calgary and Banff. Then make the trip back.

We will stick to driving through Canada only so on the way there, we will be stopping overnight in hotels in Sault Ste Marie, (hopefully do some nightime walleye fishing :Gonefishing: ), Thunder Bay, and then a town called Moosemin in SK. Finally reaching our destination in Edmonton. We stay in Edmonton for a few nights and then continue to Calgary for a night then spend 2 nights camping in Bow Valley Provincial park right outside Banff.

On the way back the plan is to make stops in Medicine Hat,Winnipeg, and then 2 nights camping in Sleeping Giant Provincial park. Then finally another night in Sault Ste Marie before finally returning back home.

Feel free to share some tips or must see places on the way. We usually keep our own food, so anything besides food or drink related attractions would be great. Also any fishing tips would be appreciated especially if anyone is familiar with Bow Valley PP and Sleeping Giant PP. I believe both places we have campsite right on the water so hopefully that should help catch a fish or 2.

I have been dreaming of making a cross Canada trip for the longest time. Hoping to make the best of it :D .

Mooseomin SK. LOL

Got gas there once and all I could think of was JEEBAS!!! I'm in Dog River!!!! LOL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Don't sell yourself short.. cross into the USA in BC. Come back though Washington State, Hit Yellowstone, tour Montana, the Dakotas and then come back into Canada at Deluth! Gas will also be about 60% the cost below the border.

Edited by irishfield

Don't sell yourself short.. cross into the USA in BC. Come back though Washington State, Hit Yellowstone, tour Montana, the Dakotas and then come back into Canada at Deluth! Gas will also be about 60% the cost below the border.

I appreciate the suggestions. Going through the US makes sense but will have to wait for another trip.

Mooseomin SK. LOL

Got gas there once and all I could think of was JEEBAS!!! I'm in Dog River!!!! LOL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

That's the best and cheapest place I could find for a stopover lol

I did Vancouver to Barrie last year. All the interesting parts stop when it gets flat, lol. Cruising without having to worry about the cops too much was nice :)

I once drove from Omaha NE to Kansas, so I understand what you mean by flat. My father in law was with us for that trip, and ever since, he always reminds me of how bored he was on that trip.

I appreciate the suggestions. Going through the US makes sense but will have to wait for another trip.

That's the best and cheapest place I could find for a stopover lol

I once drove from Omaha NE to Kansas, so I understand what you mean by flat. My father in law was with us for that trip, and ever since, he always reminds me of how bored he was on that trip.

I kept expecting Brent or Hank to come out and fill up my car when I pulled in for gas!!! :lol: :lol:

My dad and I did Toronto to Vancouver in 2014...The moment you cross the Ontario border, it's a pretty long and uneventful grassy drive till you hit Calgary.

And yes, there are cops in the prairies...We were advised to keep it 119 and under (Speed limit is 110 km/hr)...My dad got pulled over just outside of Medicine hat with only a warning.LOL

Some tips:

- Bring more than 1 CD in the car (I won't make that mistake again.LOL)

- Gas stations in Northern Ontario can be long distances away from each other. If a sign says you should gas up now, you probably should.

- I would avoid driving at night in the rural areas. We saw a few flipped over cars on our journey because people swerved into the ditch to avoid hitting deer and other animals. The truckers in SK warned us about the Pronghorn antelope.

If I was in Edmonton and had to go to Calgary, I would take the more scenic (but longer route) through Jasper and Banff before hitting Calgary. It's an amazingly beautiful drive. You need a National parks fishing license on top of the Alberta fishing license if you plan to fish in Banff or Jasper - It's $9 per day on top of the regular Alberta fishing license. I only caught a few small rainbows and the odd mountain whitefish when I fished the road side creeks and rivers.

Sault Ste Marie is a city made for fisherman. Perhaps my 2nd favourite fishing spot on our trip. Aside from the walleyes, there are steelhead in the rapids all year long. The city seems so welcoming to anglers. The biting insects are pretty vicious though.LOL

It's a trip I would love to do again!

Crazy Mike, I saw one cop from Lethbridge to Winnipeg. I also averaged probably 160-170 the entire way, lol (Although this car was made for it :) ) I guess I got lucky!

I used to drive from fort Frances to grande prairie often. I've seen two or three cops in sask. Highways in like 50 trips

Canada's Autobahn lol

Edited by manitoubass2

In Sault Ste Marie, don't miss the Bushplane Museum. One of the things thats truly worth seeing here.

What MJL said about the fishing.

leave to head north in the morning..as nice as the Rockies are, The trip from Sault to Thunder bay is a close second

You don't want to miss it driving at night

If you go a little past Edmonton, the Pembina provincial park is awsome. It's like a natural lazy river complete with guys renting tubes.

Fishing is great in Dryden and nicest people I have met in my life. Take the 17 rather then the 11 to Thunder Bay. Most beautiful view we have in Canada. If you can start your trip going to Tobermory then taking the Chi-Chi mun to the manatoulin island, highly reccomended.

When I think of more I'll add to this.

Yeah, you won't miss anything taking 17 instead of 11. The view along 17 from the Sault to TBay is fantastic. Make sure to do that during the day.

Agreed. Once upon a time, Hearst Ontario had the best hamburgers I had ever eaten in my life at a little chip stand called Mikos. It was a debate if I would take the 11 or the 17 (yes, the burgers were that good). Last time, coming back from Edmonton in 2014, I decided to go the 11 route for my fill. The stand had been sold by the family to someone else. They insisted that the recipe had been sold along with the stand, but it was clear some secrets live and die with the ones who created them. It was never the same, and not worth the detour. Make sure to give extra time along the 17 from Sault to Thunder Bay. Lots of scenic viewpoints with parking you will want to stop and 'stretch your legs' at.

been lucky enough to go to every province and not so lucky to have done the drive from the manitoba sask border to edmonton many many times ahhaha. The first trip there though is interesting. The prairies are still definitely something to see. I thought that the battlefords were always pretty neat...it is what you make of it. Even lloydminister can be interesting if you see the provincial border in the middle of town.

if you are driving to calgary via edmonton, i would do so by driving through drumheller...the badlands are friggin crazy

the calgary to banff drive...phh just drive it...your jaw will basically be on the floor once you hit bow valley.

I would also highly highly recommend driving the ice fields parkway towards jasper even if you turn back after getting to the crow foot glacier and the columbia ice fields. That is probably the most incredible drive anyone can ever do. It only takes an afternoon and is totally worth it.

Thanks for the replies thus far! Lots of helpful tips and advice.

Rick I would love to meet. Lets see how the schedule and trip works out close to then :) .

MJL, lots of tips. Thanks. I will definitely not forget the cds as well as the DVD player for the kids! Best defense against the constant "are we there yet" question lol.

Akrisoner, I was thinking of skipping the drive from Edmonton- Jasper-banff, and just doing Calgary to banff, however looks like Jasper will have to be part of the itinerary as per your recommendation

Bill, Definitely taking the 17 all the way to thunder bay. thanks.

Jeremy, I was thinking of going to manitoulin first, but may do that at another time this summer. Went there 2 years ago and can't wait to go back!

Dara, we will check out the museum. Also we plan to do most of the driving from 8am to 8pm. Hopefully we shouldn't miss any good scenic spots due to nightime.

Museum is right downtown and there is a nice boardwalk along the river there. One of the best walleye spots is in front of the hotel by the mall

15 minute walk up around the locks puts you in steelhead rapids

Yeah, you should see the locks too

Edited by Dara

been lucky enough to go to every province and not so lucky to have done the drive from the manitoba sask border to edmonton many many times ahhaha. The first trip there though is interesting. The prairies are still definitely something to see. I thought that the battlefords were always pretty neat...it is what you make of it. Even lloydminister can be interesting if you see the provincial border in the middle of town.

if you are driving to calgary via edmonton, i would do so by driving through drumheller...the badlands are friggin crazy

the calgary to banff drive...phh just drive it...your jaw will basically be on the floor once you hit bow valley.

I would also highly highly recommend driving the ice fields parkway towards jasper even if you turn back after getting to the crow foot glacier and the columbia ice fields. That is probably the most incredible drive anyone can ever do. It only takes an afternoon and is totally worth it.

Yeah, I always like driving through the Battlefords.

I also take the Yellowhead instead of the Trans Canada from Manitoba West.

Much more scenic than the South route.

If you somehow have to drive at night on 17 you would be wise to follow behind a semi truck.. They can hit the Moose for you.. We drove up 11 on a night with little traffic and almost paid for it with our lives when a cow moose ran out in front of us.. I could see the white of her eyes.. I bet they were as bugged out as ours were.. Lol

We've driven 17 at night a lot of times. It can be a bit scary (Especially in the spring) but you really just need to pay attention and have some good lighting on your vehicle. Personally I'd be more worried about the other truck drivers (Been almost taken out by them a few times) then I would the moose.

If you somehow have to drive at night on 17 you would be wise to follow behind a semi truck.. They can hit the Moose for you.. We drove up 11 on a night with little traffic and almost paid for it with our lives when a cow moose ran out in front of us.. I could see the white of her eyes.. I bet they were as bugged out as ours were.. Lol

this happens on 69 north of go home lake almost every weekend...no need to go that far north to smack a moose. its scary as hell driving a car up there at night any weekend.

Ive only been doing it for 10 years and have had 3 close calls.

Edited by AKRISONER

This is the best advice I can give as someone who drove a sedan from Thunder Bay to Toronto for 4 summers. If you drive at night, find an 18 wheeler, give er space and let her set the pace. Going 10 below the speed limit is ok if it means you get there in one piece.