Ordering from USA

captpierre

Duties can be a hit and miss depending on the amount and item description, goods made in USA have no duties,

I have had good luck with US postal service.

And the worst luck with UPS, they even charge a brokerage fee.

I don't buy from sellers who use only UPS for shipping.

eBay.com or ebay.ca is the same but they show cdn prices if it does not show up on ebay.ca but is on .com, most times it means they dont ship to canada, if you have them ship by usps/ canada post they often just let it go though but the greater the price the more chance on them checking for duty and taxes

Amazon.com. most times include everything in their final price

see if it is for sale on amazon .ca too

Edited by Terry

Everything I have read here is accurate to what I have experienced in the past. I started shipping to a company in the US to take advantage of free shipping within the states and just go and pick it up myself but I live close to the border. The nice thing is you get free shipping there and you don't have to worry about EPS charging you a ridiculous brokerage fee.

But yes, I have always tried to order stuff from places that ship USPS is it is under $100 and if I am delivering to my door.

And as a side note, assume you will be hit with customs. 9/10 times I find even when an item is on sale, once you add is duties, HST and shipping, I can get it cheaper here by shopping around.

I have started buying a lot of stuff through Amazon and it's saved me a bundle! Printer cartridges that I pay $79.00 a set for at Staples, got them on Amazon (2 sets plus a spare bulk black) $23.00 and they work perfectly.

Even my razors, drug store $12.95 for a pack of 3; Amazon $5.25 for a pack of 4 delivered to my door. I haven't had as much luck on Ebay a lot of items I see coming from the US look good but many of them add crazy shipping charges. I have bought some items through Ebay that come from China, never had a problem and saved a pile of money.

Bought a fully loaded android box through Amazon, $60.00 (closest thing i could find to it anywhere else was well over $100.00). Be careful though not everything is a super deal: wanted a DeWalt 20v circular saw, best price on Amazon was $179.00, got it on Ebay $107.00 CDN delivered to my door free shipping.

Edited by Big Cliff

Duties: you can mail $50.00 no duties payable - but if you use a courier they will charge you duties and brokerage fee (subsidises the "low low shipping rates) . I've actually had brokerage and duties work out to be more that the package (UPS)

USPS will work if it is under $50 (remember, exchange rate applies.)

You can arrange to ship to a company on the other side of the border and they will hold it for 30 days for 5 bucks US (most places). Then you have the Canadian exemption when you come back ( as only Canada could do, this is actually less than if you mail it?? - $35 I believe?) Collecting that is at the discretion of the officer at the booth. Frequently if it is under 200 they won't go through the paperwork for the HST. If you have a friend who lives close to the border it can be worthwhile. For instance - headlight for our minivan. Canada - $450.00. On line from California - $94 US shipped anywhere, Courier, Sarnia to me,$15.00. And now I have to a share couple beers with a bud to say thanks for picking it up. :sarcasm:

Its all situational - I have found in most instances it ends up costing the same or more from the US- and unless the difference is huge, (like the above) - I prefer to buy local.

Out of at least 2 dozen packages I had sent from the US this winter by USPS, only one was dinged for taxes and duty (it was an $800 order). The others were somewhat less but all were well over $50 and none were picked up by customs. Even the one I paid the tax and duty on was still far cheaper than I could get the stuff here even considering the exchange and shipping. I would prefer to shop local too I guess but if I can't find what I want without going to 3 different stores and then have to pay a higher price I think I'll continue to shop on-line.

Edited by G.mech

You can indeed get parcels, especially by post, where the with taxes / duties are not applied. But you can also get hit with them and have to go pick them up and pay taxes. I was just speaking to the regs and common practice. Be assured the packages are looked at a whole lot closer than they used to be

Looks like I mis-stated the mail limit - its actually $60.00

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html

Absence of less than 24 hours
  • Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers.

Sending gifts to Canada

While out of the country, you can send gifts to friends in Canada and not pay duty and taxes under the following conditions: each gift must not be worth more than CAN$60 and the gifts cannot be tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or advertising matter.

The recipient must pay the duty and taxes as well as any provincial or territorial levies that apply for each gift having a value in excess of CAN$60. You should include a card indicating that the item is a gift to avoid any misunderstanding.

Sending gifts to Canada

While out of the country, you can send gifts to friends in Canada and not pay duty and taxes under the following conditions: each gift must not be worth more than CAN$60 and the gifts cannot be tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or advertising matter.

The recipient must pay the duty and taxes as well as any provincial or territorial levies that apply for each gift having a value in excess of CAN$60. You should include a card indicating that the item is a gift to avoid any misunderstanding.

PLEASE, don't send me any FREE gifts as I can't afford them . . . . . LOL . . . . :sarcasm:

Stay away from anything UPS. Their service is horrible and anything in the $100 range you'll pay another $50 in brokerage fees.

Amazon is amazing. As is eBay. My wife gets stuff on eBay all the time and it's saved us tons of money

eBay the shipping is hit and miss. I've had items show up in 3 days or a month. Some of the China stuff takes time.

No idea how amazon does it but my orders never take more than 3 days. If you order by 8am you might even get it the next day

What Amazon invoices you is what you will pay. At least, that's been my experience for years of ordering. However, they do have that whole third party reseller component that's more like eBay. WIth eBay, I think I was charged duty/taxes once out of at least 50 purchases. I don't even remember what it was. Probably from an eBay retail store that did not put "Gift" on the package. They aren't really supposed to indicate "Gift", but most do. Other places like Bass Pro and Cabelas charge you the duty, taxes and brokerage upfront. So, you know what your order cost will be and there will be no surprise fees. Places like Tackle Warehouse use UPS and FedEx and along with your order you get a nice bill for brokerage, duty and taxes before you get your package.

Don't discount ordering from the UK either. I've found great prices there and the shipping is fairly cheap through Royal Mail. Longest delivery time was 8 days, shortest 5 days. No extra duties or taxes charged so far either.

Edited by adempsey

The only time I've had an issue is when things were shipped UPS. They like to tack on a 'brokerage' fee.

Reputable business will have all the duties, taxes, and fees worked out on your bill already so you don't need to worry about it.

If you're purchasing from someone personally or from e-bay have it declared as a gift.

As adempsey mentioned, check out UK sites as well. I've had them honor free international shipping offers without any fuss. Compare that to Bass Pro, who can't even be bothered to set up a website in Canadian dollars.

The only time I've had an issue is when things were shipped UPS. They like to tack on a 'brokerage' fee.

Reputable business will have all the duties, taxes, and fees worked out on your bill already so you don't need to worry about it.

If you're purchasing from someone personally or from e-bay have it declared as a gift.

As adempsey mentioned, check out UK sites as well. I've had them honor free international shipping offers without any fuss. Compare that to Bass Pro, who can't even be bothered to set up a website in Canadian dollars.

Also lots of goods in the UK are very well priced.

My kids wanted skateboards, from ccs, who has is the biggest mail-order skateatore in the US, boards came to $190 plus $45 shipping.

I got the same boards from the UK for $120 shipping included

I will say the same as everyone else . Stay clear of the shipping/courier companies and go with USPS if possible . A $100 item can turn into a $200 item pretty quick with all those fees !!!

I actually bought a coat from Cabela's .com a couple years ago that I thought was a great deal but by the time it got to my door it was more money then if I went to the Barrie store and

picked it up myself , lesson learned .

USPS never have any issues

I'm lucky I'm on the border and it's 10 minutes to the fedex store in NY state

I can send packages there for $3 per package and I have 1-2 weeks to pick em up before I get charged storage fees

And if it's under $100 of goods customs usually doesn't pull me in

For comparison... a package to NY state from an online store is usually free or like $10 USD tops... same package to ship it into Canada will range from $25-35 USD

So in some cases (after store fee and bridge toll) I still save $25 on shipping or more if I don't get pulled in for duty cause I don't pay tax

I use cbiusa in Niagara Falls NY to have things shipped to, if I can't find it in Canada for close to the same price. They will hold a package for as long as you need them to for 6 bucks. We go to Buffalo every couple months so I just pick it up when we are there.

I use cbiusa in Niagara Falls NY to have things shipped to, if I can't find it in Canada for close to the same price. They will hold a package for as long as you need them to for 6 bucks. We go to Buffalo every couple months so I just pick it up when we are there.

I do the same thing with SCC Parcel Pickup in Port Huron. Been getting parts from all over the States for my 50 Chevy and having it sent there. My son is an automotive engineer, working for GM in Waron Mi at the tech center. He crosses the boarder twice a day and SCC is only a 10 minute detour for him to collect the stuff. He declares whatever he's bring back at the board; but with his Nexis card, 90% of the time he's waved through. NO HST which is another 13% discount.

Dan.