Love Some Advice -- previous trips have been very disappointing...

Hey folks,

I've gone with a group of guys (4-6) 3 times now over the last few years...each trip has been fun, but we certainly didn't catch anywhere near the amount or size of fish the places said we would. Once it snowed all weekend, so that was tough, once it was too warm they said, so the fish weren't in the usual places...and once I just don't think the lodge owner (or us) could find any fish over a pound :).

Anyways, if anyone has a place they've enjoyed I'd like to hear about it.

We go for 3-4 days in Late May/early June usually.

We like to target walleye, pike, and bass if open.

I have my own boat, the others may rent one or 2.

Drive to preferred.

Anyways, glad to have a few options to look into -- any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, soft water is coming :)

Kevin

Kevin, an area you would like to explore is? I've had good times and good fish at Halimar (SP?) Lodge in Haliburton when renting a cabin with my family years ago. They have dock's you can keep the boat at and fishing for walleye and bass right there in the bay is good.

All depends where you are located and how far to travel and where you want to go...

Sorry, you posted an answer while I was typing the question LOL

And that is the big question! How far do you want to go?

My son and I are doing a fly in trip this year and I did a TON of research, the long and short of it was how much do you want to spend!

Sometimes the difference of a couple of hundred can make a huge difference in your experience, our trip is costing us $1560.00 ea for 5 days but the service, accommodations, and everything else is top notch. I could have booked less expensive trips but when I started reading reviews on them I might as well have stayed home and fished the Kawarthas.

Good luck in your quest and how about posting some of your previous trips so we can get a sense of what you have done and what you'd like to do.

Edited by Big Cliff

Sure I can do that -- here's where we've been so far and a brief description of how it went:

Auld Reekie Lodge

Owner was a very nice guy, accommodations were very nice.

Weather was very cold, and the fishing was extremely slow -- went May 24 weekend.

Caught a few bass, some pike in a nearby lake with very leaky boats, and some lake trout.

Overall the lodge didn't have much insight into the fishing -- they don't fish. There were a few other groups there that weekend and everyone struggled to catch any walleye. I think it was just a particularly tough weekend.

Horseshoe Island Camp

Again, owner was nice enough. Met him at the Spring fishing show. Booked a group of six. Had trouble with our BBQ and appliances. He was swamped with 3 other groups that I guess come up every year and he's a one man show, so he wasn't able to get our stuff working. The fishing was very slow -- caught a tonne of 11 inch walleye...called them "Bob", since they were all twins...no bigger fish, no bass. Everyone took their turns fishing the same 4 places with similar results...kept saying we should have been there last week...right, that's what they all say :)

Ellen Island Camp -- Lady Evelyn Lake

Again, accommodations were very nice and new. Boats were just ok (small). The owners also do not fish, so really had no advice on where to begin. This lake is very large, so it took us a lot of time to learn anything. Caught a few fish, but overall it was disappointing...it was also in Sept, so not exactly prime time...our fault.

These are the most recent 3 trips.

I agree Cliff you often get what you pay for, and this may factor in to our eventual choice.

I'm happy with a drive-to, and I think that'll fit most people's budgets better. We're looking for 3-4 nights, and around $500 or so makes sense to me. I'd be prepared to spend more but I don't think others in the group would be able to go much more.

Anyways, glad to know if you've been happy with your experience anywhere.

Thank you!

Wow, well done! I really like the way you laid things out!

I truly hope you have better success in the future, it's funny how subtle differences can have a huge affect.

Several years ago we bought a place on Sturgeon Lake in the Kawarthas. A good friend of mine and a local resident always did a "buddies weekend" on opening weekend where they rented a cottage, drank a lot, fished a bit, and had a good time. They ended up fishing about 250 yards from our dock, a "hot spot" known to them for many years. Anyway long story short, at the end of the evening they caught 4 or 5 walleye, Sue and I had caught 14 in an hour and a half, missed a few others, and called it quits long before they ran out of booze. Not sure if it was location or intoxication but we sure out fished them LOL.

I have been on a few fishing trips where booze was the priority but I much prefer the trips where fishing is the priority and a nice drink at the beginning ( a nice Ceaser in the morning) or perhaps a cold one with lunch and who minds a drink or a beer for a night cap.

Finally, 3-4 nights @ around $500.00 I think you are getting just about what I would expect for that (please don't take that as an insult, it isn't meant that way at all). If that is your budget but you want better then save for two or three years and have an epic adventure or do what I did; worked extra hours so I could afford the time off and the additional cost. $1000.00 isn't that hard to make!

Edited by Big Cliff

Early in the season I think Lady Evelyn might be worth another shot.

I don't know if you would want to tow your own boat in there but Biscotasing is an option

www.greyowlcamps.com

www.ritchiesendoftrail.com

Edited by chris.brock

I don't really have any destination suggestions, but I think May is early for any places north of you, I would go mid June. Give the walleye time to recover and go on a good feed. Have you looked at Temagami? Ton of fish in that lake. I have a group that goes into Quebec the first week of July and we always do well, might have to fish harder some years but can always figure them out.

Walleye will most likely be concentrated at that time of year as they are likely finishing up spawning and starting to move. Where they will be largely depends on how far north you go and how early spring comes. This will happen March to April if you are south enough, such as in the Detroit River. A few years ago I was on a lake north of NIpigon the first week of July and the walleye were late and just starting to migrate into the lake from spawning grounds. So, we had to travel across the lake to the in-flowing rivers from which they were migrating to get on the fish. My point is, if you just go to some random lake in May/June and the fish haven't migrated, you better know where they are spawning or you'll probably have a bad time. A camp that's a reasonable distance from an in-flowing river might be a good choice. Evelyn would be good, but I would guess a lot of the fish are coming from Sucker Gut which is at the very west end of the lake. Far from Ellen Island. Not that that's the only area where they migrate, but it's a big one.

I'd imagine the big lakes like Nipissing, Temagami and Evelyn might be great if you know where to concentrate your fishing efforts. The French River might be really hot in places. Lac Kipawa might be worth a look too.

Best of luck!

No help on locations to try, but 3-4 days on a big lake may not be enough time to figure out where and what to do to improve your catch? Early spring and unstable weather can also be a feast or famine thing? Even late May can be an issue here weather wise.

A guide could help on a lake? If you're willing to pay the price?

Hey appreciate the comments everyone -- it's sounding like we may do well to up our price range a bit and perhaps hire a guide for at least day one to help shorten the learning curve and get us on fish more quickly.

Cliff, nothing taken negatively at all -- I'm very thankful for the comments.

We certainly weren't trying to blame any of the places we went -- although it's certainly more helpful if the people who run the camps are fisherman and focused mostly on fishing.

I will research each of the places mentioned -- again, many thanks for taking the time to post!

Kevin

Hey appreciate the comments everyone -- it's sounding like we may do well to up our price range a bit and perhaps hire a guide for at least day one to help shorten the learning curve and get us on fish more quickly.

Cliff, nothing taken negatively at all -- I'm very thankful for the comments.

We certainly weren't trying to blame any of the places we went -- although it's certainly more helpful if the people who run the camps are fisherman and focused mostly on fishing.

I will research each of the places mentioned -- again, many thanks for taking the time to post!

Kevin

I would highly recommend hiring a guide wherever you go, or at least asking if one is possible. It can really make a trip being able to dial in on this fish right away.

Hey folks,

I've gone with a group of guys (4-6) 3 times now over the last few years...each trip has been fun, but we certainly didn't catch anywhere near the amount or size of fish the places said we would. Once it snowed all weekend, so that was tough, once it was too warm they said, so the fish weren't in the usual places...and once I just don't think the lodge owner (or us) could find any fish over a pound :).

Anyways, if anyone has a place they've enjoyed I'd like to hear about it.

We go for 3-4 days in Late May/early June usually.

We like to target walleye, pike, and bass if open.

I have my own boat, the others may rent one or 2.

Drive to preferred.

Anyways, glad to have a few options to look into -- any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, soft water is coming :)

Kevin

im guessing you dont want to fish anywhere on georgian bay because bass isnt open until the last saturday in june?

there is some ridiculous fishing to be had over the July 1st long weekend on georgian bay. Throw a spinnerbait or top water lure anywhere that looks fishy.

Edited by AKRISONER

I have done two trips to Lady Evelyn both ended on labour day weekend

First trip was to Ellen Island and our results were exactly yours. Lodge owner wasn't able to help much w spots and we had a massive cold front. Only fished the Ellen island section of the lake

Second trip stayed at Island 10. Owner very helpful marking spots, so we're other guests, much closer to fishing the other section of the lake and more stable (albeit 80 to 90 degrees every day without much wind) and our results were way better

Would say both trips we did do well w smallmouth

Anyway I would go back and if you decide to happy to mark up a map of where we had success

We also did Brennan Harbour Lodge on Lake Huron and did better than Evelyn. A key for us was hiring a guide our first full day fishing. The only thing that was dicey is the big water. Easy to get blown off the lake if weather rolls in

Cheers

Gordy