labradoodle vs goldendoodle

FLEX ROD

Purebread means lab mixed with lab, or whatever. When you mix breeds it stops being a purebred. so labradoodles and goldendoodles are not purebred.

Well, more specifically, a purebred dog is from a recognized bred of dog and who's parents are from that same bred and have recorded/written documentation to indicate their lineage. Two "labs" without papers cannot technically produce a purebred pup since their ancestry cannot be proven.

I have to laugh, if I started to list the things that our dog has eaten you would not be recommending a new dog. He has settled down with age.

Haha true! He ate so many dryer sheets we had to switch to liquid softener! We had the only lawn with white poo. He has settled down considerable at 16 months old.

Well John, if you ever were to consider a Weimaraner then let me know. My bestfriend is a breeder and her dog's a show dogs. SMART, powerful and easy to train for anything. I look after Joey (her "stud") every now and then.

they also tend to have separation anxiety which leads to destructiveness. my boss has one. beautiful dog, well trained, but left alone for more than an hour, and he starts barking and clawing at the door, chewing. its bad.

Edited by FloatnFly

they also tend to have separation anxiety which leads to destructiveness. my boss has one. beautiful dog, well trained, but left alone for more than an hour, and he starts barking and clawing at the door, chewing. its bad.

Wow, funny you say that...when I read the post about the Weimaraner, I thought about my old coworker that had one. Though he loved the dog, it drove him nuts. Once, he put it in a bedroom when they left for work. Thought it would contain the damage. Came home and the dog was at the front door and the bedroom had a 2 foot whole in the wall!!! LMAO!

I know you mentioned the golden or labradoodle, but I'm gonna pipe in with my guy. He's currently 7 years old, but he's a bordoodle. Border collie poodle mix. Aside from a few ear infections when he was a few years old, I've had zero problems with him. High energy, playful, awesome with kids, and loyal.

Just offering a different option that I think would serve you just as well as the 2 other breeds.

Hmm, interesting, you have made a suggestion that I have to look into.

Thank you, FLEX - John

Both our dogs were reported to have separation anxiety when we got them from the SPCA, there is no problem now that they are best friends when we leave for a while, the solution was of course a 2nd dog.

Haha true! He ate so many dryer sheets we had to switch to liquid softener! We had the only lawn with white poo. He has settled down considerable at 16 months old.

Oh that brings back memories, one of our Cockopoo favorite things when he was a pup was to steal socks and underwear and run down the hall just to get the attention. He will also not eat unless 2 of the 4 house hold members are not home.

Our daughter is now gone a month, she will be gone for 4 more months and he is handling it but you can see that he is not happy about it.

FLEX - John

Well, more specifically, a purebred dog is from a recognized bred of dog and who's parents are from that same bred and have recorded/written documentation to indicate their lineage. Two "labs" without papers cannot technically produce a purebred pup since their ancestry cannot be proven.

Many of what we consider purebreds today started out as mixed breeds (e.g. dobermans). If labradoodles, etc. are not recognized as pure bred now; they probably will be in the future.

I have had purebreds, even to the point that both the Sire and the Dam were " Champions " and from what I have seen with the " Designer Breeds" that have the Poodle blood line I am very much sold on the blend.

The non allergy, non shedding and just the level of intelligence is unbelievable, hence the reason why I am looking at a Poodle blend again..

Many of what we consider purebreds today started out as mixed breeds (e.g. dobermans). If labradoodles, etc. are not recognized as pure bred now; they probably will be in the future.

Just curious, how are Labradoodles bred??? do they breed 2 Doodles together ? or do they breed a Lab and and Poodle together ? If I remember biology classes of long ago , hybrids might not breed true , some offspring reverting back to the parent species, you could get 4 pups, 1 Lab ,1 Poodle and 2 Doodles.

I had a Weimaraner...never again. Beautiful dog but as said you can't leave them alone and you need 100 acres minimum to exercise them.

Mine tore my house apart. Chewed through doors, chewed through a cage door made out of 2x6. Chewed through a chain link fence on her kennel

Barked all day long when alone

Black Labs are best. They will play with the kids and protect them.

Goldens are too timid and lazy

I had a Weimaraner...never again. Beautiful dog but as said you can't leave them alone and you need 100 acres minimum to exercise them.

Mine tore my house apart. Chewed through doors, chewed through a cage door made out of 2x6. Chewed through a chain link fence on her kennel

Barked all day long when alone

Black Labs are best. They will play with the kids and protect them.

Goldens are too timid and lazy

Dara, if it was not for the shedding I could not agree more.

When we started to look for our current dog, the family wanted a small / lap dog so I quickly said no way I wanted the Black Lab and we ended up with the Cockopoo. Zero regrets I just can not even think about getting another one, it would be impossible to find one that is even half of what this guy is.

Yup, there is the shedding with a Lab. When we lost ours the wife and I really noticed that the vacuuming frequency went down.

She is looking at a Manchester Terrier now but they seem a bit crazy to me

Joey goes in his cage when she's at work and or when he's here with me and the worst he's ever done was spill his water. He will suck on a 'stuffy' toy like a soother but not shred it up. She has Joey and the female Pickles she breads. Both certified and she is also a certified breeder. The 1st time I met Joey he would listen to me and do everything I told him, from sit to stay to lay... Each dog is different. I have seen some crazy dog's and amazing dog's of the same breed. My Sheppard's and Black Lab were all amazing dog's and wouldn't hurt a fly unless you tried to hurt me, my sister or any other of the family...

OT - my neighbour has a Mastiff and it has huge separation anxiety. So bad, that they had to change every door handle in the house to lock and key, because the dog could open doors with it mouth. Once a door is open, the room is fair game. So far, as far as I know it has chewed the following;

-every spindle on the cured stair case.

-every door handle in the house, locking or not.

-every step to the up stairs

-all the legs off a brand new billiard, to the point it fell over

-every base board in the house

-the fence between neighbours houses

-the kitchen counter

The couple are separated because of the dog, she won't let it go and he refuses to live with the dog and repair the damage. (He is the one who completely re-modeled the house before the dog arrived!

HH

A pal recently bought something like a Sheperterrier and paid 1200 bucks for it. C'mon Man!! It's a cross bred mut with a cute name. Buy a nice rescue dog and call it whatever you wish. My Sis in law has a Labradoodle. What a silly dog it is, chases it's tail all day and night long, nice but a numb skull of a mut. I'm looking for Pitsharpiterrirottawiener, any out there?

I have had purebreds, even to the point that both the Sire and the Dam were " Champions " and from what I have seen with the " Designer Breeds" that have the Poodle blood line I am very much sold on the blend.

The non allergy, non shedding and just the level of intelligence is unbelievable, hence the reason why I am looking at a Poodle blend again..

Totally agree with you. Although I am starting to show interest in the Belgian Malinois lately, I think when it comes down to getting another pooch, I'll most likely revert back to my bordoodle. Good luck in your quest. And if you ever wanted to see my dog, I'm in Woodbridge once in a while visiting family. (This weekend actually)

Totally agree with you. Although I am starting to show interest in the Belgian Malinois lately, I think when it comes down to getting another pooch, I'll most likely revert back to my bordoodle. Good luck in your quest. And if you ever wanted to see my dog, I'm in Woodbridge once in a while visiting family. (This weekend actually)

That is a great offer thank you and if we can arrange it I would gladly take you up on that offer.

I have no info on the goldendoodle. The issues on the dogs appeared between 2 years and 6 years. They started as minimum symptoms but after lab tests they became expensive to diagnose and treat. Realise that we treat our dogs like kids so the money we spent is not what some people will spend. We could have taken the easy road and keep them pain free for a year or two and then put them down. We had one had a lung removed and a jaw removed and rebuilt to give her a longer quality life. The other is going on some really expensive auto immune program that started out like it was a pulled neck muscle. Don't get me wrong this could happen to any dog since my Coon hound has not been inexpensive in himself. Most of the mixed breeds in my opinion are less prone to breed specific issues just from my informal investigations from the dogs I visit in life as a plumber. To note also only one of the dogs were purchased the others where from the shelter or from our vet helping rehome them. I would say to contact your local shelter and tell them what personality of dog you want and have them call you when he comes in. I have had a few dogs in my life that breed wise should not be a water dog or good with kids but were never told, the case in point was a bulldog that loved water.

Art

Just curious, how are Labradoodles bred??? do they breed 2 Doodles together ? or do they breed a Lab and and Poodle together ? If I remember biology classes of long ago , hybrids might not breed true , some offspring reverting back to the parent species, you could get 4 pups, 1 Lab ,1 Poodle and 2 Doodles.

I am pretty sure that all breeds of dogs are considered to be the same species. So a cross breed would not be considered to be a hybrid.

The first labradoodles were obviously bred by crossing a lab and a poodle. But, now they could be bred by either breeding two labradoodles, or by breeding a lab and a poodle.

Our Labradoodle just turned 12 and she has been the best dog we have ever owned. Her mother was a Chocolate Lab and her dad a Standard Poodle. She is loyal, safe around kids, loves the water and we think she's pretty smart for a dog. We have bells on our doors and she rings them when she wants out. Would be very hard to get another dog after this one. She is definitely now showing her age and I know that she likely doesn't have too many good years left. No illnesses to treat.

maggie.jpg