labradoodle vs goldendoodle

FLEX ROD

There are two golden doodles in my neighborhood and neither of them are very intelligent. It could of course be the breeding.

As for purebred's, my golden is 14 1/2 years old and still in good health. We keep her trim at 62 pounds and never feed her human food.

As for Cancer, all of the dogs that I know of that contracted it all ate human food on a regular basis. Not a scientific study, just an observation on my part.

Good luck with your research.

X2 I'm with you on this one! We only ever fed our Lab/Sheherd/ Border Collie cross dry dog food and never had a single health issue in almost 14 years. He was the smartest dog I have ever known. Our friends have always fed all there dogs human food and have a ton of health issues to go along with it.

I am pretty sure that all breeds of dogs are considered to be the same species. So a cross breed would not be considered to be a hybrid.

The first labradoodles were obviously bred by crossing a lab and a poodle. But, now they could be bred by either breeding two labradoodles, or by breeding a lab and a poodle.

they are not purebreds, not by any stretch. its a designer dog breed. yes, they can breed 2 crossbreeds together, otherwise known as an F2 hybrid. breeding a lab to poodle is what most breeders do which is known as an F1 hybrid, while still unpredictable, can be more reliable. the pups are completely unpredictable characteristics.

when you breed two purebreds together, you pretty accurately predict what the pair will produce for pups. bad health characteristics, looks, all can be bred out when using a purebred to purebred breeding

I will chime in on this one... I lived at a place that bred both Lab/Golden Doodles. Strictly bred with a papered stud (Standard Poodle) to the papered girl (won't use the proper word here).

The dogs I were around were awesome...and I hung out with them in the backyard every day. However I had no experience with any late life Doodles as only one was kept as a pet.

The place I was at was a very reputable breeder and looked after all health concerns and would simply not breed any dog to another if there was an outstanding health issue. I think the biggest problem, as was stated, is these dogs became a commercialized trendy dog that everyone wanted to have for there non-allergenic traits, smarts and the classic family bonding of a Lab or Golden.

This was back in 2004-07 when the demand was high and relatively new. Nowadays there are too many people looking for financial gain and possibly overlooking the true benefits that these dogs provide.

Would I buy one?

No. That being said I would take one from where I lived in heartbeat. Just not going to pay for one.

Reason being I like my Goldens as they are. (I'm not a big Lab guy). If I had to choose between the Lab/Golden/Poodle cross it would be the fury one unquestionably.

Bottom line do your research. Ensure your breeder has been in the game for a long time and CARES about the dogs.

...also as mentioned the pounds have lots of companions waiting for a new home. One of the best dogs I have ever had came home that way one day and I do not regret it one bit.

Nice pup! I'm a husky guy myself, have three. They do everything I'd ever ask from a dog.

I'm a lab guy but my current pooch is a husky.

They sure are a heck of a lot harder to train than Labs!!! :rofl2:

He's good now though and sponsored by Simms!!!! :whistling:

OH, and he's a pound puppy. :good: :good:

IMG_0221.jpg

Drifter, for sure. Our malmuttes were easy, husky, not so much. Pretty whiny useless dog for about 6 months in all honesty. She wasn't really good until about a year.

If she was still a pup I wouldn't let her near my 1 year old, too much power in a clumsy pup

And sweet pic! What a nice dog!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

I love Dogs, I had a Staffordshire/Pit/Boston mutt for 10 years. I would put this Dog up against many people I know in a battle of wits. Every day no matter where the Dog was or what we were doing she would run downstairs at 5:30 on the dot and sit in front of the TV and whine until you turned it on to Wild Kingdom, sit and watch all the animals run across the screen. She became so smart I was amazed. Never a day sick. I strongly believe a Dog can only be as good as the owner. I have seen many that do not deserve to have a Dog, they become more of a status symbol than a companion. When Hurricane Katrina hit rescuing a Dog from there became the thing to do. I know a few people that gave them away after the vogue wore off. For every Dog that came north meant one of our Dogs did not find a home.

There are so many Dogs in our pounds that will eventually be put down because they will never find a home I really don't get it when people want a specific designer Dog. Sorry but that's my take.

A pal recently bought something like a Sheperterrier and paid 1200 bucks for it. C'mon Man!! It's a cross bred mut with a cute name. Buy a nice rescue dog and call it whatever you wish. My Sis in law has a Labradoodle. What a silly dog it is, chases it's tail all day and night long, nice but a numb skull of a mut. I'm looking for Pitsharpiterrirottawiener, any out there?

I really appreciate all the feed back, especially from the people that have taken the time to read my post and have been able to shed more info regarding the two Species that I originally asked about.

I love Dogs, I had a Staffordshire/Pit/Boston mutt for 10 years. I would put this Dog up against many people I know in a battle of wits. Every day no matter where the Dog was or what we were doing she would run downstairs at 5:30 on the dot and sit in front of the TV and whine until you turned it on to Wild Kingdom, sit and watch all the animals run across the screen. She became so smart I was amazed. Never a day sick. I strongly believe a Dog can only be as good as the owner. I have seen many that do not deserve to have a Dog, they become more of a status symbol than a companion. When Hurricane Katrina hit rescuing a Dog from there became the thing to do. I know a few people that gave them away after the vogue wore off. For every Dog that came north meant one of our Dogs did not find a home.

There are so many Dogs in our pounds that will eventually be put down because they will never find a home I really don't get it when people want a specific designer Dog. Sorry but that's my take.

Thanks for the feedback Old Ironmaker, as a responsible dog owner, I can tell you that none of my dogs have ever been responsible for adding to the pounds population.

Once I have made my choice, I will most definitely look into seeing if I can either find what I am looking for at the pound or a rescue dog.

Thanks, FLEX - John

Tha is about the only thing I have never been called Grimsby.

M2B2, of course there are Dogs with jobs. I'm talking about Dogs that never get to go for a walk and are cooped up in Condos and Apts. Yes there would be companion Dogs, that's their job, I just think it's selfish of some owners. My own idiot brother cages the Jack Russell for up to 10 hours a day in a Condo and has a kitty litter box. It has never seen a blade of grass. They should be locked up for 24 hours day in and day out and see how they like it. People like them shouldn't have a pet Rock.

I just think it's selfish of some owners. My own idiot brother cages the Jack Russell for up to 10 hours a day in a Condo and has a kitty litter box. It has never seen a blade of grass. They should be locked up for 24 hours day in and day out and see how they like it. People like them shouldn't have a pet Rock.

Agreed ... That's why I have cats hahaha.

I would love to have a dog but with schedules the way they are I wouldn't feel right leaving a dog inside for as long as I would have to... Out the door at 6am not home till 4:30-5:00... Couldn't do it... Especially if I'm working Toronto then I try to leave the house for 4:45-5:00 to start for 6 to leave by 2:30, that's a long day for a pup to be alone

I, we had a Dog when I was working shifts and rotating days off. There was always someone home to walk her and she wouldn't be locked up inside for more than a few hours. If for any reason we would be out we were lucky enough to have the In Laws close by to let her out. I was considering getting a Pup for the last few years. I know it would force me to get out for a walk everyday. But there are times I just can't walk more than 20 feet. So it wouldn't be fair to a pup who would run me ragged. I have started to lean in the direction of getting a pup since this thread started, it would force me to walk everyday, use it or lose it. So I'm thinking hard about it again as we don't travel like we did a few years back and it would be great for me physically and emotionally. The real problem is my wife is the Cat Lady, usually she has 2. Her Cat (that hates me by the way) is 11 years old and I don't think it would be too kind to a new puppy coming into it's space. Anyone want an old mean black male Cat that pukes in my shoes and runs my life?

I, we had a Dog when I was working shifts and rotating days off. There was always someone home to walk her and she wouldn't be locked up inside for more than a few hours. If for any reason we would be out we were lucky enough to have the In Laws close by to let her out. I was considering getting a Pup for the last few years. I know it would force me to get out for a walk everyday. But there are times I just can't walk more than 20 feet. So it wouldn't be fair to a pup who would run me ragged. I have started to lean in the direction of getting a pup since this thread started, it would force me to walk everyday, use it or lose it. So I'm thinking hard about it again as we don't travel like we did a few years back and it would be great for me physically and emotionally. The real problem is my wife is the Cat Lady, usually she has 2. Her Cat (that hates me by the way) is 11 years old and I don't think it would be too kind to a new puppy coming into it's space. Anyone want an old mean black male Cat that pukes in my shoes and runs my life?

Dood, don't get a pup. Go adopt a dog that's 3 or 4 years old and settled.

A pup will run you ragged and cause waaay more grief than enjoyment

O.K. my bad cat joke. " You know how to turn a cat into a dog? Cover it in gas.... strike a match...........wait for it......... Drop it on the cat and WOOOF".

I would think along the lines of a middle aged dog with short legs for your new walking buddy OI.

Art

Of course I would look at the SPCA before I would spend 1200 bananas for a Sheperdoodlelabrawolf.

The only joke my father that did not have a sence of humor ever told us when we had a cat when I was around 10. 2 jokes in 62 years.

Kids the cat died. It got locked in the garage and froze solid. I poured gasoline on it and all of a sudden it started running in circles around the garage. All of a sudden it dropped to the floor dead! "What happened Pa?" It ran out of gas.

Maybe an older Dog with a Handicapped Parking sticker Art.

Condolences to the original poster, what was the question?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Haha I'll never understand the stigma around cats... Never had one or liked them until I got one they aren't akin to the companionship a dog gives I can attest to that but they certainly are just as affectionate if not more lol

IMG_20170314_164919.jpg

IMG_20170314_103339.jpg

And goofy! Hahaha

IMG_20170216_182333.jpg

Totally agree with you. Although I am starting to show interest in the Belgian Malinois lately, I think when it comes down to getting another pooch, I'll most likely revert back to my bordoodle. Good luck in your quest. And if you ever wanted to see my dog, I'm in Woodbridge once in a while visiting family. (This weekend actually)

I just want to give a big shout out to Smokercrafty, he brought over his dog Bear yesterday.

First off, it was a pleasure to meet you and your son, and you really opened my eyes on a breed of dog that I was not familiar with many thanks.

Watching Bear interact with my dog was great as it showed me how our dog will probably behave when we get another dog.

Thank you very much.

FLEX - John

I just want to give a big shout out to Smokercrafty, he brought over his dog Bear yesterday.

First off, it was a pleasure to meet you and your son, and you really opened my eyes on a breed of dog that I was not familiar with many thanks.

Watching Bear interact with my dog was great as it showed me how our dog will probably behave when we get another dog.

Thank you very much.

FLEX - John

My pleasure John. Anything to help aid or persuade your wife's decision. Lol

I enjoyed the visit, and as we discussed, I hope to be wetting lines on Simcoe with you, in the near future . I will however apologize once again for Bears "treat" he left behind. Dogs will be dogs.

Ciao for now