labradoodle vs goldendoodle

FLEX ROD

Currently we have a 11 year old Cockapoo and he has been the best dog that I have been around, but he is getting up in years so I am contemplating getting a second dog.

With owning the Cockapoo I am sold 100% on the Poodle blend, hence the labradoodle vs goldendoodle choice, we have recently bought new property with a lake 2 minutes walk ,

I really am looking for feed back about these two breeds, and these two breeds alone.

Once we have chosen the breed, I will look at seeing if I can find a dog that is up for adoption and or a rescue dog but I really need to hear any pro and cons of the two breeds so that I can start to look for the next member of the family.

Our current dog is definitely a part of the family who has the run of the house and he has 1/2 acre to play so obviously the new dog will be no different but I personally would like a bit bigger / hardier dog that is why I am looking at these two breeds and not another Cockapoo, otherwise I would not even think twice and would get another Cockapoo at the drop of a hat.

Any and all info is greatly appriciated, as I think I know which way I am leaning but would really like to hear from this knowledgeable group. :D

Many thanks, FLEX

Had 3 labradoodles in the family to date and they all have had issues mostly cancer and autoimmune variety. They have been expensive to keep healthy. These dogs came from national breeders with papers and excellent breeding practices. We will not be getting a 4th. A full blooded standard poodle is the next puppy on the farm You might want to check them out you would be surprised how outdoorsy they are.

Art

This is why I love this site so much, thank you Art, this is exactly the type of feedback that I am looking for.

Art, have you heard about the same problems with the goldendoodle by any chance?

What is really funny, is that as I said that I had a dog that I was leaning to and yes it was the labradoodle.

​Now I really do know that I have a lot more research to do.

Art, did your dogs develop the problems early on in life or did they appear later on in life? How old are or where your dogs?

Thank you very much, FLEX - John

I haven't owned a dog for years, but have had several in the family, been around lots...Purebreds? No thanks, expensive and more often than not some type of health issue or genetic problem. Now I realize this isn't always the case! But give a dog from a pound a chance, mongrels are sometimes the best looking, most interesting, smartest dogs you'll come across.

I haven't owned a dog for years, but have had several in the family, been around lots...Purebreds? No thanks, expensive and more often than not some type of health issue or genetic problem. Now I realize this isn't always the case! But give a dog from a pound a chance, mongrels are sometimes the best looking, most interesting, smartest dogs you'll come across.

Goldendoodles , Labradoodles and Cockapoos are not purebreds :wallbash:

John, both flavours of "Doodles" have been bred over-extensively in Canada and the US. They were so popular when introduced that

ethics and responsible breeding have since gone out of the window, at least with a lot of so called breeders. I have many friends who have Lab and Golden Retriever doodles and spend huge amounts of money on them. Not only purchase price but subsequent vet bills. Many have developed forms of cancers, skeletal and other diseases. Others have been difficult and in some cases almost impossible to train. The odd one overly aggressive.

Do yourself and a resident a favour, visit an animal shelter and choose a friend who needs you as much as you need them.

John

My brother has a golden doodle, she's great, only 8-9 months old but she's very attentive and smart, health issues I can't give you any insight on as she hasn't had any thus far she's a cutie that's for sure!

Screenshot_20170314-174652_01.png

We got a Goldendoodle last January and the only major health issue was when he ate a 1.5" dia rusty steel ring! lol I will say that after having 4 dogs since being married, and two of them labs, this is hands down the smartest and most affectionate dog we've ever had. I wouldn't hesitate to get another, but like ANY dog, it's the breeding and the training that's makes them great pets, not the money we pay.

Do yourself and a resident a favour, visit an animal shelter and choose a friend who needs you as much as you need them.

X2, my 2 girl friends both came from the Hamilton SPCA, Abby, the brown one is supposedly an Australian Shepherd according to the adoption papers and Elsa is listed as a Lab Mix but I suspect she may be a purebred " Pitador ". Best dogs I've ever had.

AbbyElsa_zpsam319vgb.jpg

^^^ This is a great plan as well. We looked for weeks trying to find a dog...Hamilton to St. Catharines and unfortunately each time we thought we had line on a dog, we would learn how it couldn't be around kids or other animals or the like. Too bad because we wanted to go that route as well. Sure glad we have this guy though.

Purebread means lab mixed with lab, or whatever. When you mix breeds it stops being a purebred. so labradoodles and goldendoodles are not purebred.

One of my next door neighbors has 2 labradoodles, probably for 8 - 10 years now, they haven't mentioned any serious problems with them, blood lines?

I think Art is right about the standard poodle, I believe they were hunting dogs?

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/standardpoodles.html

what ever breed you choose, make sure you do your research on possible health risks associated with that breed, for instance, labs are prone to certain health risks like cancer, just because of over breeding. i myself have a cross breed, border collie mixed with golden. was an accidental breeding, dad got loose and found momma. hes a wonderful dog, full of energy, has the herding instinct, and has to know where everyone is in the house at all times. goldens also tend to act like puppies for the first 3 years, and then start to calm down.

cross breeds tend to live longer than purebreds.

a good friend of mine had a poodle,he used it for hunting and retrieving. they aren't the french prissy dogs they are made out to be on TV. he would have gotten another if he didn't discover the chessy, chesapeak bay retriever.

when shopping for a purebred, do your research on your breeders,pretty well all reputable,registered breeders will do health checks, on their males and females and have the hips and eyes certified and clear. there are tests that can be run to determine if either are carriers of certain breed health risks

There are two golden doodles in my neighborhood and neither of them are very intelligent. It could of course be the breeding.

As for purebred's, my golden is 14 1/2 years old and still in good health. We keep her trim at 62 pounds and never feed her human food.

As for Cancer, all of the dogs that I know of that contracted it all ate human food on a regular basis. Not a scientific study, just an observation on my part.

Good luck with your research.

Thank you all for the feed back, for a variety of reasons I have my mind set on one of the two breeds.

As for smarts, I really do think that a large part of it is the training, my brother in law has our dogs brother and when you see the two dogs and see the difference in personality, character you would have a hard time thinking that they came from the same litter.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing more FLEX - John

I know you mentioned the golden or labradoodle, but I'm gonna pipe in with my guy. He's currently 7 years old, but he's a bordoodle. Border collie poodle mix. Aside from a few ear infections when he was a few years old, I've had zero problems with him. High energy, playful, awesome with kids, and loyal.

Just offering a different option that I think would serve you just as well as the 2 other breeds.

We've got a golden doodle. He's a medium size. About 44lbs. Very smart dog. Really easy to train. Very agile. Super friendly with people and dogs. Great with kids. High energy but also likes to chill. Fur needs cutting about 3 times a year. Nothing bad to say about him.

Edited by Canuck

Thank you all for the feed back, for a variety of reasons I have my mind set on one of the two breeds.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing more FLEX - John

Well John, if you ever were to consider a Weimaraner then let me know. My bestfriend is a breeder and her dog's a show dogs. SMART, powerful and easy to train for anything. I look after Joey (her "stud") every now and then.

Joey.jpg

We got a Goldendoodle last January and the only major health issue was when he ate a 1.5" dia rusty steel ring! lol I will say that after having 4 dogs since being married, and two of them labs, this is hands down the smartest and most affectionate dog we've ever had. I wouldn't hesitate to get another, but like ANY dog, it's the breeding and the training that's makes them great pets, not the money we pay.

I have to laugh, if I started to list the things that our dog has eaten you would not be recommending a new dog. He has settled down with age.