Well it's booked!

Big Cliff

I phoned Don today (Mike I put in a good word for you) June 24th to 29th. at Vick Lake. We'll drive up on the 23 and spend a night in one of their guest cabins and be ready to head out to our private lake on the 24. You have to check this out http://www.walleye.ca .

Only thing I was ever so excited about was the birth of my kids (ok well maybe the thing that caused the birth of my kids LOL)

Now we are busy planning the menu and things. CPH your idea of the insulated coffee mugs was awesome, thank you! That is one I wouldn't have thought of.

So here are some of the things we are thinking of:

2.5 lbs of bacon (14 to 16 slices /lb) should cover breakfast for the two of us, I'll take 2 dozen eggs pre scrambled and in a 2L pop bottle.

Steaks one night for supper, hamburger one night for supper fish 3 nights for supper (Tempura batter for frying the fish)

Some KD, rice, and instant mashed potatoes. Powdered milk, lemon juice, onions, salt and pepper....... sugar coffee, all the bits and pieces.

Cliff I'm glad the insulated coffee mug idea was helpful. A few other things that I always brought.

1. A good chunk of nylon rope. Used at 2 camps for clothes lines we strung inside for stuff to dry on. If you get crap weather nothing dries hanging outside in the rain.

2. Nylon fish net meshing. One camp we stayed at had no anchors for any of there boats. One camp had useless anchors that where not heavy enough to hold in any kind of wind. Took the netting out of one of our landing nets filled it with rocks and tied the whole thing off with a chuck of nylon rope and we had a solid anchor for the rest of our trip. If you do the portage lake with the boat stashed there I'm betting it will have no anchor so take your netting and rope if you go.

3. If your taking anything in a can. Pack a good can opener. Most camps have them but lots are complete garbage. Might not bother others as much as it bothers me....but I hate working with tools/gadgets that are broken or are just junk. :wallbash:

You will love the trip Cliff.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Water?

I flew in to a lake with Hearst Air Services, without enough jugs of water and we ended up having to boil water for coffee etc. On the wood stove. That had enough wood for two whole days. And no saw in camp to cut more firewood in the forest for the week we were there............

Oh yeah, and the week on Gouin Reservoir with a house boat, six men one "Culligan" type jug of water for a week. We gathered rain water and got the Hershey Squirts, great fun.

So yeah, maybe take in WATER............or a Katydin filter.

If you are packing in powdered milk, you must be on real light scales. Maybe consider a couple packages of powdered soup. Knorr makes very decent cream of asparagus and cream of broccoli soups that weigh nothing. And if you get a wet cold day there is nothing like a bowl of soup to perk you up.

Hope you have an AWESOME trip!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

When We went on our fly-in I brought this stuff.

4012604-NOC02.jpg?w=1000&h=1000&auto=for

We made coffee, soups, boiled veggies and iced tea, after treating the water; no ill affects at all.

It did give the water a slight smell and taste of chlorine; but I'd rather that then the squires.

Mountain Equipment sells the stuff.

Dan

Well bring your own roll of tp in a zip lock.

Guess u can pack like a regular back woods camping trip.

What they have for cookin with?

I have a colan 6 cooler keeps ice a week and holds 177 cans if u need a cooler to use

I think they are fairly well fitted out Ernie, they do list them as Deluxe and it sure sounds like it! Check it out; www.walleye.ca Vick Lake. AND it's private!!!!! Features & Amenities
  • Solar powered fluorescent lights
  • Two way radio communication
  • Hand crafted pine furnishings
  • Hot/cold running water
  • Shower
  • New Lund boats (2 people per boat)
  • Padded swivel boat seats with backrests
  • New Mercury motors (plus a spare)
  • Unlimited gas
  • Unlimited ice
  • Large popane freezer
  • Full sized gas range
  • Propane refrigerator with freezer
  • Gas barbeque
  • Screened in fish cleaning house
  • Wood stoves for heat
  • Plenty of firewood
  • All cooking & eating utensils
  • Large deck for sitting outdoors
  • Propane fish fryer
  • Inverter for charging locator & camera batteries

Cliff I'm glad the insulated coffee mug idea was helpful. A few other things that I always brought.

1. A good chunk of nylon rope. Used at 2 camps for clothes lines we strung inside for stuff to dry on. If you get crap weather nothing dries hanging outside in the rain.

2. Nylon fish net meshing. One camp we stayed at had no anchors for any of there boats. One camp had useless anchors that where not heavy enough to hold in any kind of wind. Took the netting out of one of our landing nets filled it with rocks and tied the whole thing off with a chuck of nylon rope and we had a solid anchor for the rest of our trip. If you do the portage lake with the boat stashed there I'm betting it will have no anchor so take your netting and rope if you go.

3. If your taking anything in a can. Pack a good can opener. Most camps have them but lots are complete garbage. Might not bother others as much as it bothers me....but I hate working with tools/gadgets that are broken or are just junk. :wallbash:

You will love the trip Cliff.

Again with the great ideas, I wouldn't have thought about how useful a nylon fishing net could be but it could have many uses, Thanks!

Water?

I flew in to a lake with Hearst Air Services, without enough jugs of water and we ended up having to boil water for coffee etc. On the wood stove. That had enough wood for two whole days. And no saw in camp to cut more firewood in the forest for the week we were there............

Oh yeah, and the week on Gouin Reservoir with a house boat, six men one "Culligan" type jug of water for a week. We gathered rain water and got the Hershey Squirts, great fun.

So yeah, maybe take in WATER............or a Katydin filter.

If you are packing in powdered milk, you must be on real light scales. Maybe consider a couple packages of powdered soup. Knorr makes very decent cream of asparagus and cream of broccoli soups that weigh nothing. And if you get a wet cold day there is nothing like a bowl of soup to perk you up.

Hope you have an AWESOME trip!

Doug

Good point Doug, Thanks! I'll be sure to ask about the supply of potable water!

When We went on our fly-in I brought this stuff.

4012604-NOC02.jpg?w=1000&h=1000&auto=for

We made coffee, soups, boiled veggies and iced tea, after treating the water; no ill affects at all.

It did give the water a slight smell and taste of chlorine; but I'd rather that then the squires.

Mountain Equipment sells the stuff.

Dan

That just might be a super idea as a backup if needed. I did a canoe trip into Tim Lake many years ago and we had one of those (style) kits, did a super job for us. thanks for the reminder.

Remember to pack all needed Medications and a good quality First Aid Kit, have fun..

Again a good point, I think I might just pack an extra week worth of meds (not that I take a lot) but just in case. I wouldn't do well without them if anything did happen and we were delayed. Also, a friend has also suggested packing meds in two separate packages just in case one got damaged or something.

Uncle Cliff, do you have room for one more . . . . . :Gonefishing:

You are one heck of a good friend and I would love to do a fly-in with you anytime but it ain't going to happen this year LOL. I do plan on doing one every year from this year on as long as god lets me though so there is always a chance!

Well already the menu is changing, we are allowed 150 lbs of food and gear each so: instant mashed potatoes are gone in favor of real potatoes, butter is a must (hadn't thought about that as one of the things we needed to take) Onions, carrots seems we can cover everything without having to skimp at all. OMG I am so excited!

You are one heck of a good friend and I would love to do a fly-in with you anytime but it ain't going to happen this year LOL. I do plan on doing one every year from this year on as long as god lets me though so there is always a chance!

Oh, come on Uncle Cliff you can swing around and pick me up in the morning. I think then you should take us out for breakfast before heading north. From there I take care of lunch as I always take a extra PBJ sandwich with me. Will you bring some coffee in your thermos again.

Now I hope this isn't going to cost me more then $5 because that's all the wife gives me to go fishing........

I just woke up from a nightmare that I took my cousin Don fishing again..................sorry about that Uncle Cliff . . . .

HAVE A GREAT TRIP ! ! !

Congrats on booking the trip, Big Cliff, I did a fly in with my son when he was 15 years old 7 years ago and to this day we look back at it and smile.

The one thing that I love to bring in is the pre cooked bacon from Costco, saves time and due to the fact that it is pre cooked the weight the bacon is almost the weight that you actually have to enjoy.

FLEX

Baby wipes in case nature calls while you're out in the boat. Definitely Contingo coffee mugs, they keep coffee warm for hours! (You can get two for $23 at Costco) Seeing that you have a fridge, you can keep anything cold so the following won't be required, but it's a good tip anyhow.. The best way to keep anything cold is to sink it in 40-50ft of water in a mesh bag with some rocks in the bottom. Tie that off to a marker buoy (The ones you toss out to mark weed edges). I usually do this with beer, but I've also tossed chicken breast/steak in there as well and have never had an issue. I would definitely bring a lot of harnesses and a flat of worms. Some big stick baits for evening trolling as well. Goodluck! Looking forward to the report.