small kicker

floater

I have a long shaft transom on my tin boat. I'd like to get a small 2-4 hp kicker and i'm wondering if I need a long shaft or short shaft? I want this smaller motor for trolling as the 30 hp on there now won't troll down below 2.5 mph. I've tried the drift bags and I couldn't keep the boat going straight as it kept veering off to one side. I've also tried back trolling but I end up doing the same side to side motion.

Do you have a V bottom? If so, the transom height may be shorter on the sides. Also, is the transom flat across the top? Some transoms have a low spot in the middle for mounting the main motor.

I would measure the height of the transom where you plan to mount the kicker motor. Is your main motor bolted on? If not, slide it over to the side and see where the cavitation plate sits in relation to the bottom of the hull.

Do you have a bowmount? I use my bowmount to slow down my main engine. By just barely turning the bowmount on so its pushing against my main i can stop the boat.....or troll any speed i want. I actually prefer to slow troll with just the bowmount. Better control of the boat from the bow, but if its windy it can be a pain so i use the main/bowmount combo. Using the bowmount in reverse also keeps the bow planted if its rough.