Things you notice getting ready for spring

kickingfrog

Had some time alone at home today so I re-organized some boxes getting ready for walleye/pike. Sharpen some hooks see what needs to be replaced etc. I noticed that my favourite early bait didn't quite match the back-up I have. I don't think the colour has worn off but I can't say for sure, maybe they've tweaked the colour since the other lure was bought?

20170311_115805_zpsulc51yxf.jpg

The too big front hook is due to an on water, hot bite replacement that I now have too much angler confidence in to change. :Gonefishing:

I was also torn on retiring the lure and putting it in my "Hall of Fame" but again too much angler confidence and now that there appears to be a colour difference I just can't do it. ;)

Had some time alone at home today so I re-organized some boxes getting ready for walleye/pike. Sharpen some hooks see what needs to be replaced etc. I noticed that my favourite early bait didn't quite match the back-up I have. I don't think the colour has worn off but I can't say for sure, maybe they've tweaked the colour since the other lure was bought?

20170311_115805_zpsulc51yxf.jpg

The too big front hook is due to an on water, hot bite replacement that I now have too much angler confidence in to change. :Gonefishing:

I was also torn on retiring the lure and putting it in my "Hall of Fame" but again too much angler confidence and now that there appears to be a colour difference I just can't do it. ;)

LOL, isn't it funny how we get something stuck in our head and just can't take the chance on changing it! I remember fishing with two very old and deer friends on Quinty one time, We were drift fishing for walleye and my favorite worm harness broke off. I grabbed some bits and pieces out of my tackle box and made what my buddies refereed to as "Cliff's Christmas Tree". Long Story short, I landed 11 walleye and they landed 2 between them. When you know it works it usually does! :whistling:

Yep it's spring when I have an urge, uncontrollable urge, to buy new tackle. See you guys on the 25th in Ancaster. I need jigs this year. All mine got wet last summer and rusted into a giant 5 pound ball of Iron. If anyone is selling them there let me know please.

Johnny you need to see Bruce for his jiggs... :whistling:

Looks like a few teeth marks on that HJ on the top Rob.

My go to, confidence HJ is black/ gold but I know quite a few guys including Borger who swear by that green/ orange belly pattern.

Gotta love Canada and the changing of the seasons we get to enjoy.

I am the opposite. I have no superstitions whatsoever.

As for spring cleaning my tackle. I am far too lazy. Although, I am currently practicing bending and twisting 1mm stainless steel wire to make rigs for my pike plastics. I am not very good at it, lol.

never ever retire a lure that works. I have one supershadrap that is absolutely trashed...yet it continues to get trashed even more. I will run that one on one planer board and then a different one on the other board. Other than some hook rash the second one looks quite new, just doesn't seem to garner the interest of the first.

never ever retire a lure that works. I have one supershadrap that is absolutely trashed...yet it continues to get trashed even more. I will run that one on one planer board and then a different one on the other board. Other than some hook rash the second one looks quite new, just doesn't seem to garner the interest of the first.

Agree there, my walleye fishing days on Lake Erie with my dad and brother. His beat to death wiggle warts would catch more fish than a brand new shiny one out of the box. He used to buy them a dozen at a time and test them on the water for the ones that produced the best.