Toronto Sportsman's Show-1st timer

seanik

Mister G

Distance to Toronto from Erie Pa = 190 miles

Distance to Harrisburg Pa from Erie Pa = 300 miles

The reason for attending The Sportsman's show in Toronto instead of the Outdoors show in Harrisburg Pa is distance and travel time plus I believe more outfitters are present at the Sportsman show, also the outfitters I am mainly interested in are all at the Sportsman's show.

Seanik

From what I have personally seen, they are mainly the same outfitters and the show in Harrisburg is MUCH better. There was a time when Cleveland had a great show at the I-X Center and that too was worth the trip. I have been to several others, like in Buffalo you drove right by to get to the Sportsman Show in the Ontario that also have the same outfitters. The outfitters travel the gambit around and around and have found more info online then trying to talk to them personally. But that was when I was much younger. I no longer do the sportsman shows because they are expensive and worthless IMHO. But hey, that's just my opinion and everyone has one.

Mister G

Distance to Toronto from Erie Pa = 190 miles

Distance to Harrisburg Pa from Erie Pa = 300 miles

The reason for attending The Sportsman's show in Toronto instead of the Outdoors show in Harrisburg Pa is distance and travel time plus I believe more outfitters are present at the Sportsman show, also the outfitters I am mainly interested in are all at the Sportsman's show.

Seanik

I love this too. We give Americans a hard time all the time over how big Ontario is, but first time I went to New Jersey, we had been driving for about 8 hours and I'm like........ wait........ we're still in Pennsylvania?!?!?

I love this too. We give Americans a hard time all the time over how big Ontario is, but first time I went to New Jersey, we had been driving for about 8 hours and I'm like........ wait........ we're still in Pennsylvania?!?!?

I guess it depends on where you are and where you're going.

If I drive south from Toronto for 24 hours on the 401/I-75, I pass through five states and wind up in Florida.

If I drive northwest for 24 hours, I still haven't even left Ontario.

Thanks to all for posting information about traveling too and attending The Sportsman show!

We had a quick border crossing both ways and an easy 3 1/2 hour trip to and from. The show was great and beyond my expectations, very friendly, both the crowd and exhibiters. I inquired at the Canada map sales booth about an obscure lake in Quebec, the lady rep. couldn't find it in their indexes, she left her booth and went to the outfitter who flew into this lake and got co-ordinates, came back found the lake on her computer. She said they have a show special, 12.00 shipped to my home, WOW talk about great service .

Made contact with 2 outfitters on Kabinakagami Lake who fly in from White River, had long and informative conversations with both and will soon book a trip.

Visited several lure makers and sellers, bought a few, looked at many boat and motor combinations and went to the food court for several snacks.

I had a fantastic day at the Sport'sman show, totally enjoyed it and will be back next year.

Seanik :clapping:

Erie Pa USA

Thanks to all for posting information about traveling too and attending The Sportsman show!

We had a quick border crossing both ways and an easy 3 1/2 hour trip to and from. The show was great and beyond my expectations, very friendly, both the crowd and exhibiters. I inquired at the Canada map sales booth about an obscure lake in Quebec, the lady rep. couldn't find it in their indexes, she left her booth and went to the outfitter who flew into this lake and got co-ordinates, came back found the lake on her computer. She said they have a show special, 12.00 shipped to my home, WOW talk about great service .

Made contact with 2 outfitters on Kabinakagami Lake who fly in from White River, had long and informative conversations with both and will soon book a trip.

Visited several lure makers and sellers, bought a few, looked at many boat and motor combinations and went to the food court for several snacks.

I had a fantastic day at the Sport'sman show, totally enjoyed it and will be back next year.

Seanik :clapping:

Erie Pa USA

Headed to Kaby Lake in July with Pine Portage Lodge. Will let you know how the fishing was.

We went yesterday. Deals are a thing of the past. Was looking to get a rod for the Missus and never happened. But the shows were good. Saw 2 dog shows and the lumberjack competition. Really though, if we didn't get in for free we probably wouldn't have gone.

I also went there hoping to get some sort of deal on some new rods but I couldn't find any. Ended up buying musky baits that I can't get at my local tackle stores.

We went yesterday. Deals are a thing of the past. Was looking to get a rod for the Missus and never happened. But the shows were good. Saw 2 dog shows and the lumberjack competition. Really though, if we didn't get in for free we probably wouldn't have gone.

:whistling:

Deals are to be had if you know where to look, picked up a trolling rod for half of what another retailer was selling it for. Backroad map book for $10 off and no tax and a free mini backpack for the kids.

Many places will take your word for it that the place across the way has something for 5 or 10 bucks cheaper, they need your money for the booth rental and expenses for employees that have to travel and stay there, trust me, most items there are negotiable on prices (consession stand food not included), they are not losing money on things. I did not pay the list price on anything I bought today and both myself and the retailers walked away happy from the transactions.

Was there today. Ran into Mike at his booth. Caught Calvin trying to rummage through my backpack for lures and beer :lol: The main goal was to entertain the grandaughters, and that worked well. They had fun casting, shooting ( Daylilah is one trigger happy little imp), making a lure, and lots of other stuff. They even came home with 4 lures from the casting pond. The girls had a lot of fun, and that makes the show worth the price of admission.

Edited by bigugli

From what I have personally seen, they are mainly the same outfitters and the show in Harrisburg is MUCH better. There was a time when Cleveland had a great show at the I-X Center and that too was worth the trip. I have been to several others, like in Buffalo you drove right by to get to the Sportsman Show in the Ontario that also have the same outfitters. The outfitters travel the gambit around and around and have found more info online then trying to talk to them personally. But that was when I was much younger. I no longer do the sportsman shows because they are expensive and worthless IMHO. But hey, that's just my opinion and everyone has one.

http://www.ixcenter.com/en/Visitors/Schedule_of_Events.aspx?eventid=%7B89890A28-3BFD-45F8-96B6-CE7095B3059B%7D

It's been around 20 years since I went to the show at the IX center, back then it lasted 8 -10 days.

http://www.ixcenter.com/en/Visitors/Schedule_of_Events.aspx?eventid=%7B89890A28-3BFD-45F8-96B6-CE7095B3059B%7D

It's been around 20 years since I went to the show at the IX center, back then it lasted 8 -10 days.

The last time we went the IX Center was cut into two with a huge black curtain because they didn't draw the dealers in like they had.

Years before that, we would stay at a Red Roof Inn in Middleburg Heights and walk across the parking lot for cocktails in the Holiday Inn lounge . . . . that is where I seen Babe Winkleman at the bar and he left with two hookers under his arms. That was way back when he was married to Charlie . . . . boy did he ever trade down with the next wife.

The last time we went the IX Center was cut into two with a huge black curtain because they didn't draw the dealers in like they had.

Years before that, we would stay at a Red Roof Inn in Middleburg Heights and walk across the parking lot for cocktails in the Holiday Inn lounge . . . . that is where I seen Babe Winkleman at the bar and he left with two hookers under his arms. That was way back when he was married to Charlie . . . . boy did he ever trade down with the next wife.

I'm old, dad started taking us to the Sportsman Show back in the late 50's early 60's when it was in downtown Cleveland. A lot of changes as the years went by, in those days catching walleye in Lake Erie became a real tough deal, it seemed like everyone that was interested in catching them was heading to Ontario. They don't have to do that now, and of course costs figure into it? As I recall a lakefront Ontario cabin cost mom and dad like 60 - 80 bucks back then, and it didn't need to be too fancy.

One of the guys we fished tournaments with owned a tackle shop in Strongsville, it became too pricey for him to set up at the Sportsman Show, so he started holding his own deal at his store at the same time.

Was there today. Ran into Mike at his booth. Caught Calvin trying to rummage through my backpack for lures and beer :lol: The main goal was to entertain the grandaughters, and that worked well. They had fun casting, shooting ( Daylilah is one trigger happy little imp), making a lure, and lots of other stuff. They even came home with 4 lures from the casting pond. The girls had a lot of fun, and that makes the show worth the price of admission.

You have to watch that guy..... :whistling::dunno:

I'm old, dad started taking us to the Sportsman Show back in the late 50's early 60's when it was in downtown Cleveland. A lot of changes as the years went by, in those days catching walleye in Lake Erie became a real tough deal, it seemed like everyone that was interested in catching them was heading to Ontario. They don't have to do that now, and of course costs figure into it? As I recall a lakefront Ontario cabin cost mom and dad like 60 - 80 bucks back then, and it didn't need to be too fancy.

One of the guys we fished tournaments with owned a tackle shop in Strongsville, it became too pricey for him to set up at the Sportsman Show, so he started holding his own deal at his store at the same time.

I always heard stories about the great Sportsman Show in Cleveland. I never made it, but always wanted to go. I did get to one in Buffalo, NY a long time ago that was excellent!

I always heard stories about the great Sportsman Show in Cleveland. I never made it, but always wanted to go. I did get to one in Buffalo, NY a long time ago that was excellent!

Rattle, it did used to be great, and Ontario was well represented! We stopped going a few years before I got sick, just seemed better for us to load up 4-6 guys in the van and take a Michigan tour, Jann's Netcraft in Toledo Ohio, BPS in Auburn Hills, and Cabela's in Dundee.

Rattle, it did used to be great, and Ontario was well represented! We stopped going a few years before I got sick, just seemed better for us to load up 4-6 guys in the van and take a Michigan tour, Jann's Netcraft in Toledo Ohio, BPS in Auburn Hills, and Cabela's in Dundee.

Sir, I have pretty much made that tour myself! Missed out on Jann's, but added in Northwoods Outfitters! Michigan has some great stores for fishermen!