White sucker quick question

Locnar

I was thinking of going for a look myself with all the warm weather but ill wait until after this round of cold. Suckers will hit all sorts of things like dead minnows, crayfish, roe bags etc... but its tough to go wrong with worms.

Ive never targeted suckers in waters with trout, the last thing i want to see while sucker fishing is people lol. There are thousands of creeks and rivers with suckers and no trout to fish and thats where ill be.

Glad to see some people enjoy sucker fishing!!!

They are a hoot!

I just use a small plastic worm on a jighead. Let it sit in bottom. A real worm is def. Better. But plastics produce too and I'm not constantly rebaiting.

When they stack up near the creaks, they really stack up! Fish after fish after fish! Great way to introduce fishing to kids too!

U generally keep one or two for pike bait, and one or two to smoke

They are absolutely a hoot, I like using ultralight rods and light line for them... makes for some good fun. I haven't tried smoking them, but I have tried frying one. Tasty enough, but bony. I've heard smoking them is the way to go.

The creek that I fish is usually devoid of trout, it does get a small run of rainbows... but at the bend that I hit, I've only seen 2 trout passing through over the years. Saw a big old largemouth there last year.

I checked out the creek today after work, water is still too high and murky to see if they've come upstream yet. Will check again in a few days when the water clears up a bit... so long as it doesn't freeze over again like last weekend.

Seems like with the weather patterns, it'll be trout opener by the time it's warm enough for the suckers to reach that high. I had the MNR called on me once there for fishing suckers before opener, but we showed him our rigs... and were well aware of where we could legally fish trout and answered some questions about the regulations. He was a decent enough fellow, seemed glad we knew the regs and slightly annoyed that he got called down to check on us. I'm glad to see the enforcement out there, but once he left... we gave the house that backed onto the creek a little wave and continued fishing.

If I could figure how to deal with them pesky bones, then yeah I'd give suckers another go. Italo is the man.

If I could figure how to deal with them pesky bones, then yeah I'd give suckers another go. Italo is the man.

My depression era uncle told of spearing suckers in Twenty Mile Creek above Jordan Harbour in the spring as a kid and they would can them, I'm assuming it would be best to use mason jars and a pressure cooker from my canning experience, the bones would soften during canning process and then not a problem like canned salmon.

Edited by dave524

My depression era uncle told of spearing suckers in Twenty Mile Creek above Jordan Harbour in the spring as a kid and they would can them, I'm assuming it would be best to use mason jars and a pressure cooker from my canning experience, the bones would soften during canning process and then not a problem like canned salmon.

Yeah the bones dissolve.

I miss my smoked sucker, can't wait for spring!!! I'm gonna do more than normal this year

the last thing i want to see while sucker fishing is people lol.

Kinda makes ya laugh on many levels. lol. Nice!!!

Fished sucker last spring and had never really targeted 'em. It was surprisingly good fun and I still have some great bait vacuum sealed and ready to go.