Trailer reciever ball question.

While getting gas today in Swag Holler (actually Fisherville just east of Dog's Nest) Ontario the lady attendant there warned me that I cold be ticketed because I have my receiver and ball attached to my truck and I wasn't towing anything. Everyone I know and there has to be 5 pickups/SUV's per passenger vehicle out this way and I always see the receiver and ball attached to the truck. She was quite adamant in her opinion that was based on her daughter getting a warning by the local OPP. I can find any legislation concerning this in the Ont. Highway Traffic act for towing. Section 618 I think it was, all and everything else though.

Is she mistaken? Just because I can't find it that doesn't mean it isn't so. I have never heard of this law and I have put a few miles driving in the last 48 years. Are we really expected to disconnect and pull the receiver and ball after every tow? I don't think so. I do take it out and clean and or paint it every few years. More often is what is recommended I believe.

Thanks all,

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

To me it would make sense to take it off, I always do and wouldn't complain if they made it a rule for others. I have banged my shins off exposed hitches more than once. You also see cars with neatly punched holes in their front bumper! These things perhaps might not have happened if a receiver/ball was not in place

To me it would make sense to take it off, I always do and wouldn't complain if they made it a rule for others. I have banged my shins off exposed hitches more than once. You also see cars with neatly punched holes in their front bumper! These things perhaps might not have happened if a receiver/ball was not in place

Oh my shins lol,comes off soon as a trailer is off.

I'm leaving mine on, 2006 Jeep Liberty with the gas tank at the back, several cases of them blowing up in low speed impact so there was a recall, the FIX, install a trailer hitch :tease:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/safety-organization-investigation-jeep-fires.shtml

the full size spare on the back door pretty much keeps shins out of harm's way

Edited by dave524

I've whacked my shin more times than i care to admit, and half of them on my own truck sadly lol

I take mine off immediately now when I'm done towing, because drop hitches on a lifted truck are high theft magnets in my neck of the woods

in my old truck somebody rear ended me in a tim hortons drive thru, and then backed up and took off most of their bumper that was stuck on the ball...then blamed me for the damage because I shouldn't drive around with it unless I'm towing hahaha

in my old truck somebody rear ended me in a tim hortons drive thru, and then backed up and took off most of their bumper that was stuck on the ball...then blamed me for the damage because I shouldn't drive around with it unless I'm towing hahaha

A pal got rear ended once on a lot and the hitter fled the scene. The problem for that guy was his bumper also was imbedded in the back of buddies truck, complete with license plate. The cops howled when he showed them at the station. They told the guy someone found his plate on the road and for him to come and pick it up at the station, he did and they arrested him for hit and run, big fine and points.

A pal got rear ended once on a lot and the hitter fled the scene. The problem for that guy was his bumper also was imbedded in the back of buddies truck, complete with license plate. The cops howled when he showed them at the station. They told the guy someone found his plate on the road and for him to come and pick it up at the station, he did and they arrested him for hit and run, big fine and points.

Excellent.

I took mine out once after 3 years to use it on another truck. It was so rusted I had to hammer it out. I cleaned and painted it and now take it out to clean it up every year or so. You don't want that breaking while towing, the coder pin was so rusted I changed it to a stainless pin. The pin that goes through the receiver must have been a good stainless as it was fine. Lucky that coder pin didn't fail as I believe the locking pin will eventually work itself out.

I leave mine in.

One of the local car wash drive thru decided it need to be removed. I left and a apparently lots of others did to. Sign gone no issue.

I did buy a pin with a big wire that goes done under the receiver to other side. Couple towns where a problem and not likely not kids pulling your cotter key.

This monster is easily watched.

I leave mine in.

One of the local car wash drive thru decided it need to be removed. I left and a apparently lots of others did to. Sign gone no issue.

I did buy a pin with a big wire that goes done under the receiver to other side. Couple towns where a problem and not likely not kids pulling your cotter key.

This monster is easily watched.

There are locking hitch pins to prevent theft.