A fly -in for my son and I.

Big Cliff

Well, it's been a long time coming but I figure I'd better do it while I can still enjoy it LOL.

Thanks to Mike, the list got narrowed down pretty quickly to five outfitters, a couple of emails and reading up on them narrowed it down to two and the detailed replies and prompt responses narrowed that down to one;

Don & Annette Elliot Mattice Lake Outfitters

I didn't realize how much work was going to be involved in planning "the perfect trip", It turns out that there are plenty of options, American Plan, Lodge, remote cabin.... ok that one was easy, we like to be alone together and both of us can cook, remote lodge it is.

Neither of us is a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy so a trophy fish isn't really high on our list of priorities but numbers would be fun, we've both had 15 or so walleye days but some of the reports we are reading are 100-200 walleye days, now that sounds like a real blast!!!!! We both agree that numbers would be our priority.

There is one small catch though, we are going for 5 days, would we want to perhaps mix it up a bit and get some trout fishing in? Well to do that we'd have to fish a clear cold lake but the walleye can be tough to catch in a clear lake on a sunny day; we could portage but I'm 71 so depending on how difficult the portage is......

Well, we've at least narrowed it down to two lakes and I think we have pretty much decided on Vick Lake, tea stained but loaded with walleye. The other benefit to Vick Lake is that it is a C&C (catch and consume) lake, some are only C&R. If we are going walleye fishing we do want to be able to have a nice feed of walleye, we really don't care about bringing some home with us but we do want a feed (or 5).

Then comes choosing a date to go, June = lots of bugs, Aug. Sue and I have a commitment on Aug. 12 that we just can't miss and at some point Sue and I want to head down East for 5 or 6 weeks. Ok, so we still have to choose a date, we're thinking last week of June or first week of July.. I'm just waiting for my son to figure out what works for him.

The list of stuff to bring suggested on their website is really good but now we still have to plan meals for the two of us for the 5 days (no 10 lbs of bacon just doesn't cut it; that was my first choice though LOL) So if any of you have done a 5 day fly-in suggestions for what to bring in the way of food would be much appreciated. We have refrigeration and full cooking facilities and we can both make a dinner out of just about nothing but suggestions from those with experience would be appreciated!

Neither of us are big drinkers, my son might have a shot of rye on occasion, me, I sometimes like a shot of brandy in the evening and I've been known to enjoy a cold beer or two on occasion but I'm not expecting booze to make up a large part of our weight limit.

For fishing tackle we are both taking two rods (just in case) and a selection of jigs and plastics (might take a couple of hundred worms). I make my own in-line spinners my whole kit probably weighs 5 lbs and I can make harnesses, spinners, go getters, of almost any color or style we want so I don't think tackle will be a problem (but again anyone that's done it, suggestions based on experience are MOST welcome!) Remember we are likely going to be fishing tea stained water so I'm thinking slow and scent are going to be a big part of it.

At the end of all of this I hope to be posting a very detailed report on the outfitter, the resources, (although from everything I've seen and read so far we couldn't have gotten a better outfitter) what we learned and suggestions for those that might follow.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Taking Mikes advice was a good start.. While I have never been on a fly in, I have been on some lakes that are equal to one. Jigs will catch just about anything. You really won't need a lot of tackle. I went on a trip with a buddy of mine and he convinced me that a small tackle box is all that I would need. He was right.. A small variety was more than enough. As for food I would bring a few premade frozen meals for the days that you are too tired to cook from scratch. Since you aren't going to haul in a bunch of beer you should have plenty of available weight.. Lol

I think you are going to love a fly in Big Cliff. Only did it once and the memories are priceless. I will suggest to transfer all liquids or food that come in glass and metal cans into plastic bottles and containers to keep the weight down. Take everything thing else in totes that are easy to carry and keep things dry. Lots of pasta and rice goes a long way.

We used to portage into back lakes off the Kimberly Clark logging roads and carry 12 foot tinnies plus tackle, food, drinks, 9.9's and gas over Beaver Dams in these lakes. I could never do that now, not even think about it. We have come across a few fly in guys that lost it when they found out we drove in. We dropped off some supplies to them at the bottom of the path that week. Find out what exactly a portage would entail. Just getting in and out of a 12 foot boat today is an adventure for me. I would also suggest if you get an opportunity to fish for other species of fish go for it. It can get very boring reeling in 2 pound Pics day in and day out. Plus if the Walleye have lock jaw the Trout may not.

We always went the end of May beginning of June when there was still some ice in the creeks in the dark woods. Bugs were not as bad as I have seen it as far south as Point Au Barril just last May, it was very bad. Eat with a bug net on bad. I'm sure Mike has tips for you to keep things light and dry as well.

Have fun my dear Sir. Keep us undated.

Definite adventure in th making!!!! Cliff, jigs, jigs and jigs, along with some lindy rigs for drifting around, a few slow death rigs are nice to have too if they have lockjaw. A bunch of plastics, a flat of crawlers and you are good to go. A portable fishfinder will make your life a lot easier, batteries for it (rechargeable would be great if you have the means to recharge). A cpl rods and reels each, a replacement tip, a net, extra line and maybe a few rapalas. Food wise, prepare as much as you can in advance. Premade oatmeal in a coffee can or ziplock, pancake mix (doubles as fish coating), a couple frozen pasta sauces made in advance, a couple nice frozen steaks, dry pasta, dry rice, a sack of potatoes, some onions, bread, sandwich meat, BACON, BACON and some more BACON. Some snacks and the like. Think about what you want to eat in advance and do the prep at home to make your life at the camp easier. Some pop, alcoholic bevvies of your choice (I know you two are not big drinkers but a cold beer on a hot day......), a mickey of rye and one of brandy and you are good to go.

Good choice to go with Don. Cabins, equipment, lakes, all top notch.

I think the C&R is only for brook trout on some lakes.

From Don's description of Vick, you might want to bring a pike set up and some spoons and take advantage of them too.

Edited by chris.brock

Enjoy your trip Cliff. Did three fly-ins with my brother and friends....lotsa great memories. The one thing I would recommend you take is a good plastic travel mug. Keeps the cold beverages cold longer and the warm beverages warm longer. And great in a pinch if you get some rain and have to bail some water out of the boat. I always had mine but a few others didn't and some camps had only glass water glasses and glass coffee mugs. A bit of a PITA around a rocky northern camp or out in the boat.

Putting your fishing gear in 5 gallon buckets with a cover (can duct tape the cover on)will protect it all in the plane and in the boat. It will also keep all your stuff dry in the boat so you don't have to bring it all inside when it rains. Put a half roll of duct tape in the bucket for on the way home or for emergency repairs on things that break.

Frozen food can replace ice so keep that in mind.

Black bucktail jigs and or black twister tails will catch you all the fish you can reel in without any bait. Tea colored water is the very best for walleye numbers.

I would take more then 2 rods overall. Two jigging rods and two trolling rods is what I would try to do.

lots of great suggestions already. One thing we found very helpful was a gravity fed water purifier. Not sure if drinking water is available, but on our fly in it wasn't. I believe it was a Katadyn, and we hung that up and drained it into one of those clear folding plastic water jugs.

like the boys already mentioned, premake as much food as you can. frozen lasagna, frozen pasta sauce, meatloaf, instant hot cereal, etc

when/if the bite slows, jig head tipped with 1/2 worm dragged on the bottom always produced for us....

You're allowed 150lbs each. That's 50lbs more than most fly-ins. MLO operates their own air service and most places that don't have to charter are quite forgiving when it comes to weight. So, I wouldn't worry about weight too much, but you still have to be somewhat smart about it.

Mike, you know the value of quality from your own experiences, once you have decided to go look at the difference in price between a "basic package" and a "deluxe package". for a few $ more you move up the ladder really quickly.

Well Cliff you sure started your planning off right for this trip by getting in touch with Mike he has helped me out a lot when I needed to make a decision on certain outpost camps that I wanted to fly into as for Meal plans you will figure that out your self and since you and your son are not big drinkers do not worry to much about making your weight a good outfitter will not charge you for being a little over with that being said I hope you and your son have a great trip and just a little warning it may not be your last Fly in they can be very addictive my Dad took me on my first Fly in back in 2002 and I have been hooked on them ever since my brother and I will be going on our 15th Fly in trip this September.

Cheers Mitch