1st fish finder help

Slimbo85

hey guys looking to grab a fish finder, is there alot of options in the $500 to $800 range? ive been researching the helix 7 and looks like the best bang for my buck? radioworld seems like the best place to grab fish finders? think im gonna grab it and the next fishing show as it is no tax i think

thoughts?

anything i should be looking for in a fish finder? mostly gonna be fishing for pike and bass, gonna troll a bit

thanks guys

The options are many in that price range for a solo unit. I have Hummingbird, Lowrance, and Garmin units. All do what they say they will do. I would get a colour GPS combo unit for sure, you will thank yourself later, especially for the fishing you are doing, any fishing really. Catch a fish, make a weigh point, go back to the exact same spot once you land it or 5 years from now. Get the largest screen your money can buy. I do not have or use side imaging so I can't comment.

I am not sure you really need a fancy fish finder, bass tend to hold tight to cover and so do pike, a GPS will probably get a lot more use. If you were fishing deep water, suspended fish, I might put more money into a unit but for what you described I'd be going very basic. Just my $0.02 worth.

I'd recommend checking out Raymarine units too. That's probably what I'd buy if I was looking for a new sonar. Definitely a GPS/Chartplotter with that budget. Make sure you can get the maps you want.

Radioworld is a great shop. Prices always seemed competitive, but I haven't been up there in a quite a few years now.

A helix series would probably do it. They have pretty bright displays, and so far I've been happy with the sonar on mine. I use mine for ice fishing, but if it where for my boat I'd go with the 7 inch. Get the sonar/GPS for sure. You'll never regret the GPS.

All sonars are color now and nearly all are GPS combos...

Looks like those Helixs and the Lowrance Hook units offer the most bang for the buck currently... Raymarines and Garmin are good too but I've always preferred using stuff that is common amongst many retailers and my fellow anglers in case parts or support was ever needed.

Edited by fishdawg

Ended up grabbing the helix 7x si gps at the boat show here in hamilton today

Think it's last year's model..shows $889.99 on the box, bills bait was selling it for 600 and ended up walking away with the unit for $540

Thats a good price! Enjoy.

It never came with the card, should I buy it? Still a solid deal even though it did not include that?

Thanks for all your help guys this forum is a beauty

I agree with you on the solid deal. If it were me I would buy it. It is a good navigation tool to have when fishing new water or even familiar lakes for that matter. Bills bait would more than likely sell them, if not fishing world does for sure.

They're all really good nowadays

Definitely get color sonar/gps combo

Side imaging is pretty cool too

I find Humminbird is easy to use but lowrance has better capability for an experienced electronics guy

I personally like Humminbird and haven't really had any major issues

If I get another unit it will have auto chart (i think that's what it's called) where I can make my own maps

If I get another unit it will have auto chart (i think that's what it's called) where I can make my own maps

When I purchased my new unit @ Christmas that was a must have for me.

My local waters are all uncharted except for some less than stellar charts of Great Slave.

I ended up purchasing a Garmin Echomap Chirp unit. These units as well as their higher end units can map on the fly which is awesome.

Even better is the price when compared to any other manufacturer that offers units that can map.

The Lowrance units that map are their HDS Gen 2 and above. Lots of $$$ plus you have to upload your data to get the mapping back.

The new Humminbird and Garmin's do it on the fly and save directly to a memory card.

My Garmin is a 9" and cost was hundreds less than any comparable unit that can create maps.

I can't wait to get on the lake this summer and map away. :D

15672664_1698473643512301_44392989840413

With the $$$ I saved I picked up a Humminbird Helix 7 on clearance for $250. ;)

15732462_1707895605903438_76172488079877

Edited by DRIFTER_016