Anyone still out on the ice?

Tjames09

There's only so many threads you can make...OFC is helpful but it's no substitute for going out and finding out yourself. Yes there's safe ice pretty much everywhere in the province except for southern Ontario. You could drive a tank on Nipissing.

There's only so many threads you can make...OFC is helpful but it's no substitute for going out and finding out yourself. Yes there's safe ice pretty much everywhere in the province except for southern Ontario. You could drive a tank on Nipissing.

There is all kinds of safe ice in southern ontario too if you go look for it.

S.

First post I've made asking how the ice is......my last topic was on how the weather looked promising.

And I'm stuck at work all weekend otherwise I'd be out there checking. Shouldn't be any harm asking others how it is and if people still out there.

First post I've made asking how the ice is......my last topic was on how the weather looked promising.

And I'm stuck at work all weekend otherwise I'd be out there checking. Shouldn't be any harm asking others how it is and if people still out there.

Atleast you didnt ask where. You would of been hung by the kockles. LOL

No worries here.

You asked a plain question. I gave you a plain answer. Im probly further then you want to travel anways. :canadian::Gonefishing:

At my folks place now and the West side shore is very thin. I didn't pack my fishing gear (daughter is sick) so I used an old broken hockey stick as a spud and I broke the 100% white ice with 3 hits. I can see a line where the melt happened. My dad thought the shore opened up here with the past mild spell. However a guy is out 20' out on his sled going up and down the lake.

Fair enough. Of course there is safe ice to be found, it's just that most people will be hesitant to give someone who is likely new to ice fishing an endorsement of ice safety unless they know that you're aware of how to do your due diligence, especially with inconsistent this winter has been.

Maybe I should have just said "yes" lol

All I know is that I saw Robins eating worms today and the Daffodils are starting to push up out of the soil.

I didnt see any where I was fishing today. Walking was great. Ice was 6-8". 2 big shifts happened though. Making ice again. :Gonefishing:

I didnt see any where I was fishing today. Walking was great. Ice was 6-8". 2 big shifts happened though. Making ice again. :Gonefishing:

Lol, I really did see that yesterday. I am in London though. I am sure the ice is fine in many places still.

Even with cold you are going to start getting melting with the increased solar loading at this time of year

I couldn't even step on the ice at my folks place and keep dry. They had 3 different drainage tubes even in -24C still running water to the shore line the last 2 nights... I would have needed a 14' long 2x8 to get me to safer ice (if lucky). My season is done in my mind to safety. Rather be safe than sorry here... Call me whatever but I'm okay with it as this is an area I DO fish and now cannot

*edit* to the poster I quoted, I'm 100% with you on this not a quote to be rude to you

Edited by GBW

I still have a couple of inches here. :whistling:

17191954_1818600011499663_11174574427883

does ice season ever truly end for you guys? :)

the good old days in manitoba when we drove the van out on the ice on my birthday mid april.

We actually are now running the best ice we have had all year in PAB. The snow melted and the white ice got soft and saturated, then the cold snap froze it all way harder than it ever was, and then subsequently over the past 4 days of really good cold (we got to minus -25 3 consecutive nights) we now have an additional 6 inches of black ice under the original ice layer. You could drive a truck on the ice in PAB.