The Cops found it.

DanD

Embarrassing

That's why you don't leave your car warming up for 20 minutes in your drive way

And the guys doing it got caught. It was national news, the crew had hundreds of high end sports cars it was pretty cool.

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/police-disrupt-vaughan-based-car-theft-ring-seize-5m-worth-of-cars-stolen-goods-1.3176819

Edited by FishnNAutographs

That's why you don't leave your car warming up for 20 minutes in your drive way

And the guys doing it got caught. It was national news, the crew had hundreds of high end sports cars it was pretty cool.

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/police-disrupt-vaughan-based-car-theft-ring-seize-5m-worth-of-cars-stolen-goods-1.3176819

Mmmm nutella

Embarrassing

You do realize the resources the OPP work with right? Do you propose a police state?

Stolen vehicles are hardly on the high priority list. These aren't violent crimes. And resources are limited, all sorts of jurisdiction issues and beaurocracy etc.

Yeah it sucks but someone went missing or was raped, your vehicle isn't necessarily high on the list of things to solve.

Edited by manitoubass2

Embarrassing

Really? Ever heard of prioritizing? Police in the GTA are probably a bit more worried about things such as gun crime, keeping fentanyl off the street, and keeping things moving in the city. They've warned people about warm-up thefts, have a couple resources working on it, but it's not a huge priority as people don't die because of it.

A- The insurance company will Pay out very based on the age and mileage. A perfectly good vehicle is worth very little at that age.

B- The scumbags that did this should have their hands cut off. Mark a thief for what he or she is.

Why is there are separate police on First Nations Land?

What happens to a criminal that gets caught and convicted on First Nations Land? Do they go through a separate incarceration system?

I am not trying to stir anything up, just curious about the process because I do not know.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/2250679-city-s-car-theft-crown-tied-to-six-nations

Really? Ever heard of prioritizing? Police in the GTA are probably a bit more worried about things such as gun crime, keeping fentanyl off the street, and keeping things moving in the city. They've warned people about warm-up thefts, have a couple resources working on it, but it's not a huge priority as people don't die because of it.

Yep, more money for the police to stop those who slow roll a stop sign or other minor infractions then to go after the real criminals.

To many good parts left on this truck for a chop shop.

Yep.

Odds are the vehicle was stolen only for the wheels seeing as a surprising number of vehicles are stolen for nothing but the rims and tires, There's also a very good chance the thief let his buddies know where the truck was so they could go shopping. Typically they'll just drive a short distance into the bush to work on it, but sometimes they'll just be a few feet in from the bush line.

Seen dozens of trucks and SUV's while riding ATV's on the reserve.

This article is a bit dated but the sad situation hasn't improved any since it was written, Brantford is still the auto theft capital of Canada:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2010/07/24/behind-auto-theft-numbers

Not by a long shot for Canada. It's not even true if we are just looking at current statistics for Ontario cities. The car theft capital of Ontario would be Hamilton. There must be a reservation near Jackson Square. :)

http://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/ca/news/auto/the-canadian-city-with-the-most-auto-thefts-is-46783.aspx?p=1

Edited by scuro2

Not by a long shot for Canada. It's not even true if we are just looking at current statistics for Ontario cities. The car theft capital of Ontario would be Hamilton. There must be a reservation near Jackson Square. :)

http://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/ca/news/auto/the-canadian-city-with-the-most-auto-thefts-is-46783.aspx?p=1

Only 30 mins to get to the Caledonia (six Nations) reserve from downtown Hamilton

Also, that article is 2 years old so using it for current statistics isn't relevant

Edited by Lucas F

You are correct that Brantford is not #1 Canada any more but the stats quoted in this article are insurance rates not theft data. The article does state however that "According to Statistics Canada data, the Hamilton and Brantford census metropolitan areas have the two highest rates of motor vehicle theft in Ontario".

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of current data around but I did find this one from 2010 where Brantford is listed as #5 in and Hamilton #19 in thefts per capita in Canada. They may not be #1 in Canada but they are 1 & 2 in Ontario and both border on a common territory in between (just sayin'). Yes these are 2010 stats, I get that, but safe to say that the Hamilton/Brantford area is a hotbed of auto theft and I'm sure current stats would bear that out if we could find them.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/auto-theft/

Edited by G.mech

The Hamilton Metropolitan area...ie the city of Hamilton proper. So could we not then safely conclude that there may be other auto theft rings operating in Hamilton? If not than why did Paris, Cambridge, Ancaster, or Caledonia make the top 10 list...if the Reservation crew is driving some distance to collect cars...why not those cities?

Thieves from the reserve go out with shopping lists checking busy parking lots, tim hortons, or just cruising around until they find a candidate before following the person home to see where they live. Anywhere within an hours drive from the reserve is fair game as they don't like to go too far from the reserve. However, they prefer larger cities (easier to find what they need) with back roads back to the reserve. London, Hamilton, Brantford, St Catherines, etc are all prime targets with backroads back to the reserve. It makes little sense to target small towns due to much lower odds of finding targets and heading north east of Hamilton is a poor choice because of the much greater risk of being caught on the way back to the reserve.

Big money in stealing trucks and ATV's, some people do it every day the same as normal folks work a full time job.

Thing's will never improve until we're all treated as equals. Until then, natives will continue to laugh at our justice system and we'll all continue to pay higher insurance premiums.

Interesting reading the various posts....

Basically, it seems that there is no political will to stop it because the solution will be worse than the problem.

The criminals have figured out our society is more than OK with accepting stolen vehicles and the cost of it. Than we would be reading about, some fleeing suspect mowed down a mom crossing the streets with their kids, to get away, when the police wouldn't back off. I am very much behind law and order for everyone but I totally accept the logic of giving up a vehicle for any potential injury any person cop or innocent civilian.

All through history the most dangerous times were always when a segment of society felt they had nothing to lose..... Seems we have that now.

Agreed, well said.

The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Is Hamilton the car theft capital of Ontario because of the mafia which has a long history in that neck of the woods? That is an assumption I wouldn't never voice because I could well be wrong and judging falsely is corrosive to society. There are far to many vocal "experts" feeling compelled to share their opinion based often on nothing more than gossip. It's been my experience that none of these soapbox experts want to spend one minute to dig for truth nor truly do what is required to judge what the truth really is.

Edited by scuro2

The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Is Hamilton the car theft capital of Ontario because of the mafia which has a long history in that neck of the woods? That is an assumption I wouldn't never voice because I could well be wrong and judging falsely is corrosive to society. There are far to many vocal "experts" feeling compelled to share their opinion based often on nothing more than gossip. It's been my experience that none of these soapbox experts want to spend one minute to dig for truth nor truly do what is required to judge what the truth really is.

Well Said :clapping: I always say... if you do not know ... say nothing and don't look like a fool

Still no news from the insurance; other then that my rental vehicle has to go back this Saturday or I'll be on the hook for the cost from there on.The insurance sure do take their time when it's on their side. They only collected the Avalanche form the towing company's compound yesterday?

Probably wrong to do, assuming they're going to write the truck off; but I've got a 2017 Silverado LT, 4X4, crew cab, short box being written up for me and put on hold, until there's something official from the insurance.

Had to laugh at the salesman at the dealership; made the deal for the truck over the phone. He asked when I was coming in to see and road test the thing. I said I'm not; does it drive any different then a 2015 or 2016? There was silence and then a meek No???? LOL. The only thing I ask is that when I give him the green light, the truck is ready to go; short of a couple of signatures.

Dan.