Asian carp in the St Lawrence

bigugli

Well it looks like things are going to get complicated in Quebec. Quebec's Ministry of Forests, Wildlife, and Parks has found more than a dozen sites with evidence of Reed carp in the Trois Rivieres area and tributaries. Not pretty.

Gotta love media panic

Grass carp have been around a long time

I saw one about 10 years ago on the river

Theses aren't the devastating water destroying jumpers

Yes, it would be helpful if the media indicated the actual species instead of referring to silver, grass, bighead, & black carp as 'asian carp'. All carp are asian carp.

I have never heard of reed carp before. Perhaps that is the french to english translation of grass carp. If so, there have already been several reports of them over the last few years.

Phew this article scared me for a second.

It seems that most species of asian carp fit well within the ecosystem (I think) aside from the silver ones.

Somewhat related, the US government has re-introduced the alligator gar in the Mississippi in an effort to reduce asian silver carp population;

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/08/conservation-of-ancient-fishes-reintroducing-the-alligator-gar-and-what-about-those-carp/

Wow, that article is totally misleading. The story is about Asian Carp invading the St. Lawrence while the dramatic jumping carp in the picture are from the Ohio River. Brutal journalism.

I think that using a single term, asian carp, to refer to several completely different species of fish is far more misleading than using a picture from a different river.