Quebec Lake Trout Lodge Rec?

douG

I haven't been around much for a while, but I am still kicking. Good to see so many ol timers are still active on the board. Yes, I know - rest easy, joey. You will be deeply missed.

I am planning one more fly in with my Dad and his buddies, and want to look at Quebec this time. Something kinda cushy is the request as the old folks are in their late 80s now,with good fish and facilities a must, American plan, with a float base within say 8 hrs of Ottawa. Lakers or specs.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I gave up on researching outfitters in Quebec. Even the provincial tourism websites suck. I'm sure there's some really cool places to go in QUE but with the language barrier and the outfitter's poor web presence, I just said fucht this.

Good luck though

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I hear what you are saying about the frustrating web presence. I am hoping that this will mean less traffic and better fishing, as long as I can find what I am looking for. I will keep you posted and throw up a trip report on my return.

Yep, Brian! I took a page out of Meely's book about the gweeches, and I still take em fishing with me when I go. Hope all is well with you.

You have many many choices and the fishing is pretty much excellent anywhere. Are you bringing your own boats? How big of a lake would you tolerate?

Not sure how cushy is too cushy for your group, but Reserve Beauchene is pretty much the epitome of excellent trout fishing, and 5+ star accomodations. The main lake is great for lakers, and they have tons of backlakes loaded with specks, splake, and lakers (some stocked, and some natural).

Cabonga reservoir is an amazing lake trout fishery, and apparently a pretty beautiful and gigantic piece of water, don't know any particular outfitters but I'm sure there are some very nice facilities on the lake.

There are many ZEC's in the province which operate nice outfitters in areas with lots of small brook and lake trout waterbodies. Go on the main ZEC website, click english and spend a night investigating your options if you're more into the small lake thing.

I gave up on researching outfitters in Quebec. Even the provincial tourism websites suck. I'm sure there's some really cool places to go in QUE but with the language barrier and the outfitter's poor web presence, I just said fucht this.

Good luck though

Let's go exploring this spring. I speak english just fine. :)

Thanks, Joeytier. That's some good info. No, we won't be dragging boats on this trip, so the size of the lake would be limited by the boats provided by the lodge or outfitter. Large open water is a challenge for most lodge-provided boats.

I am looking into Beauchene and Cabonga now, and grateful for your help.

Just read this on another site =

If anyone is travelling to our beautiful province this spring, please be aware that once again, Quebec is making it known that it is the province that fun forgot.

Our provincial wildlife administration has put into place new measures for the use of baitfish for fishing.

From April 1 until December 20( when ``winter`` fishing season opens) NO LIVE OR DEAD BAITFISH are permitted for fishing. Nothing. Nada. Zero Zilch. This includes store bought herring, smelts, mackerel, anything.

From December 20, until March 31 annually, dead baitfish are permitted for the `` winter `` fishing period.

Also, in shared waterways with other provinces where live bait was legal to use in the winter, it is now prohibited to use any live baitfish to fish in winter or summer.

Here`s the Coles notes,

April 1-December 20- NO BAITFISH ALLOWED FOR FISHING AT ALL.

December 20-March 31- ONLY DEAD BAITFISH ALLOWED.

For anyone that doesn`t speak French, the MFFP (governing body in Quebec for wildlife regs) website is a nightmare. All of the publications and press releases are solely published in French....

hopefully this info will save any visitors from a fine, as our wardens are pretty ticket happy.

• 3 weeks later...

OK! It's done! Four of us are booked into Lac Roz for the second week in June. Lac Roz is about 100 km north of the Transtaiga road that runs E/W across the James Bay region, serving Hydro Quebec and the La Grande river system of generating stations. We will fly from Montreal to LG-4 airport in a PC-12 Pilatus, about 1000 km, and then take a float plane from there, about 150 km, to the lake. The camp has hot and cold running water, shower, propane stove and fridge. Food is provided for us, along with 21 ft Vercheres river boats and new 20 hp four strokes. The targets are lake and speckled trout, and there are pike as well. Just 80 more sleeps!

I think BigCreekDad has been up that way with MIrage Outfitters almost 10 years ago, and maybe Fishnsled? Has anyone else fished Roz?

Thanks again, joeytier, for your great advice. Perseverance paid off!

Thanks, Brian. It could be the last trip I make with Pa who will be 85 this summer. His days of sleeping four to a tent on LaVieille, Hogan or LaMuir in Algonquin are behind him. Even if the weather turns crap we will all be comfortable. There will be a report of course.

OK! It's done! Four of us are booked into Lac Roz for the second week in June. Lac Roz is about 100 km north of the Transtaiga road that runs E/W across the James Bay region, serving Hydro Quebec and the La Grande river system of generating stations. We will fly from Montreal to LG-4 airport in a PC-12 Pilatus, about 1000 km, and then take a float plane from there, about 150 km, to the lake. The camp has hot and cold running water, shower, propane stove and fridge. Food is provided for us, along with 21 ft Vercheres river boats and new 20 hp four strokes. The targets are lake and speckled trout, and there are pike as well. Just 80 more sleeps!

I think BigCreekDad has been up that way with MIrage Outfitters almost 10 years ago, and maybe Fishnsled? Has anyone else fished Roz?

That is an outfitter I have not heard of...sounds incredible!

That area is my destination of choice when I do make it out for a long, serious fishing trip. Great choice, you won't regret it. You'll catch more fish than you ever have in your life.

Check on the availability of potable water, one would assume that with hot and cold running water the water would be potable, not always the case! I just picked up some Aquatabs for our trip in June.

I'll be interested in seeing your report when you get back, enjoy!

Thanks, BillM. You know there will be a report. Solopaddler has offered to set me up with some flyfishing gear and casting tutorial on the Grand as well before we leave. Now THERE's an offer I can't refuse! We agree it would simply be a crime to fish river-run brookies without a fly rod. Mike is a standup guy, I don't care what anyone says LOL.

Appreciate the comment, Sterling. Pa worked up there in the late 70s and early 80s, commissioning the hydro stations, so this will be a chance to return to his old stomping grounds and do some serious fishing. It will be a first for the rest of us to visit the subarctic.

Thanks, BigCliff, for the drinking water tip. I bought a katadyn filter system a few years ago for my algonquin and fly in trips, and it has served me well. It will definitely make the trip.

Cheers!

• 8 months later...

I was wondering why this old thread came up. I'm glad I noticed the date before I replied. Maybe Art can help you tracking down doug Nemo. I know he can't give out any email addresses but maybe he can contact douG to contact you.

I won't fish in Quebec ever again. Like being beamed down to a different planet.