moose hunting Quebec/and fishing of course!

brkygetr

Hey all. This years fall adventure is taking my group to Quebec for the first time to chase around swamp donkeys and catch some tasty fish. Our intended destination is in the northwest up the James Bay Rd. We have all the regulations and such figured out but I am wondering about any unwritten rules/etiquette? Specifically the practice of `Staking` hunting areas. I am familiar with the practice here for waterfowl hunting on opening day. Does the same apply there? The area we are going has a 3 week gun season and we are going 3rd week. If there is no obvious camp in the area but signage what is the protocol?

If anyone can help me out with this it would be much appreciated.

Also any other stories, good or bad, of the area off the James Bay Rd would be good intel. I expect the rivers and lakes of the area should hold walleye/pike?

let me know..

I would think that if no one else was there by the 3rd week then you should be ok. Crown land is first come first served.. I don't know what the fishing is like but if you are only there for a week you may be tight for time unless you get a moose early..

10-4 Joey. That's what I thought. So to take it a step further say your heading in on a main bush road that is 30-40-80 k long...I expect to see lots of postings off into cuts... Is it kosher to drive past them as long as you stay on the main road? Where we are heading there will not be anybody day hunting from home...there would have to be a camp. As a side note we are not in a ZEC area....basically crown land.

And also how early do the postings go up. Lets just say a guy goes up scouting 3 weeks before and places a sign? Is that acceptable?

Edited by brkygetr

Good to know about the dates. What about rivers? One of the locations we are contemplating would be to camp on a river and basically hunt the river system. Would I expect to see at sign at the access point or do people travel the rivers and then place signs along them indicating they are hunting that part of the river? By the way I appreciate the feedback as it is very difficult I have determined to get this type of info unless you talk to someone who actually does it.

I suppose it would depend on the volume of hunters in the area

My area (13 west) is one the busiest moose hunting regions in the province so people are pretty strict with marking territory. I would not mark the access unless you are sure you'll be hunting the same spot for multiple days. If you're going to be covering a larger river 'nomadically' I wouldn't bother. Sounds like an awesome trip you've got planned there.

We are specifically heading north to get away from the crowds. The fact that a non-resident license costs just shy of $500 we want to be able to hunt freely and not impose on anyone else. No knowing if it will work out but as long as we find a decent camp location and there is good sign we should at the least have a good time. hopefully a belly full of walter's as well!

Where I hunt in Northern Ontario it's first come first served.. A sign means nothing.. It's a courtesy to leave the area if someone else is there first.. If there's a side road and someone is camped there then we turn around and find somewhere else..

Where I hunt in Northern Ontario it's first come first served.. A sign means nothing.. It's a courtesy to leave the area if someone else is there first.. If there's a side road and someone is camped there then we turn around and find somewhere else..

Most people here hunt in treestands or ground blinds. If you go through the effort of building a stand, clearing some shooting lanes, putting out salt licks/cameras etc I think it's fair to mark your spot.