Planning for Lake Nipigon

floater

I'm starting to plan for an upcoming trip to Lake Nipigon. I've been looking for campsites and boat launches. I see Poplar Lodge Park up there and i'd like to know if anyone knows if they have a boat launch? There is also an un-serviced Ontario Park there but they also have no info on boat launches. I read some where that they also opened a Marina called High Hill Harbor Marina but can't find any info on it. Any info would be great thanks.

I'm trying to nail down a location for good size Brook Trout up near Lake Nipigon. I've been reading that the Nipigon River also has some good sized fish. Does anyone know of campground or cabin rentals along the Nipigon River? I've googled and only found a couple of possible places.

There are no campgrounds on the river or the lake that I know of. There are a few places to pitch a tent along the way but it's crown land. There are ramps in between all the dams, I focused on Jessie lake portion of the river and did ok for the few days I was there.

Crown land would work for me as long as I can get the boat in the water. Been looking at a pile of google maps and other info and it sure looks like a tough lake to get onto. No matter which way we go about it it's going to be allot of driving around and looking.

We may head to the islands just to fish but I only have a 14 tin deep and wide with a 30 hp two stroke on it so we will see what the lake looks like first.

You better be very very careful. They don't call this the sixth great lake for nothing. She whips up quick and things can get real nasty (I know, I've been out there when it has)

Edited by BillM

We may head to the islands just to fish but I only have a 14 tin deep and wide with a 30 hp two stroke on it so we will see what the lake looks like first.

Wow. 14' on Nipigon. No offence but I wouldn't venture to far from shelter on that lake with a tinner. And without two engines. That lake eats boats lol.

Ya I'm real leary of big water. With the 30 on it I top out at 25 mph loaded with two guys. I'm planning on sticking close to shore either way. This is going to be more of an exploration trip in preparation for towing up my 20 foot whaler with all the down riggers and stuff for big lakers.

Be careful out there in a 14ft tinner. You don't want to end like your board name.