Garbage licence plates-NF

Weeds

When did Ontario licence plates become so crappy? I've had plates that held up fine for ages but notice that my wife's, which are only just over 2 years old, are missing several digits. I've seen a lot of vehicles driving around with similarly defective plates. Wondering if I'm on the hook for replacement costs and even a possible ticket if she drives it as it is. Not that we ever drive on it but I imagine it might make the 407 a free ride.

I believe the guarantee is 5 years then you pay! There were numerous news articles/reports not long ago about this situation and the present government says we pay to replace even though they make them!

Look into it you may be in for a replacement if they are only two years old.

I actually helped make license plates for about 20 years going back to '77. No, not there, but the place I worked at precoated galvanized coils and then slit them to license plate width, then about 2000 the business went elsewhere. The years I drove crane I would load them on trucks going to Millbrook Correctional, the drivers explained about the 2 gates system for inspections on entering and leaving, looking under the trailer with mirrors on selfie sticks, that sort of thing, they said it was a PIA going there. I don't know where the business went after we stopped doing it but that is when the decline started. We only did the white basecoat, Milbrook would press and stamp them and add the blue paint to the lettering. At first there was a few other colours, like yellow and maybe blue, old farts will remember when we got new plates every year, blue on white one year and then white on blue the next and not on your birthday :whistling:

Edited by dave524

I had to replace the plates on the Nissan. The paint was peeling off the metal in large sheets. Just came in under the warranty period. I can't remember how long. I would have been livid if I had to buy new plates. I give them a coat of wax annually.

Years ago I had plastic covers on my plates and was told by a Cop it was illegal and I took them off.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I had to replace the plates on the Nissan. The paint was peeling off the metal in large sheets. Just came in under the warranty period. I can't remember how long. I would have been livid if I had to buy new plates. I give them a coat of wax annually.Years ago I had plastic covers on my plates and was told by a Cop it was illegal and I took them off.

The warranty is five years!

Covers Apparently they are illegal the way I read it, if they are it tinted!!

mine started and I used polyurethane with a soft sponge to coat them. OR I take out my old ones, still legal and I paid for them!

Tell Winnie I can't used them!

The warranty is five years!

Covers Apparently they are illegal the way I read it, if they are it tinted!!

mine started and I used polyurethane with a soft sponge to coat them. OR I take out my old ones, still legal and I paid for them!

Tell Winnie I can't used them!

Yep, mine were tinted a light blue. I see many of these out on the road. I guess you can use old plates if you go to MOT and change the ownership to show the change. Then they charge you for a new piece of paper I bet.

My quote feature works again???

Yep, mine were tinted a light blue. I see many of these out on the road. I guess you can use old plates if you go to MOT and change the ownership to show the change. Then they charge you for a new piece of paper I bet.My quote feature works again???

OI, you are probably right on th paper crap! They wil get us eventually for anything they can.