Bay of Quinte Walleye

dave1965

As an avid Ontario Fisherman I'm almost ashamed to admit that I've never fished Quinte. So to tick this off my fishing bucket list, I booked our little 12th annual friendly fishing tourney at Merland Park cottages near Picton in the Bay of Quinte. We booked the June 8th weekend as opener and everything near opener was fully booked in the area. Now I'm by no means a rookie walleye fisherman, but I usually don't like fishing on larger bodies of water but we could use any friendly suggestions especially since this is my first time in the area.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Edited by DR. Dave

The key to success at Quinte in the spring is a couple of things to keep an eye out for...

Water temp- look for warmer water in the bays that have access to deep water nearby. Find the edge and run small cranks, at or just above the bottom, stirring up the bottom will get you fish.

As you will be in the Picton area, jigging at Thompson's Point could help and i would be more specifically looking in the Hay Bay area for warmer water and where it meets the main basin.

Another place to try would be Forresters Island. Fish the shelf that runs along the north side of the island. Worm harnesses if you have them.

HH

My pals would head there twice a year for the last 20 years, A week in May and Oct. They have been virtually skunked for the last 3 years and are not going back. They fished everywhere the last few years, from Picton to the Telegraph Narrows, Big Island and Hay Bay. Water levels were so low last Oct. they couldn't get the boat in the water other than Belleville. I hate to say it too but you are a few years too late. Big Island was our May opener spot for about 10 years in 80's into mid 90's. Limits everyday were common. Once we were full of Walleye we went for Pike and catch and released the Walleye for a few days. We would take our fish to the Picton Legion and give them away so we could catch fresher fish.

Thanks for the feedback and although it sucks that you're saying that the pick/ walleye fishing has gone down in Quinte but that ain't stopping us from trying. We'll try the usual using erie dearies, worm harnesses, jigging and crank baits ( my favourite for walleye are the perch imitations) and if the bite is bad, I guess I'll have to go for Pike.

At the end of the day, I'll have a blast with the boys and then I could finally proudly say that I fished Quinte and scratch that off my fishing bucket list!! Lol!!

I do sincerely appreciate the feedback on general locations as I've never been there before. I don't know how far a boat ride to Hay Bay from Picton on a 25 hp, but my friends say it was great there even though that was many years ago.

Thanks fellaz!

Bass are out of season June 8th. I agree though Bass beat Walleye any day for the fight. Seeing a big Smallie on the line jump like a Gymnast beats the tug, pump, tug of a Pic any day. More like pulling up a rubber boot. People might say they C@R Walleye, I'm not to sure about that unless the fridge is full. Most fish for them for the table, we do unless it's a little dink.

It seems Quinte has become a Trophy fish destination in Winter rather than the numbers you used to get in the Spring. They set the limit to 4 years over 25 years ago and now it appears that didn't help.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Bass are out of season June 8th. I agree though Bass beat Walleye any day for the fight. Seeing a big Smallie on the line jump like a Gymnast beats the tug, pump, tug of a Pic any day. More like pulling up a rubber boot. People might say they C@R Walleye, I'm not to sure about that unless the fridge is full. Most fish for them for the table, we do unless it's a little dink.

My go to set up when the Pics had lock jaw was bouncing a Lindy Rig set up with a floating jig head tipped with an artificial Leech. If you didn't have at least a 6 foot leader of "Zero" mono made in Japan for some crazy reason you wouldn't get fish while those with Zero, in the same boat would.

Whoops. Confused my June with July.

Honestly, bouncing a worm off the bottom of Quinte is the best way to spend a day for me. Never got a walleye larger then a sardine but we have caught Crappie, Bass, Drum, Eels, etc etc. I think our record was 12 different species in one day?

Please don't get me wrong. I LUUUV smallies. And I'll most definitely do my usual small/ largemouth fishing this year. But because walleye seem to be more elusive, it has triggered me to go for them. I've caught my lunker bass, musky , pike, trout and salmon. But the big pic has always eluded me and I'm almost obsessed to getting one. If Quinte doesn't work out great this year. I'll likely try some place a little north of Temagami. But that would be a post for next year! LOL!!

One thing to remember about Quinte is that it is big water and winds and waves can get stupid, real fast. Use caution and common sense when heading out.

Hay bay is a relatively short boat ride from Picton. Head north out of the harbour, past the cement plant, Hay Bay is on your right.

HH

My pals would head there twice a year for the last 20 years, A week in May and Oct. They have been virtually skunked for the last 3 years and are not going back. They fished everywhere the last few years, from Picton to the Telegraph Narrows, Big Island and Hay Bay. Water levels were so low last Oct. they couldn't get the boat in the water other than Belleville. I hate to say it too but you are a few years too late. Big Island was our May opener spot for about 10 years in 80's into mid 90's. Limits everyday were common. Once we were full of Walleye we went for Pike and catch and released the Walleye for a few days. We would take our fish to the Picton Legion and give them away so we could catch fresher fish.

Oh a certain lady has been hauling in 12-15lb walleyes outta hay bay quite regularly.

I have my best luck on worm harnesses. Slow trolled 1.2 - 1.5mph. I get them on cranks, and jigs too, but for whatever reason in the spring, they want the worms. That said, I have never fished out of picton, so maybe some other way is better. I know hay bay is great that time of year, and the mouth of the napanee river in deseronto is also good. Every year is different though, water temp is a key factor. If you post again before you go, I'm sure you would get some great, up to date, info.

S.