If you had $15k for a boat....

FishFinder17

I cruise with 3 adults and 3 kids in a 16 Lund with a 50. I'm not winning any races, but it works. My boat is primarily for fishing, and I fish anywhere from the Great Lakes to local reservoirs. I can't fish in any weather on the big lakes, but in my experience when it's too rough for my boat I don't enjoy the fishing as much these days. When I was younger the weather wouldn't stop me. As other guys said, your not comfortably fishing 4 from a 17 footer. I can troll and jig with 3. If we are casting, 2 is max. There is a Facebook site called walleye boats for sale. They have a ton of US listings, most around Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio. There are a few good deals even with conversion, but right now is the wrong time to buy. You should be able to get a decent aluminum for your budget. Stay away from tracker, and if your really into multi species a bass boat is probably not for you.

Thanks for the tips. I had never really considered US for buying a used boat - figured the exchange would eliminate any possible savings.

If I found the right deal in the US, is there a big process for bringing the boat over the border?

Thanks,

No worries. I think it's a waste to just run the maps, unless you're cruising and not fishing. By default any tablet will hook up to a signal though and give you splitscreen sonar + maps.

Where it really shines in my opinion, is when you take it to an uncharted lake. The unit will chart it for you, on the go. Super useful for back lakes. That's a feature you only get on $1000+ units.

Don't need to spend $1000+ in order to do maps on the fly.

The 5" version of my new finder will do it for $449US.

You can also get it with Canadian lake charts.

You don't have to worry about a tablet getting wet, dying etc. ;)

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-EchoMAP-53CV-CHIRP-Fishfinder-and-Chartplotter-with-LakeV%C3%BC-HD-Maps/product/172504/

Thanks for the tips. I had never really considered US for buying a used boat - figured the exchange would eliminate any possible savings.

If I found the right deal in the US, is there a big process for bringing the boat over the border?

Thanks,

You'd be better to talk to someone who has done it, or search threads on here. I keep my eye on that site in case something comes up that really turns my crank. Some of the prices are unrealistic with exchange, but a few of them come up pretty reasonably even with the exchange rate. I understand it's a pretty painless process to bring a boat across. Edited by porkpie

Thanks,

A lot more people here, and some get in a hurry to sell, job loss, divorce, etc.

All the best in your search. A few years ago I was looking for a good quality used boat as well. Figured it would be like finding a good used car. It wasn't. Tons of cars out there coming off lease etc...not so much in the boat world. I personally was hoping to get something just a few years old. That didn't work out so I ended up buying new. The fact that you are willing to go 10+ years old will help...should give you a lot more options than I was able to find. Make sure to let us know what you finally buy! Exciting times

All the best in your search. A few years ago I was looking for a good quality used boat as well. Figured it would be like finding a good used car. It wasn't. Tons of cars out there coming off lease etc...not so much in the boat world. I personally was hoping to get something just a few years old. That didn't work out so I ended up buying new. The fact that you are willing to go 10+ years old will help...should give you a lot more options than I was able to find. Make sure to let us know what you finally buy! Exciting times

This is what Ive noticed. There isnt much in the 7-8 year old range. And I find even the ones that are very close to a new boat price.

I have bough a few boats off of Kijiji in the past and the biggest thing I found was you have to be constantly checking to see what new listings have come up. I would say at least every hour. There are a lot of people looking for used boats at a decent price and they go fast. Sites that helped me find what I was looking for were:

Kijiji

Used Ottawa

Craigslist

Boattrader.ca

Boattrader.com

OFC Classifieds

Walleye Central classifieds

Last year I ended up finding a 2014 Lund 1675 Pro Guide for under half the price of a new one. The deals are out there, you just need to be diligent in searching for them.

I have read here that with the proper paper work getting a boat over the border is a breeze, with the right documentation.

We brought our Lund over from Michigan, I think we were in the customs office for maybe 10mins. Process was simple.

It's been touched on but I think you will need to sacrifice something on your want list for your budget. Although it was mentioned that people base their boat price off of what they paid, I am now beginning to see that is not the case. With the exchange rate inflating the prices of new boats (well, everything for that matter), people are now starting to realize that their used boats have gone up in value as well.

Contrary to what some here believe, Tracker isn't a terrible name. I'll agree that you would be better off in a Lund, Crestliner or Princecraft but a tracker setup properly will get you on the water no problems. I've had my 06 for 7 years now and it has served me well. It's in need of some TLC which I plan on taking care of soon but I can't complain at all.

You just need to make sure you address everything you need from a boat and decide if you can live with the repercussions of owning that particular boat. Example... a glass boat will give you a superior ride and as a bass boat, greater stability over aluminum...however, what is your tow vehicle? Are the ramps on the smaller lakes in good shape? Are you the drag the boat up on shore for lunch kind of guy? Are you willing to wipe down and polish your boat? If not, go get an aluminum. Do you like trolling? Don't get a bass boat. etc...etc.

I will also recommend looking at the US market. In fact, I cannot ever see myself buying a used boat in Canada. I see what some guys spend on a 16' tinner with a 50hp up here and and I'm shocked. To each their own but make sure after you've decided exactly what you want, go shopping in the US as a comparison and learn the steps to import a boat.

when you guys say check the US market. Where exactly are you checking?

Craigslist is great for boats.

Pick a state and have fun. :)

There are other local sites that are area specific I follow Alaska and a Florida based ones.

There are a bunch of fishing/boating for sale pages on Facebook too.

This is one I belong to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fishing4sale/

We brought our Lund over from Michigan, I think we were in the customs office for maybe 10mins. Process was simple.

To be honest I hadn't even considered buying a boat in the US until the many suggestions that I do so. I've bought and sold 5 or 6 boats but have never ventured into the US market for any of them. I live in Mississauga so I'm not too far from the border and could make the drive to either Michigan or NY. I'm still pretty surprised that there are good deals to be had given the exchange rate. I'll have to do some looking to see what's out there.

Thanks again for all of the comments and suggestions. Based on what's been said I know:

-My preference is to go aluminum since it's going to spend most of it's time on a smaller lake and will be towed with a Mazda CX-5 to the bigger lakes

-Better off in a Lund, Princecraft, or Crestliner vs Tracker (even though I just sold a 26 year old Tracker that treated me well lol)

-Could be better deals in the US

-It's still pretty early for GTA/Ontario listings but prices go up once the season starts

Anything else I should know? Anyone have opinions on brands like Polar Kraft, Alumacraft, or others?

Thanks again for all the comments, tips and suggestions - big help.

FF17

To be honest I hadn't even considered buying a boat in the US until the many suggestions that I do so. I've bought and sold 5 or 6 boats but have never ventured into the US market for any of them. I live in Mississauga so I'm not too far from the border and could make the drive to either Michigan or NY. I'm still pretty surprised that there are good deals to be had given the exchange rate. I'll have to do some looking to see what's out there.

Thanks again for all of the comments and suggestions. Based on what's been said I know:

-My preference is to go aluminum since it's going to spend most of it's time on a smaller lake and will be towed with a Mazda CX-5 to the bigger lakes

-Better off in a Lund, Princecraft, or Crestliner vs Tracker (even though I just sold a 26 year old Tracker that treated me well lol)

-Could be better deals in the US

-It's still pretty early for GTA/Ontario listings but prices go up once the season starts

Anything else I should know? Anyone have opinions on brands like Polar Kraft, Alumacraft, or others?

Thanks again for all the comments, tips and suggestions - big help.

FF17

Don't worry about the exchange rate...just research the boat you want, get an idea of the Canadian pricing, then shop it out in the US and see if you can save some bucks. I bought my Ranger in Pennsylvania 5 years ago and I promise I could sell it today for more money than I paid.

Don't worry about the exchange rate...just research the boat you want, get an idea of the Canadian pricing, then shop it out in the US and see if you can save some bucks. I bought my Ranger in Pennsylvania 5 years ago and I promise I could sell it today for more money than I paid.

Same here, we got our Lund for a steal. It was easily 8-10k more here.

when you guys say check the US market. Where exactly are you checking?

I've had Walleye Central Classified page bookmarked on my pc for about 10 years. Love seeing some of the older glass boats we never get up here like Warrior and my bucket list has a Ranger 619 or 620 on it one day.

It's been mentioned before but the value of used boats has risen significantly in the last 3-4 years. Partly due to exchange rate but also due to ever increasing $ of a brand new boat. I bought my crestliner 1 year old used in 2002 and the resale value on that boat today is around 2-3K less than I paid back then. My boat has basically depreciated about $200 a year - not bad!