If you had $15k for a boat....

FishFinder17

Would love to get the opinion of some of the members as I know there is a lot of boat knowledge around here.

This spring I am in the market for a new fishing boat and my budget is around $15,000. I'm looking for something 17ft or bigger with at least a 90hp outboard. Ideally it would be an aluminum walk through (Lund, Crestliner, Tracker, etc) but I'm also considering a bass boat. The boat would spend the majority of its time on a smaller lake but I would like it to be capable of handling lakes like Simcoe, Muskokas, Kawarthas, etc for day trips. I often fish with 3 others so I'm hoping I can find a boat that will accommodate that. Trolling motor and finders are a must so if I have to buy/upgrade I will factor that into the price. Hoping to find something 2004 or newer.

I'm wondering what you would buy if you were in my position? I'm going to be buying used so are there brands I should stay away from? or any I should look for? Would you recommend a bass boat or aluminum and why?

Any help would be appreciated. I know I may have to sacrifice some areas of my wish list given my budget but hoping not too much. It's a big purchase and I want to make sure I buy the right boat so it spends more time on the water than in the repair shop.

Thanks,

FF17

How soon do you need to "pull the trigger" on this purchase? Boats always go for top $ at the start of the season but a LOT less at the end as people don't want to pay for storage and so on like winter prep. maint. So with that said, 4 people in a boat you just ruled out most bass boats as all the ones I've been in (some were big too) are 3 seat's and not a ton of fishing/standing room for more than 2 people. Glass boats are heavy (towing) but a nice ride. Tin's are light but some are not so nice in waves/chop at speed. So, ask yourself what is it used for daily (when in use 90% of the time) vs the odd "let's go tube'n" type day. We all have a brand we like and don't so you are going to get mixed reviews there no doubt. Also hull design... Good luck and wait for what you want is the best answer I can say. Don't rush this purchase if you can wait to find YOUR ideal boat at YOUR budget.

The used market sucks right now. I've been looking with no luck. My first boat I went with a bass boat contrary to advise I got here. 7 years later I'm looking for my next boat and it will be a deep v walk through to take advantage of the Great Lakes close by. My advise is don't rush your decision, get the motor pressure tested, take it for a water test drive,leave room in the budget for tune up, bearing replacement for the trailer, extra hull plugs lol. USA seems the best place to buy right now just for variety reason. Good luck. Exciting times

At $15k the biggest you'll want to go is 17ft, yes.

You may need to sacrifice engine size. A 60hp can easily move a 17 footer, so consider that.

BUY USED. The US dollar is strong right now, so if you buy new it will be at a massive premium. People like to sell their boats based on what they paid (previously), so you can get some deals there. They forget to factor in the value of their boat now that the US dollar is so strong.

Another place you can save is by going with a tablet + navionics setup which will cost you around $400 for everything and give you all the features of a fancy unit, including bathymetric maps on the fly which only the Onix units can do (and I believe maybe 1-2 other units).

Another place you can save is by going with a tablet + navionics setup which will cost you around $400 for everything and give you all the features of a fancy unit, including bathymetric maps on the fly which only the Onix units can do (and I believe maybe 1-2 other units).

You can find a decent used graph for $400. I don't get all the hype behind the Tablet/Navionics. I'd hate to rely on that instead of seeing what's actually below me.

Id go aluminium all day. You say small lakes and the 2 bigger ones you listed are rocky. Aluminium doesn't take a structural beating from the sun. Rivets are easier to replace then stressed fibreglass. And I believe aluminium boats are lighter than fibreglass, I know smaller boats for sure.

So if your dealing with rocks,logs, shallow water, and want the boat forever Id buy aluminium. (sounds like it with the lakes you listed)

On the other hand fibreglass is quieter, and IMO handles rough water better, but I mean the great lakes.

You can find a decent used graph for $400. I don't get all the hype behind the Tablet/Navionics. I'd hate to rely on that instead of seeing what's actually below me.

Most people don't get the hype because they don't know what the unit does.

Of course you can see what's below you. The raymarine unit has CHIRP downvision, it's pretty sweet;

12.jpg

Edited by Sterling

My bad man, I thought you were referring the tablet/navionics setup some people use just for the lake maps (ie no sonar)

No worries. I think it's a waste to just run the maps, unless you're cruising and not fishing. By default any tablet will hook up to a signal though and give you splitscreen sonar + maps.

Where it really shines in my opinion, is when you take it to an uncharted lake. The unit will chart it for you, on the go. Super useful for back lakes. That's a feature you only get on $1000+ units.

I cruise with 3 adults and 3 kids in a 16 Lund with a 50. I'm not winning any races, but it works. My boat is primarily for fishing, and I fish anywhere from the Great Lakes to local reservoirs. I can't fish in any weather on the big lakes, but in my experience when it's too rough for my boat I don't enjoy the fishing as much these days. When I was younger the weather wouldn't stop me. As other guys said, your not comfortably fishing 4 from a 17 footer. I can troll and jig with 3. If we are casting, 2 is max. There is a Facebook site called walleye boats for sale. They have a ton of US listings, most around Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio. There are a few good deals even with conversion, but right now is the wrong time to buy. You should be able to get a decent aluminum for your budget. Stay away from tracker, and if your really into multi species a bass boat is probably not for you.

If you see a Tracker run away as fast as you can they are garbage cans.

Lund and StarCraft are my favorite boats. I would take a Crestliner but I am not a fan of welded hulls. Whatever you choose it all about the condition of the boat. For 15K you are looking at a 15 year old boat for what you want, maybe older. People with good boats generally keep them. I saw plenty of junk when I was looking.

A fun sight to watch is Walleye Central classifieds. get to see a lot of nice used boats on there and a fair bit in that aluminum 17ft range

If you will have 4 people I'd forget about a bass boat style. That layout is typically 2 seaters with front and back casting deck. Smaller boats in the 17ft range are very tight with 2 adults up on the deck

You will get more bang for your buck with a tiller model too.

very nice crestliner fishhawk 1750 w/90Hp on Walleye Central for $11.5K USD- It's a 2001 in Wisconsin and comes with all electronics, trolling motor and a 9.9 kicker. I know a few guys who have done this and it's pretty simple with crossing back over the border, Correct paper work, pay your taxes and it's done

Im in a similar position as you. Im looking for a smaller boat and less engine though. Im having a hard time finding much for less than 18k. It seems like a lot of people want what they paid for their boat or close to it. Used boats in the range im looking at are almost the price of new. Good luck, I havent had any yet, but it is really early.

Already saw this one. Super nice boat but don't think it suits my fishing needs.

Thanks

Im in a similar position as you. Im looking for a smaller boat and less engine though. Im having a hard time finding much for less than 18k. It seems like a lot of people want what they paid for their boat or close to it. Used boats in the range im looking at are almost the price of new. Good luck, I havent had any yet, but it is really early.

Ya I definitely still think it's early as most people still have their boat in storage.

For reference I bought a 1989 16ft tracker with the original 30hp johnson 4 years ago. It was on Kijiji for $5000 and I got it for $3500 because the guy had already bought a new boat and his payment was coming up. I did a bit of work to it over the years (new throttle, casting deck, electronics..maybe $1200 all in) and it served me really well for a 26 year old boat.

I sold the boat this fall for $6000 which is $2500 more than I paid for it and $1300 more than I had invested after 4 years of using it. My point is no one knows how much a used boat is worth - they just know how much they want for it/are willing to pay for it. Plus everyone has different circumstances that can cause them to change their price.

I'm just hoping I can find the right boat for the right price. From my experience a little hard work and hustle on Kijiji can pay off.

How soon do you need to "pull the trigger" on this purchase? Boats always go for top $ at the start of the season but a LOT less at the end as people don't want to pay for storage and so on like winter prep. maint. So with that said, 4 people in a boat you just ruled out most bass boats as all the ones I've been in (some were big too) are 3 seat's and not a ton of fishing/standing room for more than 2 people. Glass boats are heavy (towing) but a nice ride. Tin's are light but some are not so nice in waves/chop at speed. So, ask yourself what is it used for daily (when in use 90% of the time) vs the odd "let's go tube'n" type day. We all have a brand we like and don't so you are going to get mixed reviews there no doubt. Also hull design... Good luck and wait for what you want is the best answer I can say. Don't rush this purchase if you can wait to find YOUR ideal boat at YOUR budget.

Not in a rush at all. I'm actually in the process of selling one of my other boats that's ultimately going to pay for the new one.

Pretty sure I agree with you on the Bass Boat space limitations and my 1st pick would be aluminum but if the right bass boat came along, who knows...

Thanks very much for your help