Ice thickness with the warm spell

Acountdeleted

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/melting-concerns-man-breaks-through-ice-while-trying-to-rescue-dog-1.3298376

Getting nervous now. Might have to pull out my trump card and make sure B walks in front of me when I head out on the weekend.

If the ice is done in Huntsville, then Id say ice fishing season is over for southern GTA.

Today in Toronto is 21 degress outside (according to my car). With no minus degrees in the future, the ice cant recover.

Sucks about the stupid warm weather right now, as nice as it is to work in... but I do look forward to casting for pike and early season carping. If you head to to Nippissing, let me know. Depending on when you go and if you'd like some company, I'd be down.

Don't forget, hut operators are using machines to get customers out there. I see the machine weight being the issue. Some don't feel it,s worth having something go wrong.

Walkers IMO, will be fine. The only question I see is shore access.

We,ll be a pack of 5-6 walkers Saturday. Safety in numbers. Sunday looks like it will be a skating rink. Cold coming and lets hope no snow. Firm it up for another couple of weeks.

I am heading up to the Minden area for some ice fishing over the weekend. Not too sure what to expect at this point. Rain in the forecast all of tonight and tomorrow. Usually it's -40C when we go, so we chose a later date. Can't win! Not even sure we will get out onto the "ice".

I walked out from Lockhart today in Innisfil (north of IBP). There's still a good 6" of black ice in the perch grounds. I walked out about 300M from shore, didn't find anything less than 5". Shore will be the tough part - there is a ton of melt running toward the lake, putting the shoreline ice in harms way. There was 10" last weekend, but all of the white ice is gone.

If anyone is traveling from out of town to fish at IBP, I'd be happy to give you my 2016 Innisfil parking pass, which would get you free parking in the resident lot. My wife picked up our 2017 passes, but AFAIK you'd still be fine using the 2016 for now. PM me if anyone wants it - I live a few minutes north of IBP.

I walked out from Lockhart today in Innisfil (north of IBP). There's still a good 6" of black ice in the perch grounds. I walked out about 300M from shore, didn't find anything less than 5". Shore will be the tough part - there is a ton of melt running toward the lake, putting the shoreline ice in harms way. There was 10" last weekend, but all of the white ice is gone.

If anyone is traveling from out of town to fish at IBP, I'd be happy to give you my 2016 Innisfil parking pass, which would get you free parking in the resident lot. My wife picked up our 2017 passes, but AFAIK you'd still be fine using the 2016 for now. PM me if anyone wants it - I live a few minutes north of IBP.

Got my 2017, Im good to go. Great offer BTW

We lost an inch or so here, but still solid.

The shallow marsh that I was fishin earlier in the ice fishing season, which had like 8" of solid black ice when everywhere else was barely safe... is now half open water, and the remaining ice breaks if you throw a rock at it. Won't be long before the pike start spawning in that marsh.

I haven't checked my carping marsh yet, but it's even shallower... probably be ice free there fairly soon if not already.

But the upcoming couple of weeks is going to drop back down, especially north of the GTA. Ice should be nice and solid for a little while longer.

Edited by Locnar

Still weeks of hardwater left yet boys! Get er done! Beaverton got 8" of snow last night and the lake is dry and smooth. The ice hardly melted at all, just the snow on top. Plenty safe as long as you dont walk or drive into a hole or something really stupid.

S.v

Still weeks of hardwater left yet boys! Get er done! Beaverton got 8" of snow last night and the lake is dry and smooth. The ice hardly melted at all, just the snow on top. Plenty safe as long as you dont walk or drive into a hole or something really stupid.

S.v

Yup. Was on nothing less then 6" SOLID this weekend. This morning after the -7 over night temps, it was a nice walk. Look at the temps coming. STOKED.

S.v

Good to hear. I gave it a weekend off because I was mostly worried about shore access where I have been going on the west side. A buddy went Friday and said it was fine but I already made other weekend plans. I'm just glad it didn't all go. Last ice perch in March-April is hard to beat.

I took a ride to Port Dover and the crews are working on the tugs to get out on the lake. It looks like April out here. A few groups on the golf course outside Cayuga the other day, it was 16C. FEBRUARY!!! Cold today +4 (cold is relative), +13 this Wednesday. I do have empathy for you hard water guys. Just be careful please. I don't think anyone has any real experience with this thaw, freeze repeat at such high thaw temperatures. I wonder what the science tells us about how it would effect the ice? It isn't normal.

Be careful out there folks. I access the lake from Lockhart Road, and someone went through when walking yesterday. Ice is very weak near shore up here. I'm 160lb, and the ice was flexing under my feet on the way back in. 6" of good ice where I was fishing, but sketchy on the way out and sketchy on the way in. Don't assume anything right now, because there are huge differences between various access points around Simcoe.