NF - Bell vs Rogers

John Bacon

Has anybody recently switched between Bell and Rogers for TV/Internet/ telephone?

I am currently on Rogers, but Bell has offered an incentive to switch.

• Bell's internet is 25 mb/s vs. Rogers at 100. However, Bell claims that theirs is still better because Roger's is shared.
  • How do the TV selections compare? Is one better than the other? Or, is the programming pretty much the same? I am currently on Rogers VIP pkg which is no longer available. Bell's initial offer was for their 'Good' pkg. I didn't get pricing for their 'Better' or 'Best' pkgs.
  • In general, are there any perks that one offers over the other?

stick with rogers. i have had both,rogers customer service is way above bells. the selection is no different, TV is TV

with rogers,every single one of their call centers are located in Canada,where with bell,you're talking to India

in the 2 years i've been with rogers,i have never had to call in for a service issue,with bell, I was calling in frequently because of their modem not working, or they had to reset the service on their end, it was probably close to every 6 weeks,I had their number memorized.

tbh, just call up rogers, and tell them you are considering switching to bell, and they will more than likely offer you something,either a package,or a lower price

I'll never go with Bell ever again.

Rogers: Twice I racked up a massive phone bill. One was my fault, one was not. They removed both of the massive charges for free (saved me about $800 in total)

Bell: Years ago I got a rocket internet stick with them when I lived in Wheatley. I canceled it after my contract was up. Around Christmas (3 months after cancelling I noticed they were still charging me for it). I went in and told them, they said the phone number for the stick had been canceled but I was still being charged so they couldn't cancel the account. 2 hours later on the phone I finally find someone who knows what they are doing.

Them: Ok. Your rocket stick has been canceled. Thank you for choosing Bell.

Me: and you are going to re-emburse me for the past 3 months I paid for. Correct?

Them: Oh......... oh oh. Of course. One moment. (They weren't going to if I didn't press the issue).

Customer service goes a long way for me.

i had a similar issue with bell, i had payments set up to come out automatically, then one day my services are cut off, and i have a $900 bill.I kept asking why my automatic payments were stopped,kept getting the answer, don't worry about that. im like so someone is making changes to my account that affect my payments without my authorization, and you're telling me not to worry about that.goodbye bell.

I too have had bad experiences with bell in regards with the billing. They only offer you incentives to sign up and once the incentive program runs out they hit you with all these charges they neglect to tell you about in the beginning. They raised my rateswithout even notifying me. Even with phone/internet/tv package I still pay around the 250, which is more then I payed when I was with them when I had a satellite. Switch to fibe they told me will be cheaper, cheaper my but. And when you call customer service they give you the same song and dance over and over. In the process now ironing things out with cogeco to get a better monthly rate. Was speaking with someone at work last week about this and he says he just switches between companies when his incentives run out.

Sorry about the rant, just thinking about speaking to their customer service fires me up.

Edited by Musky Plug

We have switched back and forth several times over the years. And both companies are aware that when they don't give us a good deal we will simply go to the competition. The result is we have cable/phone/internet for way cheaper then we where paying 8-10 years ago with a far better package too.

I will have to respectfully disagree with Bells poorer service. That has not been our experience anyway. The last time we left Rogers was mostly because of the crappy service they provided us. Bell on the other hand has been rock solid once they knew they couldn't rape us with high prices anymore.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you switch back and forth a few times like we did I think they will lower there prices and up there games to keep you happy. That has been our experience anyway.

I have had poor service and unexpected price hikes from both Rogers and Bell. Currently with bell until today. I have a Wightmans Telecom crew installing fibre in my place today. We will see what they are all about, at least when I call customer service with them I'm just calling up the road to Clifford, ON and all the customer service reps are local, and I can understand them perfectly well. I have found that loyalty hasn't benefited me at all with these service providers. I was with Rogers for 20 years and paid my bill on time all the time. They still treated me like a new customer and they lost all my business over failing to match virgin mobile at the time to the tune of $5.

What gets me is ,I have both Rogers and Bell(hate having all my eggs in one basket).Bell internet ok,Rogers cells ok. When they offer free this and that and get in the mail. Problem you don't qualify,because we already have you. Only new customers. What a crock . I only have one customer in London where I cannot get a signal . The employees had to change to Bell,and I can't believe full strength.

What gets me is ,I have both Rogers and Bell(hate having all my eggs in one basket).Bell internet ok,Rogers cells ok. When they offer free this and that and get in the mail. Problem you don't qualify,because we already have you. Only new customers. What a crock . I only have one customer in London where I cannot get a signal . The employees had to change to Bell,and I can't believe full strength.

i will agree there, rogers cell phone service sucks.im with telus, they use bell networks,where i have a 4g signal, rogers customers have no service

aside from customer service (no comment on which is better) one big difference between rogers and bell is where your cell phone actually gets reception.

my bell phone gets reception in hospitals where my buddies who are with rogers do not (this is the case in four Hamilton hospitals). As well, my cell reception north of highway 17 is better with bell over my friends with rogers.

with that said, my cable and internet is with Rogers at home (work picks up my cell phone).

I like Rogers a lot, got my phone with them, the woman's phone, our house and the house I own with my brother, minimal outages and better value than what was offered by other services in the area.

Don't know if it's available in your area or still available for that matter but I'm on a package that has basic TV (including HD channels) plus 250Mb/s internet and it comes in at $100/month... No complaints from me

I use to live in Peel and had Rogers. Never really had any issues with them. then switched to cogeco when we moved to Halton and their service was ok but not as good as Rogers. Cogeco's customer service reps we not very professional in the way they would deal with issues and were always felt like they were in a rush to get you off the phone.

I am now with Bell due to my displeasure with Cogeco and so far its been good. I only switched because I use their cell services and they gave a super good deal on internet and tv. Time will tell.

As most of you know I work on the sales team for one. We MUST and ALWAYS have told customers what the regular rate is and what the promo rate is and when it ends. It's also printed on each and every bill so you know what's going to happen. When the CRTC makes changes the providers have to change also and this is where the rates change. The company I work for sends out 60 day and 30 notifications on the bills so you see it coming if there is a rate change.

TV, one is 1080p all others are 1080i (lower)

Internet, DSL so yes not a shared line vs broadband meaning shared connection

HP, copper line vs VOIP (internet based phone)

So the 2 companies is question here do NOT stack up the same when you look at from a "get what you pay for" with technology.

PS: I tell all people to review your services once a year to ensure you are getting the right package for your needs. Changing your stuff around with the provider to fit your needs is a free no admin fee of penalty with my employer even on a 2-year term for your in-home services.

So far Bell is the only available Sat TV service where I am, 19 years. Now Shaw says they can service me. I know once I call Bell to switch they will offer the world. Shaw has offered service before only to say "no signal". Now they say if I get Xplornet I can get TV. I have Xplornet. I'll let you know.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the feedback. I did the speed test on my internet, it indicated that I am getting in the 130 mbps range. Bell is offering 25. My son is a big gamer, so that would be a big hit. I will probably stay with Rogers for now. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities to switch to Bell in the future.

So far Bell is the only available Sat TV service where I am, 19 years. Now Shaw says they can service me. I know once I call Bell to switch they will offer the world. Shaw has offered service before only to say "no signal". Now they say if I get Xplornet I can get TV. I have Xplornet. I'll let you know.

I cannot understand how you could not get Shaw signal where you are. The dish points S-W which is over the lake so unless you have a tree directly between where your dish is and the satellite you should get a perfect signal. Maybe its just a matter of where your dish is located, the shaw dish would need to point about 20 degrees further West than your bell dish does I believe. Also, I would be wary of the x-plorenet deal, it really does not work very well from the people I know who have tried it.

I cannot understand how you could not get Shaw signal where you are. The dish points S-W which is over the lake so unless you have a tree directly between where your dish is and the satellite you should get a perfect signal. Maybe its just a matter of where your dish is located, the shaw dish would need to point about 20 degrees further West than your bell dish does I believe. Also, I would be wary of the x-plorenet deal, it really does not work very well from the people I know who have tried it.

He might be in an area with no Shaw installers is why. I have seen that for both Sat companies. However a person and buy the hardware and try for a self install and then have said companies service UNLESS there is a line of sight issue.

He might be in an area with no Shaw installers is why. I have seen that for both Sat companies. However a person and buy the hardware and try for a self install and then have said companies service UNLESS there is a line of sight issue.

Some places are like that but I know other people in the area that have Shaw with good service....they could have done a DIY install though but I don't think so.

Edited by G.mech