Lakes with Brook Trout for ice fishing? (or even lake trout)

Tjames09

Trying to get some trout ice fishing in before we lose the ice for the year. Other than Simcoe Lake Trout, what lakes contain either Brook or Lake Trout that offer ice fishing. I checked the MNR on line fishing, but sometimes those lists fish that arent actually in the lake.

Lake Bernard? I don't know about Brookies but we have caught Lakers in there. I don't know about outfitters there if you need one, I saw that the Caswell Hotel in Sundridge had a few huts out 5 years ago the last time I was up in the winter. I'm wondering how you would know if a lake the MNR lists a species of fish in doesn't actually hold those fish? That would be a pretty useless list.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

People aren't going to hand out good Brook trout lakes. Maybe someone nice will offer to take you out to show you the ropes. Ice will be around for at least 4-5 weeks in central ont. Also, the stocking lists for Brook trout lakes are generally very accurate. If you're fishing within 3 hrs of the GTA, you will be fishing stocked water for Brook trout so look for stocking lists, not just a mention of there being brookies in the lake.

I can give you a few well known Lake Trout Lakes.

Bernard, Lake of Bays, Rosseau, Boshkung, Mountain, 12 Mile, Halls, Gull, Maple, Paudash

You should be able to just search the net and get that info pretty easily though.

The MNR stocking lists are better sources of information for Brookies. Try some Splake lakes too. I've ice fished some Splake stocked lakes and caught them. Was never gangbusters, but they were in there.

Brook Trout, well, good luck with getting that info from someone. Especially on a forum. Those lakes would get smashed and devasted in no time flat.

I can give you a few well known Lake Trout Lakes.

Bernard, Lake of Bays, Rosseau, Boshkung, Mountain, 12 Mile, Halls, Gull, Maple, Paudash

You should be able to just search the net and get that info pretty easily though.

The MNR stocking lists are better sources of information for Brookies. Try some Splake lakes too. I've ice fished some Splake stocked lakes and caught them. Was never gangbusters, but they were in there.

Brook Trout, well, good luck with getting that info from someone. Especially on a forum. Those lakes would get smashed and devasted in no time flat.

Ya I figured as much. I dont want to drive 3-4 hours to a lake and have no luck. Doesnt seem like theres any info online either.

Thanks anyways

Ya I figured as much. I dont want to drive 3-4 hours to a lake and have no luck. Doesnt seem like theres any info online either.

Thanks anyways

Ha, that's part of the game with brookies, we just did a hellacious hike yesterday had to break trail in waist deep snow for 3 km for one fish. Wouldn't trade it for the world. The harder to get to the better the fishing generally , but when brookies have lockjaw there just plain not going to eat. Also allot of Brookie lakes are no live bait just as a heads up.

Thanks anyways

Fish Online has very easy to comprehend stocking lists??

If you're not willing to come up empty handed for a memorable backwoods adventure, then brookie fishing is definitely not for you.

Agree with everyone here. Find fish online. Find stocking lists. Pick a lake. Study said lake for years and years. Prepare to be skunked lots.

Heck, the last stocked brookie lake I went to ice fish, I drove 2 hours, hiked in another 4 and never even got to the lake. It's all a part of the process.

Edited by jeremy84

If you find one, be sure to let me know!

But yeah, agree with the other guys. MNR Fish online may be questionable for some of the species lists... but it is a useful tool for finding stocked lakes, and the recent stocking lists. I have a little lake that I am looking at, just hoping the weather co-operates and doesn't ruin my chances of getting onto it. And am quite prepared to get skunked.

I had found a nice splake lake up near a tiny town, in bum-fudge nowhere... Hornepayne. It took me 3 days to finally catch a single splake. Basically zero pressure, stocked every other year with 1-2 thousand splake... 3 days in a row. That one single splake was the best thing ever!

Agree with everyone here. Find fish online. Find stocking lists. Pick a lake. Study said lake for years and years. Prepare to be skunked lots.

Heck, the last stocked brookie lake I went to ice fish, I drove 2 hours, hiked in another 4 and never even got to the lake. It's all a part of the process.

Out of curiosity I went to fish online to check on my Brookie haunts when dad had the place in Haliburton, years ago. Seems that smallmouth bass got into a few either accidently or on purpose or even accidently on purpose and the brookies are expatriated, one of the best is no longer stocked as there is no longer access and some are now splake lakes instead of brookies. Another option , there are a few back lakes in Haliburton with some nice Rainbows stocked in them, don't know if they are open year round or how you go about locating the bows through the ice, they really weren't structure orientated even in summer.

Out of curiosity I went to fish online to check on my Brookie haunts when dad had the place in Haliburton, years ago. Seems that smallmouth bass got into a few either accidently or on purpose or even accidently on purpose and the brookies are expatriated, one of the best is no longer stocked as there is no longer access and some are now splake lakes instead of brookies. Another option , there are a few back lakes in Haliburton with some nice Rainbows stocked in them, don't know if they are open year round or how you go about locating the bows through the ice, they really weren't structure orientated even in summer.

The problem with fish online is I don't know how much I can trust except for the stocking lists. The depth contours seems legit though. So I guess these things are a starting point. Regardless, makes an easy way to kill an afternoon. Find a new lake, drive to it, fish it.