painting lures

kickingfrog

Glad Rick knew about nail polish as well!! LOL

Hahaha it's fun too! Might get a few odd looks but yeah, it's cheap, effective and easy to use.

My first go with an airbrush was a disaster. I gave up quickly lol

I also like the fact that when the lure gets beat up you already have everything to fix it!

Also I bought alot of glow in the dark paints in the craft section at Walmart. Super cheap. But about 50% of them won't coat properly but others worked awesome!

Edited by manitoubass2

While I haven't tried the airbrush option yet, I think that is where you will end up based on the last comment. I have tried powder coats with just about every other method, permanent markers (although I haven't tried nail polish yet?) and while they do an OK job, its really difficult ( impossible for me) to get the fine detail I want. I have caught fish on some, and many may say that the lures catch more fisherman that fish, but hey, if your gonna do it, I believe it oughta look like what I would be willin' to pay for. When I find an airbrush kit for the right price it's on the list.

Edited by spincast

Rob, it was posted on here a few years back, I've since lost the site. But I believe it's was a Finnish forum and had an INSANE thread on customizing and painting lures. I mean insane works of art. Like one guy was making lures that were wrapped with real fish skin

Anyhow, it had every tip method etc available. But the post is like 2000 pages long lol

Maybe someone here remembers it?

On second thought it might on an Ohio fishing forum???

I would probably give model paints a try, followed by a dip clear coat. Model paints should allow a good variety of colours and they will spray or brush without much trouble. A good dip of a clear coat meant for flooring use will help it hold over time.

Nail Polish works on a small scale. It's good to change or add a certain color but goes on too thick and you will never get the detail you want. Powder paints are no good for bodybaits either. Best by far is an airbrush and thin out acrylic paint or buy createx airbrush paint. Trouble is that it gets very expensive if you're only planning on doing a couple lures. A cheap airbrush and compressor will run you 120$ and around 6 bucks per color of paint you want. You will also need a good epoxy clearcoat and need to put them on a turner for best clearcoat results! So if your only looking to rent do afew lures it will cost 200 or more to get everything to do the job right! I started into the bodybaits myself last year but I already have all the equipment. I'm sure I can give you a hand if you need any help. IMG_20161116_191036.jpgIMG_20161117_055403.jpgreceived_10156970190400627.jpeg

If your on Facebook, there is a guy on 705 anglers goes by Kahshe Lake lure company. He sells custom painted hardbaits, and I'm willing to bet he would do repaints. He puts out some very nice work. Just a thought.

Thanks, I'm going to call him and see what can be done. At this point it doesn't make sense to invest in all the equipment needed to for just a sew lure.

Nail Polish works on a small scale. It's good to change or add a certain color but goes on too thick and you will never get the detail you want. Powder paints are no good for bodybaits either. Best by far is an airbrush and thin out acrylic paint or buy createx airbrush paint. Trouble is that it gets very expensive if you're only planning on doing a couple lures. A cheap airbrush and compressor will run you 120$ and around 6 bucks per color of paint you want. You will also need a good epoxy clearcoat and need to put them on a turner for best clearcoat results! So if your only looking to rent do afew lures it will cost 200 or more to get everything to do the job right! I started into the bodybaits myself last year but I already have all the equipment. I'm sure I can give you a hand if you need any help.

Thanks Meegs, and you're right, getting equipped to just paint a few lures doesn't make sense for me at this point. Those look great, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

Nail Polish works on a small scale. It's good to change or add a certain color but goes on too thick and you will never get the detail you want. Powder paints are no good for bodybaits either. Best by far is an airbrush and thin out acrylic paint or buy createx airbrush paint. Trouble is that it gets very expensive if you're only planning on doing a couple lures. A cheap airbrush and compressor will run you 120$ and around 6 bucks per color of paint you want. You will also need a good epoxy clearcoat and need to put them on a turner for best clearcoat results! So if your only looking to rent do afew lures it will cost 200 or more to get everything to do the job right! I started into the bodybaits myself last year but I already have all the equipment. I'm sure I can give you a hand if you need any help. IMG_20161116_191036.jpgIMG_20161117_055403.jpgreceived_10156970190400627.jpeg

we paint every day. theres different apps for different baits. plastic, metal or wood..just make sure when your painting the paints will play well. lacquer base paints will ruin enamels.

Fascinating thread-not my wheelhouse but -one of the reasons i love this place--learn lots

• 1 month later...

Well I dropped off some lures for Meegs to paint.

20170303_144202_zpsyqa3gzae.jpg

This started because my brother's favourite topwater lure on dark/cloudy days is a super spook in a firetiger pattern and they no longer make the bait in that colour. I picked up some bone coloured super spooks, then figured that I'd get some other lures painted. I went through some of my older pike lures and picked a few that I hardly ever use and figured if they were firetiger I'd might try them more.

And as I type this the Jays are on the tv. Come on opener!

20170324_123052_zpsbf8dpc0v.jpg

Thanks again Meegs!