Pilot, highlander or Santa Fe ?

rob v

Hello members. I've been away from the board for a while. Haven't had a lot to contribute but I certainly do enjoy/appreciate the comments, opinions and experiences of the members on this board.
I'm looking to replace my main transportation and I'm hoping to do it with a vehicle that could tow my boat someday if it gets too costly to keep my 10 year old f150 on the road.
My boat/motor/trailer (1750 crestliner fishhawk with 115 optimax) weighs about 2500 lbs. I'm considering the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot or Hyundai Santa Fe, probably late model used to avoid the depreciation hit.
If anyone has any experience with either of these vehicles and their towing capabilities that they'd like to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by Rob V

I've been driving a 2005 Pilot since 2008 and love it.

It will pull your boat easily.

I tow my 18' with 115 and also tow a camper with it.

Tomorrow I will be using it to pick up 4,000#'s of lumber with a 16' car hauler. :)

Subhunter_zpsf3b62e79.jpg

Had no issues at all towing my nearly 3,000# camper through the Northern Rockies to Alaska.

Russian_Camp.gif

My lumber hauling rig.

1915746_1363363677023301_385711051747728

It also tows my snowmobile trailer.

There are a couple of things to be aware of with them.

1/ change the tranny fluid every 90K

2/ change the rear diff fluid every 30K

3/ make sure to install the tranny and power steering coolers if your desired unit doesn't have the towing package.

The pilot has been around since 2003.

Highlanders have been around since 2001.

Not a big deal at all. ;)

Just saying the Pilot was reworked last year.

I think they've had some tranny troubles in the past.

You have had good luck with them. My neighbour spent $3k on a new tranny without towing.

I have a 2013 Santa Fe Sport bought new in March 2013. Have just under 70,000KM's on it. Love the ride love the roominess. Tows my 14footer no problem but it is much lighter then 2500LBs. I do have a utility trailer that I have loaded up real good a few times and it has handled it with ease. It gets under 8L/100KM hi way when your NOT towing. I'm real happy about that. It's costing me much less $$$ for fuel then I thought it would.

Only thing I don't like is the blindspots you have. Drove 3 VW Golfs before this car and blindspots where basically non existent. SUV are a different animal....but I can't compare to the other choices on your short list because I have never driven any of them.

Again very happy with this vehicle. Any other questions you may have just ask.

There are a couple of things to be aware of with them.

1/ change the tranny fluid every 90K

2/ change the rear diff fluid every 30K

3/ make sure to install the tranny and power steering coolers if your desired unit doesn't have the towing package.

maybe add service your timing belt to that list too

I rented a Sante Fe to tow the 19 foot boat on our spring trip when my GMC Sierra was on her last legs with 500K before I bought my Silverado in 2011 and I was very impressed. The only reason I didn't buy it was the price compared to the Chevy that year. It wasn't close, much more for the Hyundai. I was amazed at the stingy fuel consumption. Way less then the V8 Chevy but at the time I needed the box.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I absolutely love my Highlander. Tows up to 5,000 lbs without even knowing that it's there. Fuel economy is awesome, the seats are really nice on longer drives, it just eats up snow and there's really nothing I would change about it.

But all three are excellent vehicles. You need to drive all three and see which you like best, since there are subtle differences in the seats, rear visibility, and the placement/layout of climate controls etc. But you really can't go wrong with any of the three, and you'll be shocked at the difference from a 10 year-old F150.

I had the highlander and I loved it, if I was not building a new house up north no question I would have bought another one.

2 years ago I drove the truck to Arizona and onto Vegas and then through Colorado and then a second trip onto Florida and back, the truck is comfortable and considering the size and all very decent on gas also.

FLEX

Thanks very much for the info folks. And I'm guessing it'll likely come down to what Craig Ritchie mentioned - taking each of them for a good test drive and deciding which one I (or my wife) prefers. the Highlander however seems to be the proven commodity of the bunch.

The main thing I was looking for was how well they handle & perform while towing.

Pilot or Highlander, both very reliable,

Test drive both and go with whichever feels good for you,

If you buying used, never assume the last owner has done all the required maintenance prior to the sale, specially transmission service, timing belt etc, unless they kept paper records.

Negotiate the price to allow for a complete inspection by your choice of auto shop and all required maintenance,

Consider a transmission cooler if vehicle is not equipped with it as Drifter mentioned.

Edited by stonefish

I've got an '06 highlander and it's been a great vehicle. It tows my 16ft aluminium probably around 1700#'s loaded without issue. I got it used 4 years ago and put a lot of km's on it and only reg maintenance has been required aside from a wheel bearing. Decent fuel millage and kind of drives like a car which is nice as I do a lot of GTA and city driving for work without tow.

Drifter - how come you change the rear diff fluid so often? Also do you flush the tranny system completely when changing the fluid? Hoping to learn a few things here

Not to hijack a tread but any opinions on other vehicles in the same class (mazda cx9, sorento, outlander or pathfinder)

thanks in advance

A

j

Just picked up a 2017 sorento two weeks ago with a towing package and 5000lb. Capability

The ride is beautiful and I'm sure it will haul my 17.5 boat without even knowing its there

I've got an '06 highlander and it's been a great vehicle. It tows my 16ft aluminium probably around 1700#'s loaded without issue. I got it used 4 years ago and put a lot of km's on it and only reg maintenance has been required aside from a wheel bearing. Decent fuel millage and kind of drives like a car which is nice as I do a lot of GTA and city driving for work without tow.

Drifter - how come you change the rear diff fluid so often? Also do you flush the tranny system completely when changing the fluid? Hoping to learn a few things here

The rear diff is completely different than a regular ring and pinion diff.

It is electronically controlled by the vehicle's computers. When the computer senses slippage in the front wheels it will apply power to the rear.

The inside of the rear diff looks exactly like the clutches in an automatic transmission. As the clutches wear the oil becomes contaminated (just like in an automatic transmission). Because the diff holds significantly less fluid and does not have an external cooler the fluid ages more quickly.

If you leave it too long you can actually feel vibrations in the diff.

It is a pretty quick job to drain and fill with fresh fluid so it's not a huge deal at all.

It doesn't take any longer than doing an oil change.

Not to hijack a tread but any opinions on other vehicles in the same class (mazda cx9, sorento, outlander or pathfinder)

thanks in advance

A

I have heard that the Pathfinders have issues with the CVT transmissions. Not sure about the Cx9 since its totally redesigned nor the outlander. I would think that insurance and parts for the outlander may be higher since its not a popular car.

My first choice would be the Highlander, then the Sorento and then probably the Santa Fe.

Edited by huzzsaba