fly in walleye/pickerel lake

firebird

This summer I'm planning to do some fly in walleye fishing. I have my own float plane. IM looking for lakes from the White River- Timmins areas and lower with NO or LIMITED drive in access. I take my porta-boat and a tent. I need a safe spot to tie or beach the plane. Quebec side would be good too.

I know of several incredible lakes in the Thunder Bay district (no access unless you have a floatplane and no camps) You would limit out in 15 mins. But I don't live up there anymore and Its to far to fly for a weekend trip.

Can we be friends you have a float plane that's sweet. There's a ton of lakes like you are looking for up the 652 highway the access road to detour lake. Kesagami(sp) wilderness outfitters flys out of Cochrane to the area as for exact lakes and names I can't help much because most of them are numbers and unnamed.

I think I'd need a twin otter for everyone that wants to fly in fishing lol. I see there's a bunch of lakes north and east of abitibi park. I was looking back north of chapleau aswell.

I like to have a lake marked on the map that I know has a good beach to park. For a three day trip unfortunately it goes quick especially if you are crushing around lake to lake burning time and fuel trying to find a productive lake.

Good luck with the "beach" on Near North lakes. Buy yourself a grappling anchor or two and find a rock pile shoal as close to shore as you can to lock it in to, with a rope to shore to keep it from spinning in the night. Or carry LOTS of rope and tie off both wings to shore in an inlet. Letting one rope off allows you to pull it to shore with the other rope to load and go.

You don't need to bring everyone with you just me. I can fly, even take off. I never got the landing down pat before I packed in my lessons. Plus look at all the weight we will save since I don't really drink Beer.

Good luck and welcome to OFC. Please read the rules, I should have.

edit: I was going to suggest you talk to Irishfield, he's our resident test pilot.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Try calling the local MNR offices and talking to the biologists for recommendations.

The CLUAH project might offer you some information on the lakes around Wawa as well. Most relevant is the discussion on Remote Tourism Lakes and Opportunity Lakes.

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=Mjg2MDE=&statusId=Mjg2MDE=

https://www.sse.gov.on.ca/sites/MNR-PublicDocs/EN/Policy/CLUAH_Management_Guidelines.pdf

http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/files/er/Phase3FinalMapEnglishOptionA.pdf

It's sure a problem I wish I had, lol!

You don't need to bring everyone with you just me. I can fly, even take off. I never got the landing down pat before I packed in my lessons. Plus look at all the weight we will save since I don't really drink Beer.

Good luck and welcome to OFC. Please read the rules, I should have.

edit: I was going to suggest you talk to Irishfield, he's our resident test pilot.

Landing is easy, everyone that flies can do it, some just manage to do it so you can take off again :whistling:

Look at Fly-In outfitters like http://www.airivanhoe.com/fly-in-fishing-hosts.php just to name one and filter through their lakes they cater to. This will get you a good start. George has over 20 different lakes to choose from depending on what kind of fish you desire. Give George a call, you should be able to rent one of his cabins and use your own plane to get there, thus saving you a ton of money.

Edited by Mister G

Good luck with the "beach" on Near North lakes. Buy yourself a grappling anchor or two and find a rock pile shoal as close to shore as you can to lock it in to, with a rope to shore to keep it from spinning in the night. Or carry LOTS of rope and tie off both wings to shore in an inlet. Letting one rope off allows you to pull it to shore with the other rope to load and go.

Ya I have anchored before, not my favourite way to leave the plane. Also used a few leaners hanging out in the water to tie up. Flew for some guys in Red lake and T Bay.

I just don't know the land Wawa and South much. Google earth has been my friend too for finding beaches. Im searching around Chapleau right now, got in contact with MNR and tourism there.

I won't be using an outfitter or cabin. Tents fine for me.

Thanks for the tips guys!

The Ontario topo map website usually has more detailed aerial photo's than Google. To view them, go under "Map Layers", "Select Map Layers", "Ontario's Topographic Data and Imagery" and you can unselect the Topographic Data otherwise you need to zoom down to the 40m scale to view the Ontario Imagery data if you leave it selected.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/topographic-maps

Also, always check Bing as well because they use different map data and often they have aerial photos not found on Google maps. I find their GPS coordinates seem to be more accurate as well.

https://www.bing.com/maps/

• 2 months later...

I flew up to wawa last weekend and most of the ice was gone only left in the centre on the bigger lakes. Just visited with some friends. I won't be back up fishing until June but I've got a few lakes around Chapleau circled on my map!