Pike Lures

mike rousseau

You know what John Bacon, I need to go look. I bought a big box of old and some antique lures for 40 bucks from a flea market/liquidator guy that closed down in Jarvis a few years back. I know there are originals of all 3 in there I need to go look. Buried in my tackle shed.

And you spelled Daredevle right I think.

I kinda do what Craig and msp say above. If it's early spring and fish are shallow -jerkbaits and lighter jig's are best. If they are a bit deeper - jerkbaits or swimbaits or jigs. When they are transitioning to summer - big swimbaits are my favourite. Regarding jigs, I like primarily 6-8" jig n grubs, larger tubes, or flipping jigs with plastic such as a swimbait. Regarding swimbaits, I've been rigging them on jigs as light as 1/4oz but I find 3/8 to 1/2 is what I use most spring depending on the swimbait and depth you're targeting or how fast the fish want it. Larger swimbaits are heavier and have the rig built in. I love spring pike, it's generally the christening of the boating soft water season for me.

I like them on all patterns - early, mid and late spring - each are fun in their own way. Early you can sight fish and play on the fishes reactions more. Mid spring can be crazy numbers targeting ravenous post spawn weed edge fish. Late spring is fun tossing big swimbaits in deeper transition areas covering water for a big cruisers outside spawning areas.

I don't throw a lot of spoons or spinners, they do work, but I have more success on other baits on the southern ON waters I fish.

The best all round bait IMO is a jerkbait such as the husky jerk. Jerkbaits usually take the most fish every spring and every size fish will eat one from 25" to 40+.

I'd be interested in seeing how you're rigging up flipping jigs for pike.

X-Raps/Husky Jerks are a go to for me, throwing trolling spoons is another favourite as they have a ton of movement while being retrieved slowly and they stay up in the water column. They can be a little difficult to cast but if you have a good little wrist snap on the cast you can get it to cut through the air very effectively. A sleeper lure for me is a River2Sea S-Waver (110 size), rather than a straight retrieve I sweep my rod to the side and reel up the slack. I hammered pike two springs ago on that lure.

I'd be interested in seeing how you're rigging up flipping jigs for pike.

Just reread my post and judging by my enthusiasm I need to go fishing lol.

I rig the flipping jig generally just with a swimbait. I don't have a pic unfortunately but look up the ERC jib a beast lure, same concept. I don't use it often but it can be good bait when you need a bit faster presentation or something different. I throw more standard jigs with big grubs or tubes with really light heads so you can swim and hop them slowly.

Just found this pic of a few lures I had on deck. You'll see 3 x F-18 floating rapala's in this pic, this old school bait has been getting a lot of water time last few years. I fish it like a jerkbait, it gets down to around 5-6ft and has a bit bigger profile at 7" then other jerkbaits. I've been waiting for that 8" huskyjerk or rogue forever and doesn't look like they are making it lol. The grubs in the pic are 8" on a 1/4oz head. Sometimes on pressured fish the black grub can't be beat.

48e393b5-405d-423b-8177-439c432e59cc_zps

Can't wait to launch the boat and go looking for some 40"ers! Fingers crossed for a late spring.

Edited by JoshS

All good choices above. To me, water temperature is most important for spring pike. Look for temp differences between bays and main lake/channel areas. Run smallish cranks right along the edge of the temp gradients and if the bottom allows, dredge it up with your bait.

If trolling these areas, keep your speed at just enough to get your lure to dive and stay near or at the bottom.

Lure suggestion; small hot n tots in Jimi Hendrix

HH

Just reread my post and judging by my enthusiasm I need to go fishing lol.

I rig the flipping jig generally just with a swimbait. I don't have a pic unfortunately but look up the ERC jib a beast lure, same concept. I don't use it often but it can be good bait when you need a bit faster presentation or something different. I throw more standard jigs with big grubs or tubes with really light heads so you can swim and hop them slowly.

Just found this pic of a few lures I had on deck. You'll see 3 x F-18 floating rapala's in this pic, this old school bait has been getting a lot of water time last few years. I fish it like a jerkbait, it gets down to around 5-6ft and has a bit bigger profile at 7" then other jerkbaits. I've been waiting for that 8" huskyjerk or rogue forever and doesn't look like they are making it lol. The grubs in the pic are 8" on a 1/4oz head. Sometimes on pressured fish the black grub can't be beat.

48e393b5-405d-423b-8177-439c432e59cc_zps

Can't wait to launch the boat and go looking for some 40"ers! Fingers crossed for a late spring.

I see. I am familiar with those jigs. Thanks.

Was thinking you were rigging something more like this:

DM-Super-Flippin-rigged-03.jpg