The NEW FLY FISHER. "Giant Nipigon Pike." ep1.

Moosebunk

This past summer I had one new and cool opportunity to guide "The New Fly Fisher" T.V. show through Onaman River Resort on Lake Nipigon. Over five days, camped out on a quiet and remote island, we managed to film two full episodes in the one trip. Catching brook trout had been the main goal, but the pike fishing was so incredible as well that host Bill just couldn't help himself. A short write-up of how it came to be, which includes the link to the full first T.V. episode on the pike fishing is posted up...

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/the-new-fly-fisher-t-v-giant-nipigon-pike-ep1/

Shouldn't be too long and the brook trout episode will come along too.

Bunk.

Edited by Moosebunk

I really appreciate how The New Fly Fisher showcases any and all species on their show. So many fly fishing shows end up being just about trout, salmon, or steelhead. That's fine, but around here you would be shortchanging yourself if you didn't also go for the warmwater species.

Got me contemplating the drive to.

Yep, real nice to watch the live action video for sure. I'm sure the Speck episode will be as nice.

But you know what? I just went back and reread A Solo Roady North III, and let me tell you, that was actually more enjoyable and satisfying to me than the video where they have 23 minutes to fit everything in. Getting the whole story behind it all along with all the great photos I thinks brings all of us in closer to the experience than the video, nice as it was. Just imagine being able to sight fish for for big Pike like that. Wow

Btw Bunk, is Rob up to another "vacation". 14 years? Must have been real good for him to leave everything behind for a few days and relax. Dog looked pretty laid back too lol.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

I hope he thanked you for putting him on these amazing fish.

Bill is a great fella, Max too. I think we were all thankful for the fishing and opportunity.

Yep, real nice to watch the live action video for sure. I'm sure the Speck episode will be as nice.

But you know what? I just went back and reread A Solo Roady North III, and let me tell you, that was actually more enjoyable and satisfying to me than the video where they have 23 minutes to fit everything in. Getting the whole story behind it all along with all the great photos I thinks brings all of us in closer to the experience than the video, nice as it was. Just imagine being able to sight fish for for big Pike like that. Wow

Btw Bunk, is Rob up to another "vacation". 14 years? Must have been real good for him to leave everything behind for a few days and relax. Dog looked pretty laid back too lol.

Cheers

You know Smitty, Rob's already planned to camp out back at the same spot this season. To take a little break with some other friends, guide and fish for himself too. Can you imagine 10 cabins, 1000+ guests a season, 50-60 days guiding. He's up at 6:00am everyday, has supper around 10:30-11:00pm after closing the door to the office, unwinds an hour, sleeps and repeats... For six months straight. The dog stays pretty busy too... black bears to chase off and in the winter, Loki's gotta keep his wits about him cause the wolf pack loves sending one of the cute females up the driveway to tempt him out and into an ambush.

The speck episode is good too. I'm biased tho. ;) Like the pike a little more probably but you've read the report so you know how the speck show will end. A month later Rob returned to where we had caught all the pike. He had been telling some anglers about it and they begged him to guide them out there. All the fish were gone! They saw and caught nothing. Spring is for sight fishing, you know this too and, as written in the most recent "article" like post just put up at the site. Could go back next year and winds, weather, lake levels and such, change the playing field again.

Thanks for the great reply too bud. Nice to know you're still reading and enjoying the reports. Solo Roady III along with the Nunavut Nomad were two enjoyable reports to put together this year.

I really appreciate how The New Fly Fisher showcases any and all species on their show. So many fly fishing shows end up being just about trout, salmon, or steelhead. That's fine, but around here you would be shortchanging yourself if you didn't also go for the warmwater species.

Was trying to convince Bill to consider another show. More big toothy warmwater critters.

A PM might follow up.

Check the inbox!

Thanks gang.