Sport License for Muskie fishing?

Tjames09

If you're targeting bass out of season you can be charged with that even if you release them in the water and I wouldn't want to be the guy throwing musky baits with a conservation licence if your going to fish for them buy the sport licence or should we just forget about all the rules lol.

Tight Lines SBK :dunno:

We're not forgetting about the rules. We just understand the rules well enough to know that it is completely legal to fish for muskie with a conservation license as long as any that are caught are released immediately.

Who's keeping a Musky? Mmmmmm, Musky.

If you have the catch limit of any species of fish, and they are all dead can I keep fishing for that species? I say no. If 1 is alive I can cull it.

Does no one read the regulations, page 7 2016 regs it says "If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water (see Ontario’s Catch and Retain Rules, page 9). If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish. For some species there are no limits and no reference will be made to a limit in this summary (see Size Limits, page 8).

Who's keeping a Musky? Mmmmmm, Musky.

If you have the catch limit of any species of fish, and they are all dead can I keep fishing for that species? I say no. If 1 is alive I can cull it.

There is a specific section in orange on the top of page 9 of the regs that spells out the requirements for culling certain species; musky is not one of them. Yes you can keep fishing C&R even if you have your limit of dead fish.

Edited by G.mech

There is a specific section in orange on the top of page 9 of the regs that spells out the requirements for culling certain species; musky is not one of them. Yes you can keep fishing C&R even if you have your limit of dead fish.

theres only 1 species of fish that i know of where you have to stop fishing after catching 1, and thats aurora trout on designated lakes. another is atlantic salmon in gaspe bay,catch 2 per day,keep or release, and you're done

theres only 1 species of fish that i know of where you have to stop fishing after catching 1, and thats aurora trout on designated lakes. another is atlantic salmon in gaspe bay,catch 2 per day,keep or release, and you're done

What FMZ is that in? Just want to check it out for reference as it is very unusual. The only thing I can see is in Zones 11 &12 exceptions where is says:

Aurora Trout open from Aug. 1 - Oct. 15, 2017, S - 1 and C - 0; fish sanctuary remainder of the year in 2017

There is no mention of stopping fishing after reaching your daily limit of 1 (or 0) that I can find.

Edited by G.mech

Your right, I'm wrong, nope I'm right you're wrong, no we're right they are all wrong.

If we memorized the entire Ontario fishing regulations what would we argue about? Politics? I have read the regs. now I guess I better memorize them, when I get a life.

Or how about not giving an opinion on a legality question when you haven't at least confirmed your viewpoint.

Sometimes saying nothing is a smarter move.

I actually asked a retired game warden that I know about this. He said you can still fish for them and basically a warden would have to be a big jerk to ticket you if you're releasing them. Maybe just pay the extra $10 and not worry about it.

Why would you be ticketed anyway for doing something perfectly legal? You ARE allow to fish C&R for species with a zero limit....The musky limits are S-1 & C-0 in most areas so you're not doing anything wrong in the first place...

Edited by G.mech

Why would you be ticketed anyway for doing something perfectly legal? You ARE allow to fish C&R for species with a zero limit....The musky limits are S-1 & C-0 in most areas so you're not doing anything wrong in the first place...

An individual's own interpretation of the rules? Even wardens can make a mistake and/or be looking for reasons to give out tickets.

An individual's own interpretation of the rules? Even wardens can make a mistake and/or be looking for reasons to give out tickets.

These are not "rules" but rather laws that should be easily understood by those who must follow them and those who must enforce them. It just goes to show you how messed up big government is.

I don't think it's open to interpretation or messed up and the rule in question was already quoted above by gaspumper.....it's on the top right hand corner of Page 7 of the Regs:

If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish.

I don't know how it could be much clearer. The musky limits generally are S-1 C-0 so you may catch and retain 1 fish with a sports licence and you may catch but not retain any if you have a C. Anyway, if you're really that concerned about this, just buy the sportfishing license and be done with it.

Edited by G.mech

What FMZ is that in? Just want to check it out for reference as it is very unusual. The only thing I can see is in Zones 11 &12 exceptions where is says:

Aurora Trout open from Aug. 1 - Oct. 15, 2017, S - 1 and C - 0; fish sanctuary remainder of the year in 2017

There is no mention of stopping fishing after reaching your daily limit of 1 (or 0) that I can find.

zone 10 is this year as well, no live bait, and no motors on these lakes either.

http://www.brooktrout.ca/open-lakes-for-aurora-trout.htm

and an older thread on the topic of auroras

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25312

Edited by FloatnFly

zone 10 is this year as well, no live bait, and no motors on these lakes either.

http://www.brooktrout.ca/open-lakes-for-aurora-trout.htm

and an older thread on the topic of auroras

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25312

Thanks for that, very interesting. I see that C&R rule is not based on the Ontrario fishing regs but on the Endanged Species Act which is why it's a little different. I couldn't figure out why Aurora Trout never showed up anywhere in the zone 10 regs but reading the article it is now clear.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I see that C&R rule is not based on the Ontrario fishing regs but on the Endanged Species Act which is why it's a little different. I couldn't figure out why Aurora Trout never showed up anywhere in the zone 10 regs but reading the article it is now clear.

welcome. they are very interesting species and i would love to catch one, one day. my boss has a cottage near one of the lakes......maybe he'll invite me up :D

These are not "rules" but rather laws that should be easily understood by those who must follow them and those who must enforce them. It just goes to show you how messed up big government is.

Hey I'm not disagreeing here at all. I just don't expect every single officer/warden to know everything. Human error is always a possibility. While a wrongful ticket would get thrown out, it's still a big inconvenience. I'd rather not risk anything and I always buy the sports fishing licence anyway.

I've heard of guys having their hunting rifles confiscated by young cops because they had them unloaded and in plain view on their seat, which is perfectly legal. They got them back without any fines but they still had to drive to the cop shop and get it sorted out.

There are tons of people bad at their jobs. I'm sure law enforcement is no different.

We had a CO out at a Hamilton Chapter meeting for Muskies Canada last year and this was the first question he was hit with after his presentation.

His reply was you can fish Muskie with a conservation license, you just can not keep one like the law states.

As for doing a picture, technically no, but he said all the CO's he knows would not ticket you if you are handling the fish properly with respect and get it released fast. in other words remove the hooks in the net, up and out for the pic then back in the water to swim away to catch another day in a minute or 2 at the most.

If you are a tool, bring the fish in the boat, leaving it on the floor celebrating and such and taking your time, taking 20 hero shots, endangering the fish, then ya you will get a ticket.