Trip # 4 and a new PB

Big Cliff

Found out Monday evening I didn't have to work yesterday, a quick call to my buddy JIm (he'll go fishing anytime he doesn't have to work) yup good to go; a quick call to Tim Hales, they are really busy but they will fit us in. We're going fishing!

Now with the recent drop in temperatures and a storm front moving in I wasn't expecting to see record numbers like we have in the past three trips, I find perch react very similar to walleye when it comes to changes in the weather. Didn't matter, any day fishing is better than a day working.

My last trip out I found I was missing a lot of fish, I'd get a hook set and have the fish on for a few seconds only to have it get off, I couldn't understand why, my hooks were brand new #6 snelled hooks, same as I had used on previous trips (I thought). Oh wait, I'd just bought these hooks this winter these were a brand I had never used before. On closer inspection I noticed that the very tip of the hook actually curved in back toward the shank. Instead of pressure embedding the hook deeper, it would actually pull the hook out.

Needless to say I wasn't going to continue fishing with these hooks like that, I tried bending the tip of the barb but it just broke off. A quick check of my tackle box, I found a package of #4 Mustad hooks. A few minutes work to turn them into snelled hooks and outfit my rods and I was good to go,

Slow start, we were catching a few, a couple of 11-12" thrown into the mix but it was sporadic, there didn't seem to be any real runs,at least I wasn't loosing any fish like the last trip (what a difference a hook makes)!

Then it happened, tap, tap, hook set and HOLY COW line started to peal out (I'm only using 4# test mono so my drag is set a little light) Jim realizes this isn't a perch and quickly pulls his line out of the water. The fight is on, we are both speculating, is it a white fish, is it a trout, whatever it is I sure don't want to loose it. three minutes, five minutes we still haven't been able to see it yet. My heart is pounding, I gain a bit of line then it runs again.

Slowly I start gaining ground on it, then we can see a shadow, it's still a long way down but it looks huge, we still can't tell what it is. Suddenly it just gives up, here it comes! It's a huge ling, I get it up to the hole, Jim goes to net it and it makes another run but it's a short one, on the second trip to the hole Jim manages to get it into the net. We didn't have a scale to weigh it but it measured 33.5" and we both figure it's somewhere in the 6-7lb range.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful, around noon Tim came along to check on us and asked if we wanted to move to some new huts they had just relocated, we decided to give it a try. It didn't make much difference, the bite was still slow but we were catching a few larger fish.

We didn't keep count today, an estimate would be somewhere around 60 or so perch, we only kept 10 between us. A check with the rest of the guys yielded similar results, it was a pretty slow day by comparison to previous trips but still a wonderful day.

I did ask Chris (one of Tim's guys) about huts out on the trout/white fish grounds; he told me that it wouldn't be for a few more weeks yet as they didn't think there was enough safe ice yet to get out there. Safety before money is cool with me!

Anyway, another stellar day with a good friend and a new PB (Thanks to Jim and his handy work with the net, I couldn't have done it without him).

Sounds like a good day to me.

The first ling I caught, I jumped back from the hole; didn't know what that ugly thing was. LOL

I'm hoping to get up there next week, during the week.

I'll PM you the day(s) and time; if I can sneak out of the shop for a few days.

It's a 6 man hut, so if you wanted to invite your friend Jim; I'd be good with that?

I still need to call Tim and ask if (for a fee) I can use his access point & trail out to the perch grounds.

Dan

Edited by DanD

Sounds like a good day to me.

The first ling I caught, I jumped back from the hole; didn't know what that ugly thing was. LOL

I'm hoping to get up there next week, during the week.

I'll PM you the day(s) and time; if I can sneak out of the shop for a few days.

It's a 6 man hut, so if you wanted to invite your friend Jim; I'd be good with that?

I still need to call Tim and ask if (for a fee) I can use his access point & trail out to the perch grounds.

Dan

There is tons of parking in beaverton. No need to pay, or use Tims trail. There are a couple of well marked trails out to the perch grounds. I will be out there saturday for sure with Lori on sleds. I was kinda hoping I could get out to whitie waters, but its not really looking good. I may go poking around though.

Cliff has my contact. If your out there saturday, get in touch and we can compare results. I know you are mobile, so if we are on them I can send a way point to ya.

IF you need any info on parking, or anything else, PM me. I'd love to check out your rig!

S.

60 Perch is a slow day? Wow....Kind of wish my trip out with him had 60 fish (or half that, or even a third that). Feel like my trip with Tim was almost a different body of water.

could gear any technique be the culprit here? took me many years to figure out how to ice fish.

Very cool. I have only ever caught one ling out of simcoe. They always seem to be big. 33" is a tank! Must have been a rush. There have been quite a few whities coming out of his huts as well.

Jim was actually laughing at me, after we got it on the ice I was so excited I was shaking like a guy that had just shot his first deer lol.

Cliff is having a poor man's lobster for dinner! Good catch. I've only caught one and DanD is right outright ugly, but the CO wanted to take it with him :)

I am amazed at how much the meat does resemble lobster tails! I did find a recipe that calls for it to be fried in garlic butter. Might give that a try tomorrow night.

60 Perch is a slow day? Wow....Kind of wish my trip out with him had 60 fish (or half that, or even a third that). Feel like my trip with Tim was almost a different body of water.

When did you go out with him? I know lots of guys use jigs and things but I have always done really well with a simple dropshot rig. Sinker on the bottom, two hooks, with the hook a hook about 6" off the bottom, the second hook about 18" off the bottom. Hook your minnows by the head or tail (just depends what is working that day). Only use light line, 4 to 6# test max. Anything heavier and you won't have enough sensitivity to see a bite. I usually use a #6 hook but a #4 works just fine too. Everyone has their preference in types of lines but I just use mono, works for me. If you ever wanted to to drop by, bring your rod with you and I will set it all up. 60 fish with Tim is a very slow day! Edited by Big Cliff

You are off to a great fishing year Old Timer. A 1 fish day is well worth it if it's a first or personal best. I don't get the part about not having to go into work. You slacking off? Come on Cliff we need a few more AARP members.

We do like pics. If only I can figure out how to post them from my Photobucket to here. I've tried believe me. I know you have too. We both attended the same computer classes. I actually did in 1975, look at me now.

I have only seen 1 Ling pulled through a hole. I jumped back and nearly fell out of my seat too. I had for a second thought it was the baby Alien coming out of the guys gut in the movie. I've said it before here that years ago a Nipissing local told me if you buy Scallops in a North Bay restaurant it's most likely Ling. They only use the loin. I hope they taste better than they look. I love Lobster, who in their right mind think about eating one of those ugly things? History tells us they were treated as garbage fish and were given to prisoners in New England. The more the prisoners complained the more they were given.

Let us know how it tastes. And a big way to go again Sir Perch Master.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

in Flin Flon where I was born there is an annual burbot derby where all fish are culled and donated to a large fish fry put on by a local sponsor...all you can eat ling for free...apparently its pretty damn good, according to what my bro's and dad say. I was too young to remember.

Cliff are you sure those beaked hooks aren't small Circle hooks? If you try and set the hook the hook just comes right out. Hard to get used to NOT setting a hook after all these years.

No, they were a snelled bait holder style hook with barbs on the shank. I wish I'd kept the package but it and those hooks are long gone.

I have to wonder if it was you, and not the spot or the fish. What were you using? What lb line? What size hooks? What kind of jigs?

A lot of people thing they are just silly perch, they can't be hard to catch, but i will tell you straight up, big perch are one of the smartest fish there is. If you don't pay attention to the smallest details, you won't catch them. If you spent all day out in one of Tims huts and didn't catch 20 perch, dinks or not, you were certainly doing something wrong.

I run nothing but 2lb test mono for pannies. If I'm using minnows, I'm using a #10 or 12 trout hook. If you don't think it matters, come fish beside me and see how it works out for ya.

Lets us know what you were doing, and maybe we can help make your next trip much better.

S.

I have to wonder if it was you, and not the spot or the fish. What were you using? What lb line? What size hooks? What kind of jigs?

A lot of people thing they are just silly perch, they can't be hard to catch, but i will tell you straight up, big perch are one of the smartest fish there is. If you don't pay attention to the smallest details, you won't catch them. If you spent all day out in one of Tims huts and didn't catch 20 perch, dinks or not, you were certainly doing something wrong.

I run nothing but 2lb test mono for pannies. If I'm using minnows, I'm using a #10 or 12 trout hook. If you don't think it matters, come fish beside me and see how it works out for ya.

Lets us know what you were doing, and maybe we can help make your next trip much better.

S.

I must agree 100%

The larger the perch the lighter the bite.

A spring bobber is a MUST

I must agree 100%

The larger the perch the lighter the bite.

A spring bobber is a MUST

I dont like spring bobbers myself, but they would certainly help someone to catch more perch. I have a specific rod/reel I use just for perch that has a very soft tip, and some backbone once you get some pressure on it. Everyone has their own "way".

S.

The hut next to us caught zero, and the hut next to them caught zero. Pretty sure it was the spot. We atleast caught fish. The guy who brought us out even said the fishing was slow that day and they were moving the huts a considerable distance south of where we were.

But if it matters, we were using 6lb fluro, #6 mosquito hooks, and between 1/16th and 1/8th jigs. Live bait. ML rods.

Ling is delicious out of cold water.

I just take the "quarter-round"above the ribs, and then all of the meat behind the ribs. I leave the rib/belly meat on the fish as I don't prefer it (and it is pretty thin anyways). Yes lots of folks cube the meat and boil it in salted water until it is JUST cooked (not very long) and then dip it in melted garlic butter. It is good breaded and pan-fried, battered and deep-fried, and it makes an excellent chowder. I did smoke a ling once and it was OK, but definitely not the best use of that fish.

Must be coming on for supper time, I am getting hungry..........

And well done on the PB, Big Cliff!

Doug

Read somewhere on the net that when skinning a ling; do not let the outer skin touch the fillet. Slime or ling's protective coat changes the taste of the meat. I personally love to eat ling. The two strips down the back.

Congrats on the PB.