Finally Back On the Ice

Ronzo

Last season, I didn't get out on the ice a single time. Year before that I was only out a few times. But this year, I have a very special guest who wants to ice fish with me - my four year old daughter, Eleanor.

We live up near Sandy Cove, so on Friday I went for a walk with my spud, and scouted the ice out to 20 FOW. Found 5" or so all the way out, and the always-existent pressure crack was nice and solid, so Saturday morning, we packed up and made the 5 minute drive down to the lake.

After long walk pulling an extra 30lbs in my sled, we arrived and got set up. Drilled a hole for Eleanor, one for the flasher, and started on my own hole. That's when I heard it "OK Daddy, I'm ready to catch a fish now!" I had forgotten to explain that fishing is not catching!

However, lucky for me, we hit on the hot 'decoration' as we called them, and ended up over several schools of jumbo perch. Eleanor landed 6, while I managed 5. Considering how much time we spent talking about each fish we caught, rather than actually trying to catch more fish, not half bad!

Impressively, she stayed with it for 4 full hours before we got a little cold and decided to pack up and head for home. On the drive back, I heard lots of "That was fun! Let's go again!", so I'll call that a successful trip!

A few videos:

Her first fish:
https://goo.gl/photos/SGSss2ibeq2dv39V9

The surprise fish:
https://goo.gl/photos/c4Jy88LzARyK8C9YA

The jumbo:
https://goo.gl/photos/ik667zo4baL14Rxg7

e_1.jpg

e_2.jpg

Edited by Ronzo

priceless man

sounds so much like my recent fishing trip with my neice and nephew. Both accustomed to catching an unlimited amount of sunnies and gills off the dock with every drop of the hook and worm that the first thing out of my nieces mouth when we got on the ice...I WANT TO CATCH FIRST!

to which i had to explain that ice fishing is not like using worms off of the dock, it takes time and patience.

The flasher did keep the kids interested for a bit, but unfortunately the fish didnt come to play.

Thanks for this though, her smile is awesome haha

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks! Definitely one of the best days I've had on the ice, water, pier, bridge, whatever!

One fishing related note, I had my dead stick down the flasher hole, and rigged it with a big spoon. Dropped the spoon to 12 ft and gave it a jig every now and then. Shortly after, the jumbos would show up. The spoon was large enough that I had no intention of landing a perch on it, but as far as bringing in the big boys to play, it seemed to do the trick.