Big gull lake near northbrook ont.

tomO

Hello all, does anyone have any info on the fishing here. Was up in 2006 and the catching was less than poor. Thanks in advance.

Big Gull is our annual fishing trip 8 guys, first of June, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

You have to work for your Walleye there. Every year they seem to be in a different spot and depth. we have 3 boats so we spread out and search them out.

We fish during the day, jigs and worms on bottom. Different years we've caught fish 15 FOW and other years 55 FOW

Nice lake to fish with all it's rock structure. I like the lake because it's 85% crown land, not many cottages.

There is a few of our pictures on their site pictorial.

Just got back from 4 days up there. Love that lake. What kind of info were you looking for? I haven't explored much of the lake, and we stay in the very east end. Always decent fishing, but like FF said above, you sometimes have to work for them...but once you figure them out, the fishing can be really good. Its beautiful country any way you slice it, and I just love being there. One of my favourite places to be.

S.

Big Gull is our annual fishing trip 8 guys, first of June, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

You have to work for your Walleye there. Every year they seem to be in a different spot and depth. we have 3 boats so we spread out and search them out.

We fish during the day, jigs and worms on bottom. Different years we've caught fish 15 FOW and other years 55 FOW

Nice lake to fish with all it's rock structure. I like the lake because it's 85% crown land, not many cottages.

There is a few of our pictures on their site pictorial.

I didn't know that you went up there. I'm usually up there for the walleye opener/ May long weekend. Pm me before your trip and I can share what was working....or not working LOL. I have the same experience as you. You have to work to find them, and they are always somewhere different.

S.

I found Big Gull a pretty easy lake for bass, walleye and NP but that was years ago. Never had to go more then 3/4 of a mile to find fish.

When the old couple sold Kirk's Kove and the new guy took over he frowned on us for keeping 4 walleyes and one pike for dinner on the way to the fish cleaning house. Prices went up and it just didn't have that friendly atmosphere anymore.

The old couple use to have a HUGE pile of wood for camp fires and it was free. Great people to deal with. The new guy had 5 gallon buckets of firewood for $5 that was green and would put out a hot fire.

I also noticed the new guy wanted to cater to tree huggers and butterfly chasers....They also wanted to cater to large parties like weddings, etc but couldn't get the permits because the building they remodeled to hold them in hung over the water. They put the cart in front of the horse on that one. New guy was a carpenter not a business man back then.

Has that changed, did they sell it or are they still running it ? ? ?

Is it fishermen friendly or butterfly chaser friendly now ? ? ?

I miss going there.

Our group heads out end of May and chase the pike.

Lots of weeds, lots of pike and luckily very few OOS bass to worry about.

Last year we caught a ton of small pike (under 12") so the pike populations may be going up.

I know the wally guys won't be happy.

Funny, I've been going up there for a number of years now, and we rarely catch pike. I can only think of one pike we caught. You must be fishing the very west end, what they call little gull lake. I have a hard time even finding weeds on the east end. Its very rocky and deep. Tough to find fish, but we always get enough for a fish fry, and usually a few over the slot to keep it interesting as well.

S.

Dad started taking us up to Gul in the early sixties big pike walleye and bass till the late 90,s then it seemed to go bad. Oh yes jumbo perch and big bull bluegills. I think we will try it again early or mid June. Thx for the info.

Been exploring that area for the past 4 years and I loved it so much I talked my better half into 3 Acres on big Clear last summer. Crude beginnings right now but theres' always cold drinks and a grill at arms length. Plan to be up there every weekend from thaw to freeze up. Pm me if you're in the area to stop by or go for a fish.

Been exploring that area for the past 4 years and I loved it so much I talked my better half into 3 Acres on big Clear last summer. Crude beginnings right now but theres' always cold drinks and a grill at arms length. Plan to be up there every weekend from thaw to freeze up. Pm me if you're in the area to stop by or go for a fish.

Another great lake that I haven't been to in a few years. I used to ice fish it a lot. You should fish it through the ice, its great. I will let you know if I'm up there. Beers are on me! Land O' Lakes is my favourite area as well.

S.