Beaverton hut operator Bombardier went through the ice!

Tjames09

Operator should know better. Even though they have those floatation things attached it has been said a lot this winter that ice is unsafe on simcoe. Glad everyone got out safe this time.

There aren't many operators out there that would know better than this one. Simcoe is a big lake,and the ice has been "safe" in that area for over a month. Stuff happens. Kind of like a car accident. You just never know.

Most other operators on the lake would have went straight to the bottom of the lake. This one has extra safety measures in place in case something bad, like this, happens. They did a great job making sure everyone was safe.

S.

I'm not in favour of legislating small businesses out of business but in a case such as this I recommend that all operators install these inflatable bags on these big heavy machines. They most likely saved a life here. As driving down a highway at 100 KPH is deemed to be safe accidents happen that many times result in fatality and thus we are always looking to improve highway safety by engineering safety features in automobiles and in the construction of roadways. If driving on an ice covered body of water can be made safer I'm all for it.

I'm not in favour of legislating small businesses out of business but in a case such as this I recommend that all operators install these inflatable bags on these big heavy machines. They most likely saved a life here. As driving down a highway at 100 KPH is deemed to be safe accidents happen that many times result in fatality and thus we are always looking to improve highway safety by engineering safety features in automobiles and in the construction of roadways. If driving on an ice covered body of water can be made safer I'm all for it.

Just to be clear, the airbags didn't stop the machine from going through. He got hung up in the crack. Had something happened and the machine went down, the airbags would keep it afloat.

The machine looks to be 1/2 under water from the few pics. The person that was in the machine said his stuff sunk to the bottom. I consider that to be more than hung up Sinker. You are right about the Natural Resources folks investigating. For what? Maybe a fuel and oil spill if there was any but other than that what's to investigate? No personal injury or major water contamination thankfully.

They seem to be hauling people out on thin ice for money.

Its one thing for a single private sled to go through but when you have a load of paying customers you need to take a bit of care.

They should at least be looking at the situation to avoid future catastrophie

Edited by Dara

Dara, there really isn't much to investigate. The machine hit a crack and broke through the crack and or got hung up on it. Was there operator error? Mechanical error? Was the operator under the influence at the time? The purpose of any investigation is to determine the root cause or causes and then make recommendations in an effort to ensure it doesn't happen again. Not much to investigate here.

I understand what Dara is saying; an investigation to determine that there wasn't any form of negligence on the operators part.

Things like possibly the operator new it was chancy to cross the crack there; but decided to trim off an extra 15-20 minute ride to where it was known to be "safe"?

I have a good friend, that there's no way in the world I would get onto a sled if he were driving. The guy is nuts, taking way to many chances. Who knows, the driver of the bombardier might be related to my buddy and should not be driving anything with passengers? LOL

Dan.

You and I must know the same guy Dan. If he isn't going 140KPH on land, ice or sea he isn't going fast enough, he is actually a dangerous guy and I refuse to drive in a car with him. I don't think he will die of old age. But I have told him if he takes out an innocent person some day I will personally dole out some justice.

As far as an investigation maybe the OPP did talk to Hale's. I just don't see the MNR being involved here. I know Hale's wouldn't have anything to hide, there reputation is very good based on what I have read.

Dara, there really isn't much to investigate. The machine hit a crack and broke through the crack and or got hung up on it. Was there operator error? Mechanical error? Was the operator under the influence at the time? The purpose of any investigation is to determine the root cause or causes and then make recommendations in an effort to ensure it doesn't happen again. Not much to investigate here.

I understand what Dara is saying; an investigation to determine that there wasn't any form of negligence on the operators part.

Things like possibly the operator new it was chancy to cross the crack there; but decided to trim off an extra 15-20 minute ride to where it was known to be "safe"?

I have a good friend, that there's no way in the world I would get onto a sled if he were driving. The guy is nuts, taking way to many chances. Who knows, the driver of the bombardier might be related to my buddy and should not be driving anything with passengers? LOL

Dan.

Would any of these even fall within the MNR's mandate? A fuel spill maybe, but even that might be MOE.

Simcoe pressure cracks are wacky things. Spudded my way out the other day, got to the big pressure crack here and had to poke around for a spot where I felt comfortable crossing on foot. The ice under the pressure cracks hasn't frozen up either, it's just floating below.

MNRF has no jurisdiction here at all. Really, it was just an unfortunate accident that everyone walked away from. Lets not get in a huff about it and call in the authorities for nothing. Sheesh.

S.

What no inquest? :). Some people get freaked out over stuff like this but to me it just demonstrates that Hales is a good outfit and spends a few bucks to keep their clientelle safe!

Yup a pressure crack can open up in a few seconds any time of the day. and if the area has fresh snow. You can't see it

No one in the world can predict them. There would be no hut businesses if someone had to 100% wait for. "Safe ice"

I wonder what insurance rates are for these guys. Can't be cheap for liability insurance as an ice hut operate I would think....if some even do carry it lol.

I'm sure lots don't. That's why I stick to a select few. The only way I ride in a bombardier is if I'm last in, and right at the door. I don't trust those machines packed with 10 or more people. I"d rather take my own sled and portable and skip the cracks like they aren't even there.

S.

I wonder what insurance rates are for these guys. Can't be cheap for liability insurance as an ice hut operate I would think....if some even do carry it lol.

If they have to purchase insurance they would go out of business in one season because none of their clients would like to pay 2 to 3 times what it cost now to rent a hut.

You want more unemployment in the fishing industry, just keep demanding more government interference until ice fishing in a rented hut is a thing of the past you tell your grandchildren about.