Fall Solo Fishing Adventure - Whitefish, Walleye, Trout, Salmon and a few Pike

cl_fishin

Every fall a group of us heads north to fish a variety of waters for a variety of species, we put on alot of kms to fish some diverse types of water that ends with us targeting Whitefish for the canner. This year due to a couple new jobs and a wedding it became a mostly solo adventure other than a few days I spent with some other friends whose trip overlapped mine in one area (days 2-4). This year I decided to shoot a daily Vlog video series for my channel and it has been a lot of fun reliving the trip as I edit. Over the week I managed to catch 2 species of Trout, 2 species of Salmon, Walleyes, Pike and Whitefish. One of the highlights of the trip for me is catching Whitefish on my Centerpin setup which is loads of fun and then canning them. If you saw my post from last year you would know there was some debate as to the legality of canning the fish in camp and traveling home with them. I was always told that one the fish was prepared for consumption it was no longer part of your limit so canned fish could be transported, but as the question came up I made some inquiries with the Ministry and learned the wording of the law had been changed to "immediate consumption", so this year I froze the fish and then canned them at home, which actually worked out pretty good. There was a lot of interest in the canning process so I did shoot a video of me canning them which I will shared onced edited. Here are a few pics and screen grabs from the Vlog series and the Day 5 Vlog which is of the day I got to the Whitefish camp and started floatfishing for them. Days1-4 are also up on the channel if you are interested, it was a lot of fun and going solo was a fun challenge as well.

Fullscreen%20capture%201042016%20115807%

Fullscreen%20capture%2010252016%2040718%

f211666168_zpsdbnfxx3f.jpg

f128995288_zpsolz9cseg.jpg

f145541912_zpsqpzdwgul.jpg

f57367128_zpszncrqzxr.jpg

Fullscreen%20capture%201122017%2063227%2

Fullscreen%20capture%2012272016%2052333%

f367734960_zpsvkehnn7p.jpg

f163110472_zpsxhx6bbal.jpg

Landing.bmp_zpspqjvppgu.jpg

f367789544_zpszhrdh9bq.jpg

Very nice work Sir. Great photos too. A fishing video I can actually enjoy because no one is flogging tires or line every other minute. It would be nice if you would briefly describe what tackle, technique you are using. I see you were using a float but couldn't tell if it was a slip float until you said you had 14' feet of line under the water. A question, how long will you spend in one location before moving on to another? Another is how long will you stick with 1 presentation or lure before changing up? I'm often second guessing myself. It is wonderful to have an entire lake to yourself, including a ramp.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I really do enjoy making the videos and its a great way to preserve and relive the memories, I will share the rest as they come out.

@Bill M - I tried for them one spring on the fly but was a little too early for the hatch, I did see a few coming up but the bugs were barely started. I do want to try it again for sure. There a re a few caddis hatching in the fall when I am there but not enough to really get them going, just real sporadic occasional rises

Right on man! Absolutely fantastic! Whities are an absolute riot, you ever try fishing them on dries in the summer? Great pattern and a crap load of fun.

@Old Ironmaker I would spend about an hour or so in a location and then move on, I also will try those same areas again at different times of day if they are proven areas. Your graphs and/or Side imaging will often show if they are present too. I don't change up my presentation too much its usually a small ice jig and a waxworm, I sometimes mess with color but usually if they are present they will eat, the right depth is key though I like to get the bait a couple feet off bottom

Very nice work Sir. Great photos too. A fishing video I can actually enjoy because no one is flogging tires or line every other minute. It would be nice if you would briefly describe what tackle, technique you are using. I see you were using a float but couldn't tell if it was a slip float until you said you had 14' feet of line under the water. A question, how long will you spend in one location before moving on to another? Another is how long will you stick with 1 presentation or lure before changing up? I'm often second guessing myself. It is wonderful to have an entire lake to yourself, including a ramp.

Thanks for sharing.

@GBW he is way cooler than me

Very nice and now I feel like I'm reading a post from Eddy Veder the way you look, lol

Edited by cl_outside

Great videos, I have watched day 6 as well on your youtube channel, very well done and informative.

I know that place, stayed on the site next to the one you were on when I was there with my sons and brothers 3 years ago. We went end of August so the whitefish weren't in the mood, but did catch a ton of pike and enough walleye to eat for dinners. First time I was there, many years ago, we were even catching whitefish while trolling shap raps. Beautiful place and now that you have shared your knowledge on the whitefish, I am hankering to get back there again.