Pike set up for 2500 spinning reel

Garcia96

It all depends on the pike...under 30 inches it doesn't really matter. :)

The opportunities you have at trophy pike are limited. So you remember the fails. Swivels are the number one weak spot probably because the pike sometimes bites right on the swivel. I've had them opened several times. I use braided usually under 20 pounds. Occasionally it gives or is broken off. Good braided used right is just so consistently dependable and a pleasure to use. Mono? uhuh...especially as you get into the thicker mono needed. I'd fish with nothing less then 15 pound mono for trophies...you get up into the 20s and higher and it just does not have a good feel malfunctions with heavy use on spinning. Now the leader...wire will decrease the bite #s. Fluro 100 pounds usually does the trick but had an instant bite off on 125 pound good fluro this summer. Like a knife went right through it, clean cut edge. I'm rethinking leaders.

Edited by scuro2

You think I could get away with even 20 pound flouro for a leader? If I did 20/20 or 20/30? If the 30 doesn't effect the jerkbaits actions. These would work with 2500 reel? And thanks drifter for sharing the video!

I think so, 20 is what I use majority of the time. 30 on the rare occasion. But that's what my bro uses, he says he likes it better. We both use what works best for us. As far as affecting the action of a jerkbait, I haven't noticed any but I could be wrong. And yes both work great, me and my brother both have 2500 size shimano spinning reels.

You and your bro hasn't got bitten off yet? I'm going to do PP braid for sure 20 pound test. Just un sure of the leader. The flouro is a maybe with jerkbaits but will be okay with spoons and size 5 memos spinners? Also do I put a bit of mono before I put braid? Just seems weird having 3 line on 1 spool. And lots of good replies and advice thanks a lot guys!

I use 15-20 lb pp and the same for fluoro, sometimes.

The truth is, and ive stated it here many times, im often fishing pike with 10-15 lb PP or suffix 832, no leader, in current, shallow rocks

I very rarely get bit off.

I guess im just lucky with that.

I also use much shorter rods than most, a 6'7" medium heavy and spinning reel

I personally find, and yes its sounds rediculous, the heavier I go on line the more pike bite me off

Edited by manitoubass2

It all depends on the pike...under 30 inches it doesn't really matter. :)

The opportunities you have at trophy pike are limited. So you remember the fails. Swivels are the number one weak spot probably because the pike sometimes bites right on the swivel. I've had them opened several times. I use braided usually under 20 pounds. Occasionally it gives or is broken off. Good braided used right is just so consistently dependable and a pleasure to use. Mono? uhuh...especially as you get into the thicker mono needed. I'd fish with nothing less then 15 pound mono for trophies...you get up into the 20s and higher and it just does not have a good feel malfunctions with heavy use on spinning. Now the leader...wire will decrease the bite #s. Fluro 100 pounds usually does the trick but had an instant bite off on 125 pound good fluro this summer. Like a knife went right through it, clean cut edge. I'm rethinking leaders.

When I'm purposely chasing toothy critters I use titanium leaders.

http://www.finn-tasticcanada.com/home.html

I use flouro when chasing trout and usually end up with a bunch of pike as they hang together in the fall.

Haven't had any bite offs as I'm usually trolling big spoons and they get caught in the jaw and not deep where their teeth could hit the leader.

You and your bro hasn't got bitten off yet? I'm going to do PP braid for sure 20 pound test. Just un sure of the leader. The flouro is a maybe with jerkbaits but will be okay with spoons and size 5 memos spinners? Also do I put a bit of mono before I put braid? Just seems weird having 3 line on 1 spool. And lots of good replies and advice thanks a lot guys!

Happened only once last season. As far as the spoons/spinners are concerned I would say you would be fine using the leader. Yes you put the mono before the braid as a backer, so the line doesn't slip. If you goto a tackle shop and have them put the line on they should do it all for you. Or you could do as mentioned before and use a piece of electrical tape if you don't want to use the backer.

You really only want to fill about 1/3 of your spool with mono. I always keep a cheap spool of 8 pound test red wolf from canadian tire for all my backing needs. You will still be able to get 150 yards of braid on your reel. That should last you a while. After a couple seasons if you start to see your backing after a long cast, replace your braid with fresh new braid

When I'm purposely chasing toothy critters I use titanium leaders.

http://www.finn-tasticcanada.com/home.html

I use flouro when chasing trout and usually end up with a bunch of pike as they hang together in the fall.

Haven't had any bite offs as I'm usually trolling big spoons and they get caught in the jaw and not deep where their teeth could hit the leader.

There is a definite drop off in bites as soon as you use anything but fluoro leaders. To date have only had one clear cut bite off over 100 pound fluoro. I've had the braided cut above the fluoro...like the pike attacks at a foot above the lure...been making longer fluoro leaders too

There is a definite drop off in bites as soon as you use anything but fluoro leaders. To date have only had one clear cut bite off over 100 pound fluoro. I've had the braided cut above the fluoro...like the pike attacks at a foot above the lure...been making longer fluoro leaders too

Was it a big pike? And ok maybe I will bring my reel to sail or natural sports. I have lots of cheap mono but need to buy the braid and flouro Carbon