Back Lake Brookies

spooner_jr

There are a number of small stocked lakes near our cottage, and this weekend I'm going to get out and try for them through the ice. I've never ice fished for them - any tips on what to use would be appreciated. I do have tip ups, ice rods etc so not new to ice fishing, just brookies. Also, what's your favourite way to cook them?

Can't fish shallow enough, look for wood, keep moving until you find them.

X2

I've had luck mostly in less than 6 ft

Used set line with small minnow, or jigging small jig head with grub or small trigger x grub

If we had a chance at larger specs I'd upsize lures but the stocked lakes around us are mostly small specs ... pan fried in butter is very good ...

Shallow, yes, but I don't find moving really helps. I find brookies like to cruise around under the ice. They don't sit still.

I set up in a shallow flat with a muddy bottom, maybe some wood or rock along shore, but I set up and wait them out. The tend to do laps around the lake. You will get a flurry of action, then nothing, then another flurry.

They are curious. Noise seems to attract them. I've even taken a stick and stirred up the bottom in the holes and caught them.

They are very hit or miss.

2-3" dace on a set line. Some lakes they like main lake points, quick drop-offs etc and others they like flat mud bottom. Typically dirty water = go shallow on mud flats, clear water = look for sharper breaks and main lake spots. What Sinker said, you could be doing everything right and have fish right below and still not get bit, they're like that in the winter.

I've used ice slip bobbers with success for Splake in the past. I don't remember what I put on the business end though, I am thinking a worm but might have been some type of grub or mealworm or other buggy squirmy thing. I am sure that would work for brookies as well.