Removable rear casting deck

mike rousseau

Hey gang

So I'm strongly considering making the back of my boat more comfortable for whoever is casting back there when I go for bass or musky or even jigging walleye

I have a 16 foot tiller with what I would call a standard layout

Splash well in the back... gap... pedestal seat... gap... pedestal seat... gap... front deck

There is a "deck" that goes all around the boat that's about 10-12 inches wide that the removable addition would rest on

I figure my 2 options are

1- build a deck that will cover the gap at the back of the boat between the drivers seat and the motor (bad for rod storage as they usually hang out the back of the boat)

2- build a deck in the middle of the boat between the 2 pedestals

Anyone on here build there own removable casting deck?

Pictures?

Tips?

You gotta imaging Fisherpete in the back of my boat in 3 foot waves doing battle with a chunky upper 40" musky with only 12 inches of footing to his disposal lol

Thanks

download (20).jpg

3/4 inch ply.

I drew the jig out on cardboard and measured for consistency. Jig sawed the thing out and then sanded all of the corners off so everything was nice and round on the ends.

Then a bit of outdoor carpet, some glue and staples, i upholstered the carpet to the deck. Throw a 1x1 underneath that rests against the front side of the front bench seat to stop it from sliding backwards.

Whole thing weighs about 20lbs is totally removeable and doesnt budge rattle or make a sound and is litterally a better casting deck than ive used in some 16 foot boats.

I build one for the front of my boat. It fit between the console and the existing front deck. I think that was simpler than what you are contemplating.

I may be able to find some pictures; but I am not sure how helpful they would be for your situation.

So your saying extend my front deck to like the live well in the above pic ?

So your saying extend my front deck to like the live well in the above pic ?

I can't see the pics that you posted.

My old boat had about 20" of space between the front deck and the console. It was pretty simple to build a little wooden box that just dropped in that space. That gave me some extra storage and a larger deck up front. I didn't have to fasten it to the boat because it really couldn't go anywhere.

Your situation my different.

attachicon.gifdownload (20).jpg

3/4 inch ply.

I drew the jig out on cardboard and measured for consistency. Jig sawed the thing out and then sanded all of the corners off so everything was nice and round on the ends.

Then a bit of outdoor carpet, some glue and staples, i upholstered the carpet to the deck. Throw a 1x1 underneath that rests against the front side of the front bench seat to stop it from sliding backwards.

Whole thing weighs about 20lbs is totally removeable and doesnt budge rattle or make a sound and is litterally a better casting deck than ive used in some 16 foot boats.

That is sweet, I want to do that to my 14', I also like the side gunnels that are rod holders i want to do that too!. I have some work for the spring now!

"Back of the boat? How do you access the tiller if you have a rear casting deck. I'm missing something. If you put a platform in the centre how do you get to the front easily? Where will Fisherpete sit when you are running full out? We built a platform in a 14' tinny and mounted the pedestal on it, unsafe as it made the seats centre of gravity too high. After the maiden voyage I took a crowbar to it.

E886AA94-6A1A-48AF-85DE-181BB3E50BED.jpg

This back deck was done by a member here who I bought my boat from. The boat is pretty much the same size as yours. This is the best pic I currently have, sorry but you get the idea. It has 3 attachment points per side, is completely removable and is aluminum angle reinforced on the end and underneath. You could easily install a seat post mount and put a seat on it to comfortably drive a tiller then remove for fishing. Myself I would prefer this than a guy fishing right beside me on a boat of this size. If it where a 20 footer then maybe. Anyhow, just another idea!

Edited by porkpie

"Back of the boat? How do you access the tiller if you have a rear casting deck. I'm missing something. If you put a platform in the centre how do you get to the front easily? Where will Fisherpete sit when you are running full out? We built a platform in a 14' tinny and mounted the pedestal on it, unsafe as it made the seats centre of gravity too high. After the maiden voyage I took a crowbar to it.

I can put a rear platform and my tiller would have clearance still... the platform would be behind my drivers seat to the backboard

If I make one that crosses the centre of the boat yes I would have to step over it on my way to the bow

I got it now Mike. Very doable. I might opt for extending the front deck back to the livewell. It will have both advantage and disadvantage. You will have enormous storage below and that is a big limitation in smallish boats. Will there be enough room for 2 to cast without getting in each others way? If you get in sync. with your partner no problem. You could mount 2 removable seats just behind the extended deck. If 2 go out leave 1 at the dock. You have the base for the casting seat up front. You can store the butt seat below when 2 guys are up front. With that set up you could build in floor storage boxes even a cooler too. The options are endless.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Nice boat by the way Mike. You can get away with 5/8's PT ply, not much deflection rate with that span. I would use aluminum to frame and support it. Then again we have a scrap box full of aluminum from salvaged boats. Make sure you put something between the wood and aluminum. A small strip of roofing snow and ice shield works great.

If your deck is high enough you can attach it on the sides with aluminum L bracket and then slide milk crates underneath the deck for support. That's what I do cause milk crates r great storage and they also make great muskie boxes with downspout. Crestliners decking is perfect height for this but not all boats are.

You need a bigger boat for more comfort......... I know, not what you wanted to hear but the new 17-18' boats with 93-99" beams will solve your comfort problem and make you safer in rougher days. Adding more weight and making the center of gravity higher is not a safe way to go.