Stiff reel

skdds

Hi guys

Seems that one of my reels is stiffening out on the ice, better at room temp at home. I was thinking there is moisture that is freezing up inside the reel but it should be dry as was indoors since last winter. Reel is an aluminum Pfllueger. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Skdds

Some grease and oil formulas can absorb water, causing what you're seeing at colder temperatures. A good clean out with WD-40 (water displacer formula #40) and a re-grease with a water-resistant grease would fix you right up.

Surprised that Pfluger would use a non-moisture resistant grease. Unless the water has just worked into and emulsion with the oil or grease due to the action of the gearing.

ok, thanks for all the great responses! If this is an easy fix myself I'll do it or perhaps I am better to send in to a local shop to clean it out and specify cold weather use for the correct grease. Not sure I want to take apart the whole reel. Next year I'll be more prepared.

tx skdds

Edited by skdds

its simple, basic reel maintenance, its like putting air in your tires. very very simple. remove the handle, take out the 3 screws, clean out with q-tip, put new lube in. done

only tools needed is a small precision phillips screw driver, a q-tip, new grease, and maybe wd-40.

What type of grease would you guys recommend?

Full synthetic reel grease with PTFE

I use Super Lube grease and oil on all my reels, very smooth and never have freezing problems,

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000735868.html?eid=PS_GOOGLE_HD+%7C+PLAs_Shopping+%7C+All+Products_All+Products&gclid=CIGc0eLD4NECFRC1wAodAa0MUA

I have used Cal's reel grease in the past and it is excellent too.

I believe Shimano's reel grease is good as well but no personal experience.