#BellLetsTalk - day (NF-NF-NF!)

GBW

Well it's been an hour or so since Bell kicked off #BellLetsTalk day so please share and post! All those with a "mental disorder" (I have the trophy to prove it, I think) can use the extra support and reminder there is help out there. Please re-post #BellLetsTalk on social media as much as you can today so the donations pour in to help those in need and get the MUCH needed support available to all. Support costs, so let's get donations to raise that support and awareness! I will be posting as much as I can tomorrow while at work so forgive me if I "offend you" by seeing my posts for #BellLetsTalk on my social media feeds. Trust me, the more we share the less the stigma and the more others who don't or never had to deal with it learn. Let's light social media up with #BellLetsTalk !! Please help me help others here cause I have needed the help and without the support system out there from causes like this, I have no clue where I'd be or IF I'd be right now... Thanks all!!!!!! Oh, please smile and I hope you have a great day most of all!!! Honest.

Edited by GBW

Hi, don't post a lot, I'm a pretty reserved guy, but am fearless when it comes to preaching the benefits of mental health.

Five years ago I felt like crap. I had lost my job a year or two prior, and although I'd found new employment I was still in bad shape from the way it all ended. Wrap that up with a lifetime of being bullied and I was a 30-something year old guy with no idea how to be content.

I went and saw a therapist. Talked to someone who understood how the brain works. Someone who could help provide perspective on life, someone who helped me understand that most of my problems were just based on how I (didn't) think things through.

People like to poke fun at others for "going to see a shrink". They'll probably never learn that ( a ) manning up and facing your actions head-on is about as "tough" as it gets, and ( b ) it'll be the most self-beneficial thing you'll ever do.

Five years on, I still see my therapist every 6 weeks. I don't struggle with the things I used to struggle with, but I use him as a sounding board for things going on in my life, and as a way to face up to the decisions I make every day. I have ten times the number of things on my plate these days as I did five years ago, and I cope about 20 times better!

You'll never regret an investment like this... IMO the next great leap in human health will be the day (which appears to finally be possible) when humanity as a whole understand that mental health is just as important as physical health.

Feel free to disagree - it's your life :)

Hi, don't post a lot, I'm a pretty reserved guy, but am fearless when it comes to preaching the benefits of mental health.

Five years ago I felt like crap. I had lost my job a year or two prior, and although I'd found new employment I was still in bad shape from the way it all ended. Wrap that up with a lifetime of being bullied and I was a 30-something year old guy with no idea how to be content.

I went and saw a therapist. Talked to someone who understood how the brain works. Someone who could help provide perspective on life, someone who helped me understand that most of my problems were just based on how I (didn't) think things through.

People like to poke fun at others for "going to see a shrink". They'll probably never learn that ( a ) manning up and facing your actions head-on is about as "tough" as it gets, and ( b ) it'll be the most self-beneficial thing you'll ever do.

Five years on, I still see my therapist every 6 weeks. I don't struggle with the things I used to struggle with, but I use him as a sounding board for things going on in my life, and as a way to face up to the decisions I make every day. I have ten times the number of things on my plate these days as I did five years ago, and I cope about 20 times better!

You'll never regret an investment like this... IMO the next great leap in human health will be the day (which appears to finally be possible) when humanity as a whole understand that mental health is just as important as physical health.

:clapping:

Been spreading this all over FB. :(

No doubt. There is always going to be people out there criticizing others while sitting on their asses doing nothing. The poor decision of one person in the massive Bell Media organization should not taint the efforts of the company. They are practicing what they preach by doing what they're doing today. I'm sure that if there is any wrongdoing on the part of the radio station, it'll get fixed.

one of the most important posts ive seen on this site in a long time.

Well done sir

Cheers....Very well said. I applaud your courage for seeking the help, and applaud your willingness to share your story. This is the only way things will ever change in a positive direction.

Thanks for posting this GBW and Ronzo for your post. Mental health is something that a lot of people suffer but don't even know. A lot of support is needed and understanding from those around.

There are hardships in life that most go through specifically health,fear, loss of life, loss of wealth, and its usually not in our control when these things happen. I think one thing that can help with dealing with these hardships is kindness towards others. Sometimes just a smile or word of encouragement can go a long way.

I have had my ups and downs and what always helps me is getting out and enjoying nature. This is why I am a sucker for camping, and fishing. I feel it helps me forget all the troubles and hardship life throws our way.

Edited by huzzsaba

Your not alone... ive shared my experience in one way or another here.

Very nicely put and much love man! I too see a psychiatrist and its tough at first. But the benefits are huge!

I will say I seen two that I was not comfortable with before I found an awesome one.

I have a wife and shes absolutely amazing at listening to me. But sometimes I need to step out of that for whatever reason.

If ya need help people, dont be ashamed or scared. It really really helps in my experience.

Edited by manitoubass2

To all of you I thank you for posting a bit of your story to show "it's not just you"!!! Ronzo, thanks! Huzzsaba, thanks! Rick, thanks!

All of YOU I thank you but it took these men courage to even say one word when they didn't have to and for that I applaud you! :clapping::worthy:

Your not alone... ive shared my experience in one way or another here.

Very nicely put and much love man! I too see a psychiatrist and its tough at first. But the benefits are huge!

I will say I seen two that I was not comfortable with before I found an awesome one.

I have a wife and shes absolutely amazing at listening to me. But sometimes I need to step out of that for whatever reason.

If ya need help people, dont be ashamed or scared. It really really helps in my experience.

This is about as on-the-nose as it gets. As close as our personal relationships are, there are things, big or small, that make us bite our tongue. Finding the right person to talk to allows you to get it off your chest. But you're not just venting, you're giving your therapist opportunity to understand where you're coming from, and provide insight as to why you are where you are.

No one is saying it's easy to make the first call, or to get in the door to the first session. It was very hard for me to accept that I needed mental help. I'll never look back and regret getting help. If you're concerned about anonymity, look for someone in another city.

Sending the love right back your way dude! I've definitely noticed your passion for life, and I have great admiration for your willingness to help anyone in any way you can.

To all who thanked me for my post, the biggest thanks would be for even one person who's feeling down to pick up the phone, make the call and go talk to a professional. We're all pulling for you, whoever you might be.

No one is saying it's easy to make the first call, or to get in the door to the first session. It was very hard for me to accept that I needed mental help. I'll never look back and regret getting help. If you're concerned about anonymity, look for someone in another city.

To all who thanked me for my post, the biggest thanks would be for even one person who's feeling down to pick up the phone, make the call and go talk to a professional. We're all pulling for you, whoever you might be.

This 1st step IS by far the hardest but take baby steps from there and slowly move forward to all in need! Be well

No doubt. There is always going to be people out there criticizing others while sitting on their asses doing nothing. The poor decision of one person in the massive Bell Media organization should not taint the efforts of the company. They are practicing what they preach by doing what they're doing today. I'm sure that if there is any wrongdoing on the part of the radio station, it'll get fixed.

Well said! Always cynics trying to bring down a good cause. Easy to sit behind a keyboard and find something wrong. How about using that energy to help the cause?

Ronzo excellent post and thank you for sharing your story!

This is about as on-the-nose as it gets. As close as our personal relationships are, there are things, big or small, that make us bite our tongue. Finding the right person to talk to allows you to get it off your chest. But you're not just venting, you're giving your therapist opportunity to understand where you're coming from, and provide insight as to why you are where you are.

Sending the love right back your way dude! I've definitely noticed your passion for life, and I have great admiration for your willingness to help anyone in any way you can.

Thanks man! Glad youve improved and dealt with your issues.

Unfortunately my psychiatrist is hours away, we only speak via video conference. So I also see a counsellor once a month.

At first I needed it almost daily. Everyday I walked out feeling at least a little improved.

This all started because I had PTSD, and I had no idea. I just started having massive panic attacks and anxiety that loterally crippled my life.

It became normal for me to call in sick days for work. Then missing a week at a time. Then it spread to my home life. Secluding myself, sometimes in the bathroom for hours, leading up to days in my bedroom.

Then my issues got HUGE when I realised alcohol provided temporary relief. Im not gonna go in depth, but it got bad. Not drinking to have fun thats for sure. Then it got worse again when I was prescribed a benzo. That helped tonnes at first. Then I got addicted to that as well. So it helped me work, be fairly normal in family life etc. But I was just numb. For example, our dog died. Man I loved that dog to the moon and back. My response was, well nothing. Now I couldnt function without medication.

It all just became a game to NOT FACE THE PROBLEMS I WAS HAVING.

After seeing a psychiatrist and being diagnosed with PTSD, things improved drastically. I was able, slowly, to remove drugs and alcohol. Again, big improvement.

Every little challenge, that felt huge to me at the time, built me back up.

And it just continued...

Im not perfect now, but I can deal with life and my personal reality.

Also shout out to some OFC members that literally listened to me cry my eyes out. Miigwitch and a thousand thank youse!!!

There is help out there, very good help. Ask if you need it. And to people that know someone suffering, be understanding and try to help. Dont preach or tell people to suck it up etc.help by listening, like really listening.

My first appointment was an hour of trembling, feeling faint, and crying. So yeah, that first appointment with a professional can be overwhelming. But its the best step you can make.

Sorry for the rant. This is just proof positive someone like me needs to talk, and sometimes through different avenues.

Be happy! Be healthy!