Do you have a preferred boat brand?

Tjames09

Interesting read.

I have owned a pile of boats and motors, never anything bigger than the old (1966 model IIRC) Starcraft Holiday 18' which today would I believe be classed as a twenty foot, since they seem to measure from the extreme edges instead of the waterline these days. And no motor bigger than a 120 Mercruiser.

Having said that, when I was in the market the last time I was looking, I had a VERY PRECISE idea of what I wanted, what I needed, and what I liked. And I asked the Head of Mechanical Engineering from an Engineering school about the difference between fiberglass and aluminum hulls. He asked me, did I ever pull the boat up on sand or a rocky beach. hell, yes of course I do, I am a FISHERMAN!!!!! He said, "Doug, buy aluminum." (And I don't run fifty miles an hour in heavy seas, so the ride is less important for me)

I bought a new Sylvan 16 footer, and a new Honda 40 HP, put them on a top-quality trailer, and never looked back. I did put the high side bunks on the trailer for recovering the boat by myself in strong side winds (that was the best money I ever spent on a boat accessory).

I would never buy an outboard that is not a Honda. These things are quiet, don't stink, run forever on a tank of gas, and none of them ever gave me a problem. Oh, except the one time I dropped my 7.5 hp kicker on the garage floor, that was a problem...............but my fault.

Lots of great advice here and mostly from people that have very clearly been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The folks that are emphasizing that the OP needs to do his homework have absolutely got it right. And that goes double for the folks that advise you to make sure you can TRAILER it with your vehicle, and STORE it wherever that will be. I had to put a swing tongue on my trailer to fit in the garage of this house when we moved here - but I knew that before I bought this house!

Good luck!

Doug

The G1 was also an option for me but I figured with the new model it would have a better resale value if I ever needed to sell it than a model that's been in existence for 15+ years already. Both motors actually now have a 10yr warrantee also or a 6yr warrantee+free controls...I opted for the 6yr as the gauges and controls for the G2 were just over $3000 but like I said above...it was still actually cheaper than the same boat with the 150 four stroke Merc. Now just the long wait for delivery in aprox 8 weeks

I've had my Alumacraft Pro Magnum tiller since 2000....damn fine boat! I think often of replacing it, but just cannot come up with a good reason. I'm on my second Yamaha (a 50 for the first 10 years, now a 60)...love them!

I had a Suzuki on my first boat...no complaints at all...good motor. Had a Johnson on my second boat...couldn't wait to get rid of it. When I was a kid, Mercury's were terrible...we had two...both lousy. A guide in Florida 10 or so years ago, told me the guides down there (Sanibel area) called the Mercs "black anchors".

If I was buying again, I'd go Alumacraft, and either Yamaha or Suzuki on the power.

I fish lakes in northern michigan, as well as the French river (usually 4-5 weeks a season.

Tell us what you end up with.

Sorry to sort of bring this back up. Has anyone had experience with Polar Kraft? I hadnt heard of the brand until looking for boats. I found a nice in the used market for a reasonable price, but have having not heard of the boat makes me uneasy.

Sorry to sort of bring this back up. Has anyone had experience with Polar Kraft? I hadnt heard of the brand until looking for boats. I found a nice in the used market for a reasonable price, but have having not heard of the boat makes me uneasy.

I have one but fit and finish is not great. stuff like the splashguard is cheap metal clearly not deigned for boat. Also would not get up on plain without weight up front. Iv since moved on from it and would not consider another

Edited by beertech

My buddy Teddy has a 2011 Polar Kraft Frontier 179WT, Will has a 2016 Frontier 179WT and I have a 2015 Polar Kraft Frontier 179WT. None of us has had a problem so far with these vessels and we get a lot of questions at the launch about them from other fishermen. Will traded his Lund in for a Polar Kraft because he liked mine so much.

I will match up my boat with any Lund, etc as far as ride, quality, fit and finish at a lower price.

Take a look here at the warranty that Polar Kraft has on the "V" model boats which come with MarineDeck PTP that carries a LIFETIME warranty. Check out other boat to see if they match that warranty. Also if buying used search out Rotting Transoms on many used Lunds. This is a known problem that Lund has tried to shy away from for years. Also search out on the Internet "Pitting Holes" on Lunds. Get a model if you can that has not had these problems.

Lund is still a great boat, don't get me wrong. However, many of their smaller models are not what they use to be ever since Brunswich took over.

Don't get caught up in the Name Game or you might be paying more for less.

As far as Beertech not getting up on plane fast enough, well it sounds like outboard issues not boat issue. Mine LAUNCHES out of the water like a rocket with a E-TEC 90 HO on the back with 3 large men aboard. Under powering any vessel will cause hot shot problems and or planing problems.

http://www.polarkraft.com/construction.php

http://www.polarkraft.com/FrontierModel.php

Good Luck Boat Hunting

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any thoughts on the Legend Xcalibur 16? Its a used model. Seems to have the items Id want in a boat, 16 foot 82" beam, with a 60hp motor, and the flip down seating. Im getting hit and miss reviews about Legend though.

My fathers friend got one of those and it was great for him. He got it about 6/7 years ago and Craig Ritchie (spelling of last name may be off) gave review of the boat. The ONLY reason he no longer has it is due to age and not able to fish anymore. If he was able then he's still be in it for sure as he enjoyed the ride even though he went with an under powered version as he was a troller.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Legend Xcalibur 16? Its a used model. Seems to have the items Id want in a boat, 16 foot 82" beam, with a 60hp motor, and the flip down seating. Im getting hit and miss reviews about Legend though.

Would be a good choice.

Sounds underpowered as they often are.

You want at least 75% of max rating for the boat.

I've had my Legend 18 Xtreme for 3 years now and it's been great. I'm using it out of lake Ontario about 90% of the time and it performs well with a 115 Merc 4 stroke and 9.9 kicker. Only regret I have is not going with the 20' model.

You might find a 60hp a bit slow with 4 people in the boat unless 2 of them are kids, (can't remember if your original post said 4 adults or just 4 people) on that note, kids don't stay kids forever lol my son who was 4' tall when I bought my 1st boat is now over 6' tall at 15 years old.... fits nicely in my second boat but my 1st one was a bit snug for both of us the last year I had it lol. A boat is not quite like a car, you might trade your car in every few years, but boats tend to stick around a bit longer. The one you're looking at might be a good fit right now but you might also wish you had more power a year or two down the road. An option would be to look for a 90hp (new or used) and upgrade from that 60hp if you find it a bit lacking after a year or two of use.

Went to the boat show and feel more overwhelmed with choices now than before. Thought I new what I wanted in a boat but I honestly feel less sure now. I was looking for something simple, a side console, 16 feet and enough power to move around the lake. My wife felt a bit differently and was thinking more friendly to having 4+ people on the boat which increased the budget and different boats, all of which were full walk throughs.

Anyways, there was a few brands that stood out to us, but without a ton of knowledge about boat brands and reputation etc, I feel a bit unsure. We were leaning towards Lund, Lowe and Legend. They all offered a similar boat in a similar price range. All of them had a rear bench foldable, with 60hp motors, trolling motors. It was pretty important for the boat to seat atleast 4 people.

Do you guys prefer one brand over another? Is one brand considered more reliable?

thinking more friendly to having 4+ people on the boat

not going to happen with that motor, it will not get up on plane

Thanks guys. Seems a lot of manufacturers put 60hp motors on boats of similar size, I guess Ill run into this issue regardless of brand.

I was looking at a new smokercraft 161 xl (the 90" beam), and it also only had a 60hp motor. Its a bigger boat with same engine.

I love princecraft. But it's ideal only for me and the waters I fish.

If I was loaded I'd buy like 10 boats and throw a finger to the sky.

Also my 12" tinny rocks! I love fishing with a bail bucket and soaked feet! I'll never sell it but I might sink it. Only time will tell

Own a 2004 16 ft Crestliner s/c and am very happy with it. Next boat would be a dual console or full W/T Aluma or Star craft of at least 17 ft as a 16ft of the same config kills a tonne of space. Buy the max hp you cannot afford and you won't regret it and stay away from the "Black Anchors" at all costs. You won't regret That decision either.

Not sure what a black anchor is. Theres a 2004 Tracker Targa listed with a 115. Its a 17.5' boat. Little older than I was looking, but has the size and space Id need, and the price is right.

I know people arent crazy on tracker, or mercury lol. This has both.