Do you have a preferred boat brand?

Tjames09

Craig,

Every V boat has a keel. I believe what you meant to write was strake. The Keel is the centerline of the boat. under the Bow where the hull comes to a V is the keel. Any other ribs on the bottom of the boat is a strake.

I agree with Craig. Not every aluminum V hull has a keel. They all have a centerline seam, but not a keel.

aluminum_hull.jpg

Craig,

Every V boat has a keel. I believe what you meant to write was strake. The Keel is the centerline of the boat. under the Bow where the hull comes to a V is the keel. Any other ribs on the bottom of the boat is a strake.

The keel is a physical structure that's either attached to, or configured into, the bottom of the hull to provide directional stability. A seam down the middle where the hull plates join together is not the same thing.

Most boats have one keel, usually made from heavy extruded aluminum, which is attached over the center seam so it can serve a dual purpose of providing directional stability while also protecting that joint from physical damage. Usually T-shaped in cross section, a real keel is quite unlike the stamped seam caps that are sometimes passed off as keels due to cost-cutting measures. Boats may have multiple keels, normally one down the center and one or two more at the back on each side, although specialized race boats might use multiple keels, none of which are located on the centerline.

Some V-hull boats use a one-piece lower hull which is folded along the centerline. While the fold gives the hull a V shape, that fold itself is not a keel either, and doesn't give the boat the kind of directional stability that a proper keel does. That's not a knock against one-piece bottoms, by the way - I quite like them, especially when they then have a proper keel attached.

Strakes look like a keel but serve a different function. Keels provide directional stability, while strakes are normally attached closer to the chines in order to provide additional lift. They're also widely used on pontoon boats, which otherwise are more prone to plow through the water than plane up over top of it.

In cedar strip boats, a "strake" is one line of wood strips that runs continuously from bow to stern.

Bottom line to all of this is still the same. Pay attention to the construction details to be sure you get what you think you're paying for. The retail price means nothing, it is quite possible to pay a lot of money for a second-rate product.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

The problem with questions like this, is that guys are loyal to the stuff they've bought and can't fathom or admit that it may not have been the best choice.

As for the outboard, do a little research, talk to marine mechanics, it won't take long, it's all there in black and white.

As far as being one (or more) boat types married to a certain engine, what's to stop you from buying the boat and trailer without the engine, the driving to the engine maker of your choice and having a different engine installed? The first boat dealer is NOT going to turn down your money... the engine place will GLADLY take your money and install their engine on your boat..... just saying!

I've had limited experience with motors, both have been Mercury, 1st was a 1995 40hp 2 stroke oil injected, it came with my first boat. It was 12 years old when I bought it, only ever had one problem with it, in 2014 the stator died when I was on vacation in Bancroft. Died on a Tuesday morning and was back on the water on Thursday afternoon. Had my choice of 3 Mercury dealers within 15 mins of our trailer.

Moral of this story is, consider how far you might have to drive for certified parts and/or service. For example, non E-tec certified dealer are not allowed to work on E-tec engine without voiding the warranty.

A 20 year old motor will have parts break or wear out more than a new one, (well duh!)

Most new motors, doesn't matter the brand, are way more durable and reliable, than motors built 5 or more years ago.

If you plan on buying a brand new motor, most of the stories you hear about old crappy motors always breaking down etc. are not really valid (mine included). You will get a nice reliable motor of what ever brand you pick if you buy new.

Comparing an old motor to a new one is like comparing prune juice to bacon, just not an equal comparison.

As far as being one (or more) boat types married to a certain engine, what's to stop you from buying the boat and trailer without the engine, the driving to the engine maker of your choice and having a different engine installed? The first boat dealer is NOT going to turn down your money... the engine place will GLADLY take your money and install their engine on your boat..... just saying!

You can definitely do that. You probably won't get as good of a deal as you would if you bought a whole package though.

With the Brunswick

As far as being one (or more) boat types married to a certain engine, what's to stop you from buying the boat and trailer without the engine, the driving to the engine maker of your choice and having a different engine installed?

You could do that for sure. But with Brunswick, they give you a package deal price. It will cost a fair bit more to buy the boat and trailer and then buy another outboard and get it installed.

If it's a brand new motor, new design, new technology, all the prospective buyer can go on is the company's track record.

I'm thinking it's more important to buy something reliable that doesn't need repairs, instead of having dealers nearby to do repairs.

The problem with questions like this, is that guys are loyal to the stuff they've bought and can't fathom or admit that it may not have been the best choice.

As for the outboard, do a little research, talk to marine mechanics, it won't take long, it's all there in black and white.

Yes. Some people offer their opinions as an option based on what they've experienced while others state their opinion as fact.

I paid $1000 extra for my 115 Yammy when I bought my Lund new in 2007.

In 2007 Merc started making their own 115 4 str power heads

Till then they used the proven Yammy power heads.

I'm always reluctant to buy new unproven technology.

At the same time E-tec came on the scene. Sounded amazing. Same problem. Too new.

Edited by captpierre

Yes. Some people offer their opinions as an option based on what they've experienced while others state their opinion as fact.

I know I can come across like that. I didn't mean too, it's just my opinion not fact.

To be honest, I thought it was common knowledge about the Merc and BRP stuff. JMO again. I'm just trying to help the OP, not trying to step on toes.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Perhaps some people have an ego that big, but if I buy something that's a dog, I don't mind people knowing. Good products deserve good press, crap service or bad product deserves to be mentioned!

Edited by porkpie

I don't think that's necessarily true. Perhaps some people have an ego that big, but if I buy something that's a dog, I don't mind people knowing.

I'm like that too. I've bought some dogs and I will admit it. Not just outboards, any product.

But there are some guys are too proud or in denial or something, could be ego, I don't know.

I know I can come across like that. I didn't mean too, it's just my opinion not fact.

To be honest, I thought it was common knowledge about the Merc and BRP stuff. JMO again. I'm just trying to help the OP, not trying to step on toes.

:good:

To be honest, I think the brands have strengths in different hp classes and they seem to win and lose them. I run mostly in the 200 and up class and Mercury is still dominate with the XP Pro...BUT, Evinrude's G2 is a BEAST and winning major market share.

If you are leaning towards aluminum another big decision might be if you want a welded hull vs a riveted hull, that g3 someone posted earlier was riveted and looked pretty good.

I thought G3 was a Yammy owned company or was at one point? I looked at one a few years ago and was going to get it then life 'hit the fan'

All very good points made here. My StarCraft is powered by a 115 Mariner which is a Yamaha/Merc hybrid. I have found that Merc mechanics are becoming more rare. Mercury has very specialized tools and not all dealers are willing to invest the bucks for them. There is no longer any Merc specific marine parts/repair place here in Haldimand and the closest dealer to me is almost an hour to Simcoe at Proctors Marine.

Having a dealer to service locally is important. Buying a boat in cottage country may save some money but having to tow it up there for warranty service gets expensive if that's their policy.

All very good points made here. My StarCraft is powered by a 115 Mariner which is a Yamaha/Merc hybrid. I have found that Merc mechanics are becoming more rare. Mercury has very specialized tools and not all dealers are willing to invest the bucks for them. There is no longer any Merc specific marine parts/repair place here in Haldimand and the closest dealer to me is almost an hour to Simcoe at Proctors Marine.

Having a dealer to service locally is important. Buying a boat in cottage country may save some money but having to tow it up there for warranty service gets expensive if that's their policy.

I guess you will have to sell that boat to me then, not only do I have a merc dealer down the street but it's in my mind one of the best rigs out there.

I really scored when I found my baby, my lady too. I going to hang on to them both for a while. If I ever do decide to sell her someone is getting a great boat. 20 year old boat and people still give me compliments at the dock, some think she is a newer boat. Enjoy that Superfisherman Bassasin. Bassasin is my email address. 2 Bassasins with Superfisherman 190's! Mine measures just under 19'. Best laid out boat on the market. When I move a few seats around there is more room than my buddies 25 footer.

One thing I found out at the boat show last year was the Lund was bought by Merc, so they only come with Mercs. I would have bought a Lund but I wanted a Yamaha or Honda on the back. Still could have done it through the dealer but the cost went way up. Apparently Merc has bought Lowe as well.

Anyway, found a used 2011 G3 (Yamaha's boat brand) with a 115 on the back. Awesome boat. Now I just need to be awesome at fishing.