My $0.02 worth

Big Cliff

I post a fishing report "A perfect day", 11 replies. I post a fishing related topic "A trip of a life time", 28 replies.

I post about "Kevin O'Leary declares", 82 replies.

Then I get slammed for posting "political" threads and the funny thing is that the people that are complaining about the "political threads" aren't the ones commenting on the fishing related threads.

I don't post to just "Stir the pot" as has been implied, when I post on here it's to either help someone or to learn something. Discussing things that are important to me fishing related or not is how I learn. I read all the replies, I learn from listening to other peoples point of views, I don't always agree with them but I learn from them.

I've gone to other "fishing" sites in the past but post a question and wait a week and you might get one or two answers. Post a question on here on almost any topic and you'll often have a response within minutes, that's why I've been around here and that's why this site has been around for longer than any other fishing related site.

Fishing is important to me but there is much more in life than just fishing so I'd like to suggest that if fishing is the only thing in your life that is important, go visit the "fishing only" sites. If you want to see more fishing related posts on this site then try posting or contributing to posts about fishing instead of whining about NF posts.

And that folks is my $0.02 worth.

I don't follow any of these political threads Cliff and don't what it was that upset you, but I do recall you saying something the other day about not posting to political threads anymore then right after that you did start a political thread again.

Maybe that's what threw someone off ?? :dunno:

while I agree with you, it's not that others don't want to post but how many times can you say " great story" "thank you for sharing" " amazing trip". It seems like your padding your post count. I am one that absolutely loves everyone's stories, and reports. This is one of the few forums where many on here go to lengths to paint the picture and make you feel like you're there with them in their reports.

As for the political posts, that's an easy avenue to b@#$% bout the world and what its becoming. People are less likely to praise that to B@#$%. its just how we are wired.

I don't follow any of these political threads Cliff and don't what it was that upset you, but I do recall you saying something the other day about not posting to political threads anymore then right after that you did start a political thread again.

Maybe that's what threw someone off ?? :dunno:

Ya, you are right Lew!

I post a fishing report "A perfect day", 11 replies. I post a fishing related topic "A trip of a life time", 28 replies.

I post about "Kevin O'Leary declares", 82 replies.

Then I get slammed for posting "political" threads and the funny thing is that the people that are complaining about the "political threads" aren't the ones commenting on the fishing related threads.

I don't post to just "Stir the pot" as has been implied, when I post on here it's to either help someone or to learn something. Discussing things that are important to me fishing related or not is how I learn. I read all the replies, I learn from listening to other peoples point of views, I don't always agree with them but I learn from them.

I've gone to other "fishing" sites in the past but post a question and wait a week and you might get one or two answers. Post a question on here on almost any topic and you'll often have a response within minutes, that's why I've been around here and that's why this site has been around for longer than any other fishing related site.

Fishing is important to me but there is much more in life than just fishing so I'd like to suggest that if fishing is the only thing in your life that is important, go visit the "fishing only" sites. If you want to see more fishing related posts on this site then try posting or contributing to posts about fishing instead of whining about NF posts.

And that folks is my $0.02 worth.

First of all, I don't believe that using number of replies a thread gets is a way of determining the quality or validity of thread. Especially when comparing two topics of complete difference. While fishing has a finite set of rules and techniques, politics has as many opinions as there are citizens...even more if you consider how many opinions there was by Canadians during the US election.

Secondly, we are not generally directly affected by fishing related material whereas politics affects us all, like it or not. Ultimately, I couldn't care less how Joe Blow puts the minnow on his hook. Try upside down :dunno: .

Starting a thread about politics is like asking a question with more than one right answer and then being shocked there's 82 replies. As you mentioned, it's usually always the same people posting reports and commenting and political issues....BUT it's usually the same people starting the merry-go-round political threads. Personally, I think you like the attention your threads get. You're a smart enough guy and you've seen enough times how these threads turn out, yet you can't resist firing them up. Hey, until the day comes that politics are off limits, knock yourself out. I don't make the rules so as long as you put NF behind it, you can cause as much controversy as you like. :good:

This is called General Discussion

Kinda covers all topics doesn't it?

Hunting, fishing, the great outdoors, whatever you like, just keep it clean.

Its pretty easy to see a topic is political and not bother to read it.

Thats fine. But it actually can be done still on this forum. Just click on it and it takes you to a subsection on the same page.

Many forums have this to keep it streamlined to one page

Regardless of whether this forum would benefit from separating fishing from non-fishing, I can tell you from 30 years experience dealing with people and processes...CHANGE is EVIL...good change, bad change, change for the sake of change, whatever...people hate change. It scares them.

Regardless of whether this forum would benefit from separating fishing from non-fishing, I can tell you from 30 years experience dealing with people and processes...CHANGE is EVIL...good change, bad change, change for the sake of change, whatever...people hate change. It scares them.

I agree. It would rock my world to see one extra button on the top off the page???

Have we convinced the moderators to spend 10 mins and create an off-topic forum yet?

Agreed. This keeps coming up and the hot button topics seem to be increasing. What is the harm in creating a separate section for those threads? In addition, if something goes sideways on the general section just move it over there too.

Agreed. This keeps coming up and the hot button topics seem to be increasing. What is the harm in creating a separate section for those threads? In addition, if something goes sideways on the general section just move it over there too.

But if they make a forum for general discussion, there would be very little content in the fishing related section. Lol

If there is an off topic I think everybody is going to look there anyway just to see if somebody needs trailer or tire help.

They may not click on political threads but otherwise no difference.

To have a strictly political area..meh, can't see that working real well. Right now there are only a few political threads, people do keep them to a minimum. To have its own area I think we are inviting trouble...either it wouldn't get used or many members would only hang out there and miss a lot of good fishing which is what this forum is all about anyway. We just get a bit distracted waiting for good ice.

Here's my two cents...it has nothing to do with managing extra topic folders and everything to do with the business of the forum. Why is having two folders, fishing and non-fishing, such an issue, when in fact there is already:

ODC Team Discussions

OFC Team Entries

Boats, Motors

Fishing Tackle,

Miscellaneous,

Fishing News,

Announcements,

Photography,

Computer Help,

In Memorium,

Product Reviews

There isn't ONE folder now!...and a separate folder for product reviews?? LOL The last entry was July 2015!

Personally, I don't care. I suggested it a long time ago and all hell broke loose. But to have 10 topic folders that get relatively little use in comparison to the main Discussion forum and to say we don't like having separate folders is silly. Is having NF topics separate a good idea? Maybe not...maybe having close to half the daily activity based on nothing to do with fishing is bad for business. :dunno:

cant say i disagree with splitting the NF from the fishing threads. I would like it if the reports that i spent 7 hours making didnt dissapear to the second page within an evening because of a multitude of daily joke and poltiical threads bump it.

Im not hating on these threads because they are appropriately placed in the general discussion tab, but maybe our reports and fishing related questions can be placed somewhere more appropriately? That way people actually see that youve posted a report without having to flip back pages?

A sub category would still be something that needs to monitored. people would post stuff in general discussion no matter how many times we chop up the site. Worse yet I will still get the same number of P.M.s about he said she said in nature. We keep them in the same section so we can see them at a glance. We also do not wish to encourage inflammatory threads. i have been very liberal on letting things run there course but it seems people want to make this a political site and it isn't. We are working on what the new cut off point is for them. The owners are tired of getting hollered at for running a thread to long and running a thread to short if we get hollered at no matter what we do we will choose the easiest path. You all as members have the responsibility to treat the other members with utmost respect at all times the rules are a good guideline. We are not babysitters we are here to organize a place for everyone to feel comfortable and talk about your outdoors life. We could be hardasses and use the ban button but in 4 years I have yet to use it. I as well as the other owners are happy that this site is here it is a memorial to how we met as well as a place where we can talk to our old and new friends.

The cure in my opinion is to state your facts in a thread and then listen to the replies. It is not a place to argue, insult or belittle someone into seeing your point. All of the political threads have one thing in common and that is people can't accept someone else's views and that is the reason they are an endangered species. You will find a dozen sites that will let you tear into each other on any subject you want so if that is what you are looking for to get thru the winter then feel free to join one and then once it is out of your system then come here and share a story with your friends here. This site is run in the old fashion way we are about respect, helpfulness and friendship it is what we started with and what we see as our future.

Thanks for reading this

Art