Kawartha walleye opener

dave1965

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced fishing cottage resort for a friendly tournament with my boys for the opening of walleye May 13th to the 15th in the Kawarthas.

I've fished Sturgeon Lake (near Pleasant Point) but my usual place is booked solid and I don't mind trying some place new and expanding my walleye horizons! LOL!

Of course not expecting anyone to give up their honey holes but if you could suggest some general areas for the "picks", I'm sure we 'll find our way around!

Thanks in advance,

"DR" Dave.

Goose Bay, the river coming in from Fenelon, Hickory Beach, Emily Creek, are all good places to start for spring walleye. As for places to stay you could try Lunge Haven or stay at one of the motels in town and just dock your boat at one of the marinas. It's a bit of a pain to have to travel back and forth but there aren't a lot of places on Sturgeon lake to rent cabins.

Good luck!

speak with my friend wayne haggsma owner operator of pigeon lake resort !!! great spot prime location and all the things you could possibly need

Yup, great spot.

I don't have much to offer because I live in the area and have never stayed at a resort, so I have no first hand knowledge. If you need info on any of the kawartha lakes, just pm me and ask. I've fished them all plenty.

S.

speak with my friend wayne haggsma owner operator of pigeon lake resort !!! great spot prime location and all the things you could possibly need

Will also recommend Pigeon Lake Resort... been staying there for years even before Wayne and his family bought it years back... watched his kids grow up as our Fishing Club used to go there twice a year :clapping: :clapping:

Yup, great spot.

I don't have much to offer because I live in the area and have never stayed at a resort, so I have no first hand knowledge. If you need info on any of the kawartha lakes, just pm me and ask. I've fished them all plenty.

S.

And he isn't kidding, he catches fish even when the osprey can't!

I've stayed at this place several times and it has everything you could possibly want. Be sure to book the Motel suites as you overlook your boat and the view is great. Also if you don't feel like cooking the restaurant up front is very good (not the one in the Inn as its way overpriced).

The fishing can be incredible on Stony but as with any lake you need to know where and what.

http://burleighfallsinn.com/

I've stayed at this place several times and it has everything you could possibly want. Be sure to book the Motel suites as you overlook your boat and the view is great. Also if you don't feel like cooking the restaurant up front is very good (not the one in the Inn as its way overpriced).

The fishing can be incredible on Stony but as with any lake you need to know where and what.

http://burleighfallsinn.com/

Didn't that come under new management about three years ago? I'd heard that new owners were taking over (nothing bad to say) , just wondering when you stayed there?

Didn't that come under new management about three years ago? I'd heard that new owners were taking over (nothing bad to say) , just wondering when you stayed there?

I think its changed hands a few times but the motel is (was?) clean and its in a good spot on the lake. I've never stayed at the Inn.

Last time I was there was roughly 4 years ago with the wife and kids. At the end of the day If you have a comfortable and clean room and are on good water by your boat that's whats important to me. All we used it for was to sleep for the most part. People also used to camp on some of the Islands.in behind the Horseshoe..There are a couple of other semi affordable places to stay on the lake but this is the only one I have experience with on Stony.

My family has stayed at 3 Castles many times dating back to 1956. There is an entry in their guest book with my father's signature! I also stayed there with my family for many years. The view is awesome, the owners at that time were very nice, fishing was good for walleye & I landed a 42" musky while jigging for walleye with 6 lb line, a 1/4 oz white jig with a small minnow.

• 3 months later...

My son and I stayed at several different places on Sturgeon over the years The White Swan Cottages on the Bobcaygeon end of the lake is nice and clean . New owners took over a couple years ago haven't stay with them because we have been staying on Balsam and trailering our boat to Sturgeon and Pigeon when we come up . I'll send you a PM on fishing Sturgeon if you are going there . Good luck.