Anyone have experience ice fishing salmon?

wuchikubo

Hey everyone,

It's been a while, work has been busy and I haven't had much time to check in or do much fishing. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with ice fishing salmon on Georgian Bay? Any ice hut operators that could be recommended? Please PM me if you have any info that you don't want to post here.

Thanks,

HearingFish

A long time ago I used to make that drive to Owen Sound and Wiarton to ice fish. There was a decent group of guys up there and ice fishing in Owen Sound was done along side the breakwall by the grain silos and from just off Kelso Park pretty much out to the marina in the main channel. Also fished right out in front of the east boat launch. the old Goodyear plant was across the road

No defined shoals or structure - it was more intercepting roaming fish. Way more steelhead were caught but a fair number of smaller coho's from what I remember as well as some brown and lakers. Fished them just like on Simcoe for lakers with jigging spoons and minnows. About 50% of set lines would use roe bags under a float or tip up/strike indicator (willow branch)

That was when fish runs up on Georgian Bay were at their peak though. As Bill said when there's ice you'll see the guys out there in the proven spots