Humminbird Piranhamax 193 Portable for ice fishing?

Tjames09

Found a good price on one of these units, was wondering how it would work for ice fishing? Its a portable unit, but not sure entirely what that entails. Id imagine I need to buy an ice transducer for it.

You can exchange for a ice transducer for free

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/TransducerExchange/

I would do the exchange. As for the sonar, I'm sure it would work fine. I used to use an old greyscale lowrance x28 and it worked just fine to mark jigs and fish, so a newer colour unit should work great. I used to use jury rig solutions for boat transducers, but they are a pain. If I had the option for exchange (which you do with a new in package bird transducer) I'd do it every time!

I used a Piranhamx 160 portable for a couple years and it worked just fine. Could see my jig and swivel down 100ft no problem. Went to a 570 after because I got it cheap and it had higher res and a bigger screen.

I think that unit will work just fine.

I have one, works well, not excellent but it is a low-end unit. Personally, I would spend an extra hundred or so to get a better unit, I will be upgrading.

Pretty substantial price difference between this and a flasher. I saw one of these on sale for $149. I haven't seen a flasher for less than $500.

• 2 weeks later...

I called and unfortunately the ice transducer is on back order until mid February.

My Dad just bought a Piranha Max 197 c that was being blown out at CT. The plug for the transducer has 3 pins in the shape of a triangle.

I called and the lady said an ice ducer isn't available for this model. Does this make sense to anybody?

edit- called the USA #, an ice ducer is available, called CAN back with a part #, she says "oh, ok, but it won't be in until late February"

So to do an exchange, the ducer has to be unopened in the original packaging, so my Dad can't use his unit until likely after ice fishing season is over if he wants to exchange for an ice fishing ducer, hahaha

I'm a Humminbird guy but this is poor customer service.

Edited by chris.brock

My Dad just bought a Piranha Max 197 c that was being blown out at CT. The plug for the transducer has 3 pins in the shape of a triangle.

I called and the lady said an ice ducer isn't available for this model. Does this make sense to anybody?

edit- called the USA #, an ice ducer is available, called CAN back with a part #, she says "oh, ok, but it won't be in until late February"

So to do an exchange, the ducer has to be unopened in the original packaging, so my Dad can't use his unit until likely after ice fishing season is over if he wants to exchange for an ice fishing ducer, hahaha

I'm a Humminbird guy but this is poor customer service.

Check Radioworld for the iceducer. They had them not long ago.

S.