What line for general use tipup?

Tjames09

Looking to spool a tipup, its really going to be used for a variety of fish, I dont want to pigeon hole into one specific species. I have an assortment of LBS of braid and Mono at home to work with. Also do you run a fluoro leader with them? It could be targeting anything from perch, walleye, and pike.

Depends on the kind of tip-up, but if you're referring to the 'flag' style tip-up with the submerged spool I usually just use whatever 8-10 lb decent mono I have lying around. 'Tip-up line' does exist but I don't find it neccesary. I only run a leader if I'm fishing for trout in clear water, otherwise no, walleye and pike wont shy away from clear 10 lb mono.

I use mono for tip ups.

An advantage mono might have over braid, if you do hook something bigger, the elasticity will give you a buffer and some forgiveness if the fish takes a strong run since you're hand bombing it in.

I dont use tip ups often but when I do its mono. Either 10, 12 or 14lb. Depends what ive been tying harnesses with.

I use mono for tip ups.

An advantage mono might have over braid, if you do hook something bigger, the elasticity will give you a buffer and some forgiveness if the fish takes a strong run since you're hand bombing it in.

My tip up is mainly for whities Chris, so I think the 6ft floro leader will hold up. I dont use it for lakers. If a laker hits it, then I might be in trouble. Then again, if he gets off, no biggie . YUCK. LOL

I use tip ups mainly for pike and use 30 or 50 pound Dacron tied direct to a 30lb 7-strand SS home made quick strike rig.

How are you guys using mono for larger fish? Do you have any issues getting cut when they take off and run? That's why I like the heavy Dacron, not really for the strength but for the ease of handling. Easy to see and untangle too after a fish and you have a pile of line on the ice.

Burt ?

I use tip ups mainly for pike and use 30 or 50 pound Dacron tied direct to a 30lb 7-strand SS home made quick strike rig.

How are you guys using mono for larger fish? Do you have any issues getting cut when they take off and run? That's why I like the heavy Dacron, not really for the strength but for the ease of handling. Easy to see and untangle too after a fish and you have a pile of line on the ice.

Burt

You seen my rigs at Hooters, didnt you? LOL

Thin braids can and will cut your hands if you hook a fish that wants to go for a run. I use the same tip ups for big pike as I do for brookies. I prefer the thermal (disc) ones. I spool them with heavy dacron and tie on a little cleo or similar with the hook removed. For pike I attach a wire quick strike rig to the cleo - for trout its a few feet of flouro to a small hook.

ThanKS for the replies guys. Do you guys prefer circle hooks or quick strike rigs? Also do you go weightless or use some split shots

i throw a weight on my wire leader.

Wire leader down to a red treble hook through the dorsal. (this is for pike) as mentioned before. i love a small spinner blade at the hook as well to make a bit of flash.

It really depends on what you're targetting and how you're rigging. If you're pike fishing with big dead bait, then no weight is neccesary but some people still will use some. If you're fishing for walleye, most people will use a single baitholder style hook and a couple split shot 10-15" ahead, since you're normally fishing live bait and in deeper water where you need to make sure you're in that strike zone.

Substituting split shot for a flashy spoon like a williams wobbler is a popular choice for trout fishing. I do it quite often.